Luggage tags

CruiserErin

It’s been awhile since I last cruised and procedures have changed!   We are cruising soon and I am platinum status, but when I went to print my luggage tags, they are orange, but do say Priority.   Is this correct?   The luggage tags aren’t a platinum color?   Thanks for any responses!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CruiserErin said:

It’s been awhile since I last cruised and procedures have changed!   We are cruising soon and I am platinum status, but when I went to print my luggage tags, they are orange, but do say Priority.   Is this correct?   The luggage tags aren’t a platinum color?   Thanks for any responses!

I believe the color helps them know the deck it belongs on

10 minutes ago, CruiserErin said:

The luggage tags are color coded by your location/deck on the ship.  Not by your status.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Upcoming cruise on Legend our tags are red and next door cabin friends have green. We are both forward of the forward elevators

Are one of you port side, and the other starboard?

Like Rob said, luggage tags don't have anything to do with muster stations. 

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Technically, you don't even have to print luggage tags (or boarding passes) using colored ink.

Exactly. Just printed out all the goodies for my upcoming PANORAMA cruise and need a new color module for the printer. But the PRIORITY label was very clear (just not red as in the past).

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

My guess is that you are booked on Deck 7, interior cabin category 4D, and that your friend is booked in a Balcony cabin, Category 8D.

Guess again. Next door means next door. Both balcony.

My guess: color doesn’t mean much. In fact I don’t think I have ever had anything but red. Maybe it’s alphabetical. 😉

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Guess again. Next door means next door. Both balcony.

My guess: color doesn’t mean much. In fact I don’t think I have ever had anything but red. Maybe it’s alphabetical. 😉

Nope, it's definitely by deck.  One of y'all has an ink problem in your printer.

1 hour ago, ParrotRob said:

Nope, it's definitely by deck.  One of y'all has an ink problem in your printer.

Nope. Color comes up on the screen before printing you know.

So, how many other colors have people gotten? There should be quite a few on a large ship.

FWIW, just for fun I logged in to take a looky look at our luggage tags. We're booked on the Freedom sailing 09/13/2020 out of Galveston. And the luggage tag appears to be a pink(ish) color. We're in stateroom 8309(8D), with FTTF clearly indicated with the FTTF logo below our stateroom number. Does that tell me  anything? I honestly dunno. :classic_unsure:

Our tags were orange, deck 6 on Glory last year. They also say "Aft-S" (S for starboard, I'm sure) but we were mid-ship, not aft. In fact, we were pretty much dead center on the deck. The same goes for our March cruise on Horizon. Orange tags, deck 6. Again, they say Aft-S even though we are dead center on the deck. Our tags for Valor deck 8 earlier this month printed out red, but if I remember correctly, they were purple when viewing them online. One of my color cartridges is probably low, so I think that's why the tags came out more red. One thing that they all have in common is that they're all interior cabins. Whatever the secret code is, obviously the colors help them to quickly direct the luggage.

Here's a thought. If our tags from earlier this month were supposed to be purple, but they printed out red because of low ink, would that have caused an issue? We decided to take all of our luggage onboard with us, so they never ended up handling it, but it makes me wonder. If they're printed black & white, they'll just look at the deck and cabin number. But if they print out one color when they should've been another color, and the crew just glances at them and uses the color to determine where they go, would they send them to the wrong deck? When I noticed they printed out a different shade, I wasn't going to waste the ink to print them again. I thought to myself, if they accept them black & white, what's the big deal? But maybe that different shade/color would've thrown them off.

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Our tags were orange, deck 6 on Glory last year. They also say "Aft-S" (S for starboard, I'm sure) but we were mid-ship, not aft. In fact, we were pretty much dead center on the deck. The same goes for our March cruise on Horizon. Orange tags, deck 6. Again, they say Aft-S even though we are dead center on the deck. Our tags for Valor deck 8 earlier this month printed out red, but if I remember correctly, they were purple when viewing them online. One of my color cartridges is probably low, so I think that's why the tags came out more red. One thing that they all have in common is that they're all interior cabins. Whatever the secret code is, obviously the colors help them to quickly direct the luggage.

