For the wine connoisseurs

Petoonya

From a wine dummy.

I truly know nothing about wine other than I'll drink reds and whites. Embarrassed to say that we usually just go with what is recommended at Trader Joe's- primarily cabernets and chardonnays. And on Oceania drink about 90% white California as we know it best.

Also know I'm better off bringing my own onboard. Except that I'm leaving from Papeete and don't see carrying wine in luggage from Portland Oregon.

To buy in Papeete I'd have to purchase mine at the one wine store a short taxi ride from the port, or at Carrefours market (which I'm told has a nice selection of French wines). But since I know nothing about French wine don't know about this- a shot in the dark.

We do like wine with dinner and on an 18 day cruise that's coming up, we'd probably drink 8-10 bottles. Again embarrassed we to say typically drink low end- $50-60. I've considered the package this time, but as advised here sounds like better to buy our own than choosing what the ship is trying to get rid of. But then maybe we're better off with the wine package since we're cheapskates anyway? Or just buying off the list rather buying an unknown from in Papeete and the $25 corkage. For as little as we know about wine and our tolerance for decent not great wine it sounds like we could go either way. Or go for the unknown- buy in Papeete?

I've left from Papeete about 5 times in the last 8 years and bought from the list onboard. Anyone have any comments, pointers? Please be gentle as I am an admitted  wine dummy.

Thanks very much.

Nancy

Whew....just remembered.

Flatbush Flyer and others have recommended that we ask for "bin end" offerings as soon as we board. Where do we look at what is offered, and are wines as cheap as what we purchase even offered? I don't even know where we might request the wine package if we decide to do that?

Carrefour is a major grocery-store-and-more in Metropolitan France. I have no idea what their offerings would be in the overseas territories. If the shop has, as you say, "a since selection of French wines", you'll be fine.

You can always ask in-store for recommendations, but here is my utterly blind thought:

You drink cabernets and chardonnays, so load up on French versions of those! How can you lose? 

7 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Carrefour is a major grocery-store-and-more in Metropolitan France. I have no idea what their offerings would be in the overseas territories. If the shop has, as you say, "a since selection of French wines", you'll be fine.

You can always ask in-store for recommendations, but here is my utterly blind thought:

You drink cabernets and chardonnays, so load up on French versions of those! How can you lose? 

Thanks Shawn- have spoken with some who have purchased wine at Carrefours, and while the selection is excellent (as good as at local wine store) there isn't someone available to recommend. I've heard some rave about their selections and some very disappointed.

Yeah- I think I can lose, lol! Have bought French, Italian and Spanish wines in Europe not knowing what I was buying, spent more than I was accustomed to and lost. Have been more disappointed with many of those wines than any comparably priced (including markup) $50 wine on O.

Thanks so much friend!

JMO

Why not try some different wines at home  then keep a list of those you like

We tried some on the ship as we  just drink what we like  ..no expert here

it is like food   it is subjective

Some will like certain wines   but you may not  & paying $50 + a bottle  for something you might not like  is wasteful

"Bin ends" are usually the last page in the wine menu  but if you do not know what you like  then why bother

We tried  a Argentinan Malbec  & Chianti  DOCG that the Sommelier suggested  (that is what OBC is for  ..right)

We enjoyed  them

Try some of the by the glass offerings  maybe at HH 

Check Mike's blog  he posted the bar menus

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm#Bar

Quick French wine lesson.

If you like cab, then look for wines from Bordeaux. Those wines will be primarily cab or merlot.

White burgundy is Chardonnay. Of course Montrachet and Mersault are always your best bet, but you’ll have to see if they have any in your price range. Also from the region, at more reasonable prices, is Pouilly Fuisse. These are Chardonnays without oak. Also look for wines listed as Macon Villages. Chardonnay from burgundy . If you like the high acidity steely wine Chablis is delightful. 

Wines from the Rhône will be Grenache and Syrah blends. These include Cotes de Rhône and Chateaunuf de Papes. I really enjoy these wines, but they will need decanting. Break out of your shell and try some whites from these areas such as Condrieu which is a higher quality of viognier than we get in the US.

that should get you going!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If you like cab, then look for wines from Bordeaux. Those wines will be primarily cab or merlot.

White burgundy is Chardonnay. Of course Montrachet and Mersault are always your best bet, but you’ll have to see if they have any in your price range. Also from the region, at more reasonable prices, is Pouilly Fuisse. These are Chardonnays without oak. Also look for wines listed as Macon Villages. Chardonnay from burgundy . If you like the high acidity steely wine Chablis is delightful. 

Wines from the Rhône will be Grenache and Syrah blends. These include Cotes de Rhône and Chateaunuf de Papes. I really enjoy these wines, but they will need decanting. Break out of your shell and try some whites from these areas such as Condrieu which is a higher quality of viognier than we get in the US.

