Visiting Statue of Liberty on NYC Port Call

IsanTom

My wife and I will be in NYC in April on the MSC Meraviglia 9AM to 5PM. What is the best way to get tickets and visit the Statue of Liberty during this port call.

Can we buy tickets before hand? Can we walk to the departure point to visit the Statue of Liberty. Is there a tour of Ellis Island included? My wife is Thai and will

be applying for US Citizenship next year, so she's looking forward to this NYC visit. Any help would be appreciated. We normally avoid on board excursion purchases

due to the high costs and large groups.

The only seller of tickets to the SOL and Ellis Island is www.statuecruises.com

There are resellers -- your cruiseline might bundle a statue tour with other things (transportation, etc), but the ferry to the island is the Statue Cruises one, and it goes to both islands.

You must buy tickets in advance, as they sell out.  6 months is recommended if you want to climb to the Crown.  A few months if you want to go up inside the pedestal of the statue.  A couple of weeks ahead of time just to get on the island.

The ferry boat will be crowded.  You buy a ticket for a specific time to go to the islands, you can transfer from Liberty to Ellis on any boat and return to shore on any boat

Don't know if you can walk there since I don't know where you are starting from, but it is easily reached by subway.  If you are starting from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal it is walkable . . . but it is a long (but simple and pretty) walk.  Check on Google Maps for distance and directions.  There are also ferries (same company) from New Jersey, if you are docking there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Don't know if you can walk there since I don't know where you are starting from, but it is easily reached by subway.  If you are starting from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal it is walkable . . . but it is a long (but simple and pretty) walk.

I think MSC uses the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  Assuming that's the starting point, Google maps says the walk would be about five miles.   Given the OP's limited day in NY and what they'd like to do, I don't think walking to the Statute of Liberty ferry would be the best use of their time.   Subway would be the best bet.   (On a weekend, perhaps even a cab or Uber.)

@IsanTom  I'm not trying to dissuade you from visiting the Statue of Liberty, but in case you aren't aware of this, do know that you will have a great view of the Statue from your ship during your sail-in to Manhattan and your sailaway.   (If for some reason your ship is docking in Brooklyn [Red Hook] and not Manhattan, you'll still get a view of the Statue, but not the same sail-by.)

The Meraviglia is scheduled at the Manhattan Cruiseport for Wed April 15 from 7 am to 6 pm, so the Op.’s timeframe of 9-5 is reasonable.

For the subway I would recommend walking to 50th & Broadway between 7th & 8th Ave and just taking the #1 southbound local train to South Ferry.  (KISS acronym)

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Edited by 138east
  • Like 1

I highly recommend booking at least the pedestal. There is a small museum in there, plus it’s uncrowded, air conditioned, and clean restrooms. Ellis island has a recorded tour that you get headphones for, self guided. Make sure to bring ID, and lines to get though security get long. Ellis island also has a private hard hat tour on the non restored area of the island. 

36 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

IMHO, this would be the one time where I would take a ship's excursion if its offered.

Why? This is so easy, buy a ticket ahead of time, take a cab or uber downtown, get in line. Statue Cruises is the only company that ferries to the islands.

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

For someone that doesn't know their way around NYC, just getting on a bus, being dropped off, etc is probably easier. Plus, they won't need to worry about tickets.

You don’t need to know anything about NYC, just get in a taxi.  Book online. Is there even a private excursion? I really can’t think of anything easier to do on your own. You print your tickets at home, I believe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Why? This is so easy, buy a ticket ahead of time, take a cab or uber downtown, get in line. Statue Cruises is the only company that ferries to the islands.

I agree.  This is one to do on your own.  And why be tied to a schedule with 50 of your newest friends?  

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree.  This is one to do on your own.  And why be tied to a schedule with 50 of your newest friends?  

No way on earth I’m sitting around waiting on a tour operator to load a bus in Manhattan, then sit on it to Battery Park. If the OP is mobile and off the ship to the #1 southbound, they can be on the ferry before a cruise excursion finishes loading. And they won’t be stuck in traffic!