Here's a thought. If our tags from earlier this month were supposed to be purple, but they printed out red because of low ink, would that have caused an issue? We decided to take all of our luggage onboard with us, so they never ended up handling it, but it makes me wonder. If they're printed black & white, they'll just look at the deck and cabin number. But if they print out one color when they should've been another color, and the crew just glances at them and uses the color to determine where they go, would they send them to the wrong deck? When I noticed they printed out a different shade, I wasn't going to waste the ink to print them again. I thought to myself, if they accept them black & white, what's the big deal? But maybe that different shade/color would've thrown them off.

Obviously the cabin number has to be read on every individual tag, so ultimately the color doesn't matter in the end.  I suspect the "wrong" color might have caused, at worst, a mis-routing on the initial, cursory sort and perhaps a slight delay, but I'm sure that's all.

If anyone doesn't believe the colors are deck-specific, all they've got to do is walk the halls the last night and look at the tags still hanging in the luggage in the halls.  It's quite obvious.

On Liberty last year I was on deck 6 and they were Orange, just like Organized Chaos on deck 6.

I am on my third iteration of my next cruise, so I have PDFs of my Sunrise, Radiance and Pride luggage tags. All three are for cabins on deck 1 and all 3 are brown. I am also in my second room on the pride. All 4 luggage tags, regardless of Starboard or Portside are brown.

In 2012 on the sensation I was on deck 4 and it was also brown.

All are interior cabins.

(I guess my OCD of saving all of this came in handy. Or is that not actually handy and just pathetic?)

6 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Obviously the cabin number has to be read on every individual tag, so ultimately the color doesn't matter in the end.  I suspect the "wrong" color might have caused, at worst, a mis-routing on the initial, cursory sort and perhaps a slight delay, but I'm sure that's all.

I agree. I think that's all it'd amount to.

1 hour ago, Galatz said:

On Liberty last year I was on deck 6 and they were Orange, just like Organized Chaos on deck 6.

I am on my third iteration of my next cruise, so I have PDFs of my Sunrise, Radiance and Pride luggage tags. All three are for cabins on deck 1 and all 3 are brown. I am also in my second room on the pride. All 4 luggage tags, regardless of Starboard or Portside are brown.

In 2012 on the sensation I was on deck 4 and it was also brown.

All are interior cabins.

(I guess my OCD of saving all of this came in handy. Or is that not actually handy and just pathetic?)

I never thought about saving the PDF's. Not that I need to, but I never know, sometimes I like to reference old material for one reason or another. Like when using this forum, for example. I never really thought I'd need to look back at our old luggage tags, but here we are. It'd be a lot simpler to store the PDF files than to hold on to the paper luggage tags/boarding passes. I wish I had thought of that sooner.

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I never thought about saving the PDF's. Not that I need to, but I never know, sometimes I like to reference old material for one reason or another. Like when using this forum, for example. I never really thought I'd need to look back at our old luggage tags, but here we are. It'd be a lot simpler to store the PDF files than to hold on to the paper luggage tags/boarding passes. I wish I had thought of that sooner.

I keep literally everything. The entire cruise package and cruise contract, just in case. Maybe its OCD or maybe its being an accountant...not sure which. Plus I back it up to google drive just in case!

For info, we are first time cruisers and will be sailing on the Breeze. Our luggage tags are magenta, which does not correspond to our cabin category.

The colour of the luggage tag is probably a code for the onboard luggage handlers to know where the bags go, but likely has no relevance or bearing to anything a guest would/should care about.

22 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

For info, we are first time cruisers and will be sailing on the Breeze. Our luggage tags are magenta, which does not correspond to our cabin category.

The colour of the luggage tag is probably a code for the onboard luggage handlers to know where the bags go, but likely has no relevance or bearing to anything a guest would/should care about.

The color of your luggage tags are based on your deck, not category you are in.