And, if one is a fan of Sauvignon Blanc, look for wines from Sancerre.

As for the Bin End list, ask a wine steward at the Terrace's bar at the port side entrance. They usually have them as stand alone sheets. There can be a few decent choices at 30-40% off the ship's price (which is still more than you'd most likely pay retail onshore even after adding the $25 corkage). 

If you've got an international cellular roaming package or can sign on to the Papeete store's wifi, you can checkout online reviews of unfamiliar stuff you're looking at on the shelves (and find price comparisons as well).

If you're into doing a bit more research pre-cruise, find an email address for the store and write a note to the attention of their wine buyer. If s/he is somewhat knowledgeable about comparable California varietals/wineries, you could ask for them to preselect 6-12 mixed bottles. We do this with some great wine stores we've found in our travels (e.g., Hedonism Wines in London and the Australian Wine Center in Sydney).

One other suggestion: Since not alll shops that sell wine have them, get yourself some collapsible cardboard wine carriers when you go wine tasting at home in the US. They're very lightweight and packable in checked bags. In 2, 3 and 6 bottle sizes, they're much easier to handle if carrying the fine onboard with you.

IMG_9613.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

54 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Why not try some different wines at home  then keep a list of those you like

We tried some on the ship as we  just drink what we like  ..no expert here

it is like food   it is subjective

Thanks very much.....was specifically looking for French wines that I might find shopping in Papeete. I probably didn't make that well understood in my lengthy post. But thank you.

54 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Perfect and so helpful. Exactly what I needed. I'm miles ahead of where I might have been without. Thanks very much- I might just break out of my shell 🙂

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And, if one is a fan of Sauvignon Blanc, look for wines from Sancerre.

As for the Bin End list, ask a wine steward at the Terrace's bar at the port side entrance. They usually have them as stand alone sheets. There can be a few decent choices at 30-40% off the ship's price (which is still more than you'd most likely pay retail onshore even after adding the $25 corkage). 

If you've got an international cellular roaming package or can sign on to the Papeete store's wifi, you can checkout online reviews of unfamiliar stuff you're looking at on the shelves (and find price comparisons as well).

Thanks very much. Really helpful. If left to my own devices I would have thought Sancerre was the name of the winery, lol.

Putting the list from you and Pinot in my wallet now. And thanks for the help on "bin ends". I'm taking the list won't be available till after we sail right? Thanks.

nancy

6 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks very much.....was specifically looking for French wines that I might find shopping in Papeete. I probably didn't make that well understood in my lengthy post. But thank you.

Perfect and so helpful. Exactly what I needed. I'm miles ahead of where I might have been without. Thanks very much- I might just break out of my shell 🙂

Thanks very much. Really helpful. If left to my own devices I would have thought Sancerre was the name of the winery, lol.

Putting the list from you and Pinot in my wallet now. And thanks for the help on "bin ends". I'm taking the list won't be available till after we sail right? Thanks.

nancy

You might  try going to Cellar Tracker   web site.    Here you can check out all the vines of the world, their vintage score, tasting notes and  prices.     Medoc wines are strong cabs that really need a min of 15 years to age   St Ermilion are more Merlot/Franc blends and are  for the 2015-16 excellent   Pomerol is like St ermilion merlots but with a different blends and terror.     There are second labels for many top wineries....  

I will say one thing....in my opinion   the Pomerol and St Ermilion  will top the list of   good stuff...  Canon  and L' Evangile are my faves   The latter is the vineyard smack dab between Petrus and Cherval Blanc... for a fraction of the cost.

Be suprised...open and happy   Whatever you drink is an adventure

After living in Napa Valley for 25 years I came to appreciate that there are really no bad wines.   Trying new ones with no preconceived notion can  be fun...  Bring locked into a " I only drink X"  is  short-sighted.      Wine can be drunk 2 ways...  1. to  impress each other/others    2.   For fun...         

As I remember  O has a very interesting blended wine  Conundrum..   made by Garry Ferrel  of Caymys       A blend of Chard, Sav.Clen.  its rather  fun   it mixed and matches all the high points of 4 or 5  pure varietals......

If you have space and weight capacity in your luggage, you can bring a couple of bottles in your luggage.  Generally, I use something called "wine diapers" to minimize damage from breakage.  More importantly, the bottles should not be easily move about the suitcase.  Logically, they should be stored dead center in your suitcase, protected by your clothes.  Nothing hard adjacent to the bottles.  We generally bring about 2 bottles on our trips - mostly because that's all other countries allow you to bring in.  

In Papeete, if you come across a white wine from Rangiroa, a wine made in French Polynesia, avoid it, it is not very good.  French wines are not inexpensive in Papeete.  After corkage, it may end up costing as much if not more than the cheaper wines on Oceania.  