Do check the MTA info. At least when we last did this, not all cars went to South Ferry, so you had to either be front or back (can’t recall) of the subway. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

There is a new museum on the island, I believe most of the items in the old Pedestal museum have been moved to there.  All have access to the new museum

44 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

There is a new museum on the island, I believe most of the items in the old Pedestal museum have been moved to there.  All have access to the new museum

I didn’t know it opened, I’d still reserve the pedestal, same price, nice to get away from the crowds and great views.

16 hours ago, markeb said:

No way on earth I’m sitting around waiting on a tour operator to load a bus in Manhattan, then sit on it to Battery Park. If the OP is mobile and off the ship to the #1 southbound, they can be on the ferry before a cruise excursion finishes loading. And they won’t be stuck in traffic!

Do check the MTA info. At least when we last did this, not all cars went to South Ferry, so you had to either be front or back (can’t recall) of the subway. 

Totally agree!  Distance is 5+ miles on city streets.  MTA website says you must be in the first 5 cars for South Ferry.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, Turtles06 said:

I think MSC uses the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  Assuming that's the starting point, Google maps says the walk would be about five miles.   Given the OP's limited day in NY and what they'd like to do, I don't think walking to the Statute of Liberty ferry would be the best use of their time.   Subway would be the best bet.   (On a weekend, perhaps even a cab or Uber.)

@IsanTom  I'm not trying to dissuade you from visiting the Statue of Liberty, but in case you aren't aware of this, do know that you will have a great view of the Statue from your ship during your sail-in to Manhattan and your sailaway.   (If for some reason your ship is docking in Brooklyn [Red Hook] and not Manhattan, you'll still get a view of the Statue, but not the same sail-by.)

I agree 5 miles is too far to walk on holiday, so we'll take the subway. Second, can we buy tickets to the statue and Ellis island

ahead of time with a departure time for the ferry? I would hate to wait in line. Our ship arrives on a Thursday at 07:00AM and leaves at 5:30PM. We changed from an Oceanview room to a balcony, so we would be able to cruise by the Statue of Liberty from our cabin. Order room service ahead time. Thanks for your assistance.

12 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

I agree 5 miles is too far to walk on holiday, so we'll take the subway. Second, can we buy tickets to the statue and Ellis island

ahead of time with a departure time for the ferry? I would hate to wait in line. Our ship arrives on a Thursday at 07:00AM and leaves at 5:30PM. We changed from an Oceanview room to a balcony, so we would be able to cruise by the Statue of Liberty from our cabin. Order room service ahead time. Thanks for your assistance.

You have to buy your tickets ahead of time, they are timed tickets. Give yourself an hour to go through security. As stated earlier, for crown tickets you want to book months in advance. When cruising up and down the Hudson, best spot is on a high deck, both sides are spectacular.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

When cruising up and down the Hudson, best spot is on a high deck, both sides are spectacular.

Agreed!  It's great to see the Statute of Liberty, of course, but the sail past Manhattan is totally spectacular.  I think sailing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal has got to be one of the most wonderful sailaways in the world. 

7 hours ago, New Mexico 8 said:

I have a question .... the posts say that there is only one authorized seller of tickets of SOL and Ellis Island. 

What about Experience First.. formerly New York Tours??  They are on Tripadvisor.

Let me see if I can explain.  Statue Cruises is the authorized seller of tickets.  Their boats are the ONLY boats that can take folks to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  There are 3 options to prepurchase from New York - New York Reserve ($19.25), New York Reserve with Pedestal($19.25), and New York Reserve with Crown ($22.25).  These tickets come with audio headsets.  If you know your exact date, the advice is to prepurchase TIMED tickets from Statue cruises as soon as possible, particularly if you want to go to the Pedestal or climb the 162 narrow tight stairs to the crown.  Prepurchasing tickets allows you to bypass any ticket lines and go directly to the security line (be sure to read the security restrictions carefully).  Suggestion is to arrive at the ferry a half hour ahead.

https://www.statuecruises.com/plan-your-trip/

https://www.statuecruises.com/plan-your-trip/security-process/

Experience First tours is offering the SOL trip for $50+.  What you seem to be getting for the extra $30 is the services of a guide plus the convenience of them buying the tickets for you.  Only you can decide if you want to pay extra for a structured group tour or if you want the flexibility of choosing how to allocate your time between the SOL and Ellis Island.