Staggered Embarkation Times at Fort Lauderdale

harryw

3 minutes ago, harryw said:

I was wondering if the listed times are only suggested. If passengers arriving early will

have to wait. 

We had a 1 PM time for our Amazon Explorer cruise in Ft. Lauderdale.   We went to the port at 11 and joined the line of passengers waiting to board.  The line actually went quickly.  I think you can go whenever you wish regardless of what it says on your boarding pass.  The embarkation started at 11 AM, but all depends on when disembarkation ends.  We were allowed to wait in a lounge for 4, 5* and Neptune Suite passengers and we were the first to board.  There was a larger waiting area for other passengers.

Karen

1 hour ago, harryw said:

For our cabin deck, the time listed  in the HAL letter is 3 PM. But we would prefer to board earlier.

The same procedure was suggested for my two NS roll calls on 8 and 15 Dec.  Not all passengers received the notice so most just disregarded the times and checked in around 11:00 AM with boarding at 11:30 AM. 

We had a cruise in early Dec and received the staggered email.  We went at 10:40 am and was shocked to see how few people were there.  VERY quick security (no one else in line) and checkin.  The upstairs VIP area had a few people in it, far fewer than normal, even by the 11:30 boarding time.  We got on quickly, went to our cabin and then to the MDR for lunch at Noon.

Read the message carefully. If it says something about inspections (usually the ship's first arrival in the US after a while sailing elsewhere), then boarding will begin later and it might be a good idea to avoid getting to the port early. I wouldn't wait until 3 PM, but I wouldn't show up at 10-11, either.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 8:21 PM, Loreto said:

We had a 1 PM time for our Amazon Explorer cruise in Ft. Lauderdale.   We went to the port at 11 and joined the line of passengers waiting to board.  The line actually went quickly.  I think you can go whenever you wish regardless of what it says on your boarding pass.  The embarkation started at 11 AM, but all depends on when disembarkation ends.  We were allowed to wait in a lounge for 4, 5* and Neptune Suite passengers and we were the first to board.  There was a larger waiting area for other passengers.

Karen

Karen!  Hope you and your husband are well!  Sorry we did not have tea or drinks or something...but lovely meeting you.  Be interesting to hear how your Amazon trips compared.

Best for the new year.

1 hour ago, lizinvan said:

Karen!  Hope you and your husband are well!  Sorry we did not have tea or drinks or something...but lovely meeting you.  Be interesting to hear how your Amazon trips compared.

Best for the new year.

Hi Liz,

Sorry we didn't get together, enjoyed meeting you, too.  You can email me at loreto at charter dot net (no spaces.)

We enjoyed the cruise, problems and all, but the Prinsendam cruise 7 years ago was much better, enrichment and entertainment wise and it was just 23 days long.  We really don't care for the Caribbean and seeing the same ports over and over.  We were very happy with all our Amazon River excursions...just did HAL excursions, and I did my 3 hour jungle hike out of Manaus...up the Rio Negro.

Happy New Year to you!

Karen