Edited by deadzone1003
Additional comment

I’m on cellar tracker with a decent collection of wines on my cellar. Been doing blind tasting for years. You would be surprised that higher price is not a guarantee you will like a wine better. You might find that a lot of the less expensive wines won’t be listed on CellarTracker as those are bought and drunk rather then cellared.  download 2 free apps on your phone where you photo the label and it gives you info including scores. Try vivino and delectable. For ease the sommelier on board might be able to suggest some bargains on their list that will appeal to your taste. Enjoy 🍷🍷

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you're into doing a bit more research pre-cruise, find an email address for the store and write a note to the attention of their wine buyer.

That's a great thought. I'll do that!

7 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You might  try going to Cellar Tracker   web site. 

Be suprised...open and happy   Whatever you drink is an adventure

Cellar tracker....might combine this with FF's idea of trying to use the stores wifi. Thanks.

And in being surprised/happy. We've been very happy generally with the cheap stuff chosen on O in the past. Was a little more afraid of going in blind to Carrefours. But you and others have made it seem a lot easier. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

If you have space and weight capacity in your luggage, you can bring a couple of bottles in your luggage.  Generally, I use something called "wine diapers" to minimize damage from breakage.  More importantly, the bottles should not be easily move about the suitcase.  Logically, they should be stored dead center in your suitcase, protected by your clothes.  Nothing hard adjacent to the bottles.  We generally bring about 2 bottles on our trips - mostly because that's all other countries allow you to bring in.  

In Papeete, if you come across a white wine from Rangiroa, a wine made in French Polynesia, avoid it, it is not very good.  French wines are not inexpensive in Papeete.  After corkage, it may end up costing as much if not more than the cheaper wines on Oceania.  

Yes, we planned on bringing a couple bottles in luggage not more

I'll look for the wine from Rangiroa.

I wondered about the cost of wine in Papeete. I may ask about that on the Pacific Islands board too. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

I’m on cellar tracker with a decent collection of wines on my cellar. Been doing blind tasting for years. You would be surprised that higher price is not a guarantee you will like a wine better. You might find that a lot of the less expensive wines won’t be listed on CellarTracker as those are bought and drunk rather then cellared.  download 2 free apps on your phone where you photo the label and it gives you info including scores. Try vivino and delectable. For ease the sommelier on board might be able to suggest some bargains on their list that will appeal to your taste. Enjoy 🍷🍷

Thanks for all the info and will try Vivino and Delectable.

43 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

...And thanks for the help on "bin ends". I'm taking the list won't be available till after we sail right? Thanks.

Yes. List is constantly changing - segment to segment and ship to ship.

And then there's the 7 bottle package at approx $40+ per bottle for usually less than $10 retail wines except that there are occasional

"loss leaders" in the bunch. On longer cruises, if we see wines like Shramsburg Mirabelle (sparkling) or Arboleda Carminere (red), we'll buy multiples of one or both of them as a seven bottle package. But, again, unless you know the good ones, check the reviews online ASAP once onboard. Others who know their wine will also be looking at the "7 bottle" and Bin End lists and scooping them up immediately. 

I've seen the Mirabelle and Arboleda disappear within days after the ship stocked them.

23 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I wondered about the cost of wine in Papeete.

With the exception of fresh baked baguettes (where the price is government regulated at under $1 USD), most grocery/consumable products in Polynesia (and especially alcohol) have outlandish pricing.

On a somewhat related topic: When deciding how much booze to plan for (particularly in terms of purchasing (or upgrading to) the Prestige package, consider what complimentary booze your particular cruise may already be providing as well as whether your itinerary will have your tour choices including wineries/distilleries where you are almost sure to bring something back to the ship.

For example, on a multi-segment cruise, there'll be at least two welcome parties, and two O Club parties (sometimes more if they split them up due to number of members onboard and someone in charge likes you enough to keep inviting you). If you get officer dinner invites and/or do La Reserve (O ships), there's more imbibing. And don't forget wine tasting events and, of course, "happy hour" twofers.

And don't forget the O Club bottle(s) (actually decent) some levels will find in their cabin sitting alongside of whatever your TA may have sent.

Bottom line is that I can't remember the last time we got the Prestige package (particularly since we also often have extra non-refundable SBC to burn off).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes. List is constantly changing - segment to segment and ship to ship.

And then there's the 7 bottle package at approx $40+ per bottle for usually less than $10 retail wines except that there are occasional

"loss leaders" in the bunch. On longer cruises, if we see wines like Shramsburg Mirabelle (sparkling) or Arboleda Carminere (red), we'll buy multiples of one or both of them as a seven bottle package. But, again, unless you know the good ones, check the reviews online ASAP once onboard. Others who know their wine will also be looking at the "7 bottle" and Bin End lists and scooping them up immediately. 

I've seen the Mirabelle and Arboleda disappear within days after the ship stocked them.

Once again thank you! Writing the names down as they will never commit to memory.

Not quite understanding. If I find bin end wines I like can I make my own 7 bottle package? or are are the wines in bin ends what is used for the 7 bottle package?

Thanks for the names of the special ones.

There is another piece to this. On an 18 day cruise, the 10th day will be in Maui. We can easily replenish there at a wine store. Even go to Costco- we do pretty well there. So if I bring 2 bottles I may only need 3-4 more to get us to Maui. I think even at that we can splurge and by what the O wine steward recommends.

And yes- we are used to pricing in grocery stores in FP. Have never looked at wines though ans hoped it could be a little different.

Edited by Petoonya

lol, everything is in the computer! They know what you like and what you like to do before boarding. Our Butler presents us with a list of wine tastings to be held, bin end selections, and the 7 bottle selections immediately upon our entering our cabin upon boarding. If you’re in a PH or above, drop a hint to your Butler and they’ll have the information quickly for you! No need to stand in lines. I’ll pick all my bin ends immediately, get the receipt verifying they are reserved, then call for them at will at the different restaurants during the cruise. Life is Easy!

French wines in Papeete are reasonably priced and the selection of French wines is actually quite good.

2 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I warned you about the white wine from Rangiora.  It is not very good.  It does have a novelty factor to it.  You are better off getting white burgundy or a white rhone at Carrefours.

Thanks!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

...Not quite understanding. If I find bin end wines I like can I make my own 7 bottle package? or are are the wines in bin ends what is used for the 7 bottle package?

No. Two separate lists. 

And the "7 bottle" deal requires buying 7 or 14 or 21, etc at a time while the Bin End has no limits. Note that when we do the Bin End buys, we order/reserve them all "up front" on day one so that they'll be set aside with our cabin number on them for retrieval as needed.

50 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

French wines are not inexpensive in Papeete.  After corkage, it may end up costing as much if not more than the cheaper wines on Oceania.  

Petoonya - I know absolutely nothing about wines but I know that words French and Papeete are both associated with very high prices 😀

IME, nothing is priced “reasonably” in FP.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

lFrench wines in Papeete are reasonably priced and the selection of French wines is actually quite good.

Precious info- thanks!

Unfortunately it'll be a huge surprise if we have a butler- once a few years ago was almost too wonderful. We're in an inside guarantee and hoping for an upsell to maybe a B2 if possible. It's an itinerary that doesn't sell well so you never know. But awfully nice to know that a butler could help us out if it ever happened  Yes, as I say prices are astronomical at the grocery store. Have had two different pinions expressed though in the past....one, French wine prices are reasonable in Papeete, and two, no they are not! 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

The bin ends wines can be purchased as singles or individually in any quantity available at the bin end list price.

The seven (7) bottle package is a different beast. I won’t give you any specific rules other than the package consists of seven bottles of wine. I have seen set package(s), and various  pick and choose package options . There are no set rules, it depends upon how the head sommelier or F&B manager wants to run it typically depending upon the wines available. I have never personally found a good deal with those packages. Years past, they would try to sneak in a very nice ringer to make the package look good. Most recently all those types of wine are now appearing on the bin end lists at higher prices.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No. Two separate lists. 

And the "7 bottle" deal requires buying 7 or 14 or 21, etc at a time while the Bin End has no limits. Note that when we do the Bin End buys, we order/reserve them all "up front" on day one so that they'll be set aside with our cabin number on them for retrieval as needed.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thanks. It's most of what I needed to know about bin end shopping- except for what will be available and what to choose🙂

The more I consider this and because of all the help I've received here, might just go for what we know and forget the French wines in Papeete. Bring a couple bottles in our luggage, shoot for a 4-5 attractive bin ends or buy off the wine list....and then pick up some bottles at Whole Foods or Costco on the way back to the ship in Kahului.

Still worth going to Carrefours and checking things out. Thanks for everything everyone 🙂 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The bin ends wines can be purchased as singles or individually in any quantity available at the bin end list price.

The seven (7) bottle package is a different beast. I won’t give you any specific rules other than the package consists of seven bottles of wine. I have seen set package(s), and various  pick and choose package options . There are no set rules, it depends upon how the head sommelier or F&B manager wants to run it typically depending upon the wines available. I have never personally found a good deal with those packages. Years past, they would try to sneak in a very nice ringer to make the package look good. Most recently all those types of wine are now appearing on the bin end lists at higher prices.

Thanks. Guess we'll forego the wine package and either see what we'd like to experiment with on bin ends, if any available, or just purchase from the wine list.