Regatta: New Look, Tips, Insights??

TLCOhio

Getting close to sailing on the Regatta from Auckland to Papeete on Feb. 17, 2020.  Checked/searched on this Oceania board and I could not find much in the way of comments, reviews, etc., as to this "new" and "re-inspiration" of the Regatta after its late September 2019 "debut". During the past three months, am interested as to how much of these changes are . . . just a fresher, different "look" . . . VERSUS . . .  substantive, major changes that improve the sailing experience?  After our first sailing on the Nautica a little over a year ago, the new glass shower, more electrical/electronics plugs, etc., seem to be good and needed.  

What else to share?  Any special tips or secrets to offer for maximizing our 18-days on this ship?  Any updates as to staffing for CD, GM, etc.?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018 on the Nautica, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East and our first sailing with Oceania. Now at 17,258 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

30 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Getting close to sailing on the Regatta from Auckland to Papeete on Feb. 17, 2020.  Checked/searched on this Oceania board and I could not find much in the way of comments, reviews, etc., as to this "new" and "re-inspiration" of the Regatta after its late September 2019 "debut". During the past three months, am interested as to how much of these changes are . . . just a fresher, different "look" . . . VERSUS . . .  substantive, major changes that improve the sailing experience?  After our first sailing on the Nautica a little over a year ago, the new glass shower, more electrical/electronics plugs, etc., seem to be good and needed.  

What else to share?  Any special tips or secrets to offer for maximizing our 18-days on this ship?  Any updates as to staffing for CD, GM, etc.?

Check your roll call for anyone posting what they've learned about staffing.

As for the NEXT upgrades, the new Samsung TVs and On Demand system as well as the bedside USB chargers, glass shower doors and better storage layouts are all vast improvements.

IMO, Internet continues to disappoint and online cruise review is more trouble than it's worth.

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From late 2018 on the Nautica, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East and our first sailing with Oceania. Now at 17,258 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Relax Terry and be surprised.   Your trying too hard.  Let it happen.   The meals the ship the cabins and the ports.    Let it go....  Everything will be just fine    Discovery is a wonderful thing... control is dissapointing.

• Thanks 1

BTW:

for those who still prefer the old 3 channels of scheduled movies in the cabin (vs On Demand), they're still there. But, the schedule is no longer included in the papers you find in your cabin on embarkation day. You'll need to go to Guest Services and ask for a copy of the print out.

I was on the second cruise after refurbishment (late Sept/early Nov).  It was my first O cruise, but would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have if I can.

Edited by ropomo
  • Thanks 1

Was on Board Dec 6 to 21st.  The colour schemes are pleasing except for the carpets.   Washroom smaller, we are in the 200 to 240 lb range and fit into showers but was tight.  They have added a corner bar about 12 inches from base which helps when bending over to wash feet.  More plugs added.  Lots of storage cupboard space  (was still discovering more on day 3).  Activities were similar, however there was several craft classes making jewelry that everyone was raving about.  Food was great, only ate 2x in GDR, Waves, and each speciality resturant.  All other Meals in Terrace Grill.  Excursions typical of Oceania: expensive and most can be purchased privately at half the cost for identical time and itinerary.  Was on OLife excursions but purchased two privately and Oceania excursion paid passengers were on the exact same one (komoto dragons & great Barrier  reef). Staff are still great and most go out of their way to please.

Edited by GICNJC

6 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Was on Board Dec 6 to 21st.  The colour schemes are pleasing except for the carpets.   Washroom smaller, we are in the 200 to 240 lb range and fit into showers but was tight.  They have added a corner bar about 12 inches from base which helps when bending over to wash feet.  More plugs added.  Lots of storage cupboard space  (was still discovering more on day 3).  Activities were similar, however there was several craft classes making jewelry that everyone was raving about.  Food was great, only ate 2x in GDR, Waves, and each speciality resturant.  All other Meals in Terrace Grill.  Excursions typical of Oceania: expensive and most can be purchased privately at half the cost for identical time and itinerary.  Was on OLife excursions but purchased two privately and Oceania excursion paid passengers were on the exact same one (komoto dragons & great Barrier  reef). Staff are still great and most go out of their way to please.

Appreciate these above great comments and follow-ups from Flatbush Flyer, Hawaiidan, ropomo and  GICNJC. My body type is somewhat in the range of GICNJC and my guess is that the shower will still be tight. BUT, the glass door should help.   For our 18-day cruise we are planning a number of different private excursions.  Agree that the Oceania offerings tend to be pricy.  We will do four of the OLife tours as a part of that package.  

From Hawaiidan, you raise a good question!!  Relax, be surprised and enjoy?  Versus . . . Research and plan ahead?   I am much more in the later category.  Like to plan ahead and try to "maximize the experience!"  Everyone has their different style and approach for travel and adventure.  Keep up the great sharing, insights and feed-back.  VERY HELPFUL!!  And interesting. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 227,493 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

....Agree that the Oceania offerings tend to be pricy.  We will do four of the OLife tours as a part of that package.  

FWIW: For folks who prefer not to plan (or who just don't have the time), the bite of O's excursion pricing can be reduced significantly by opting for the O Life excursions perk and then selecting the most expensive of the allowable tours (... the non-OE/OS ones up to $199, which double the value of the equivalent SBC perk). Doing that then reduces the minimum number of excursion purchases required for the YWYW 25% discount on your cruise (i.e., the minimum number required for YWYW is listed on the first page of THE Excursions PDF you can request from Oceania 6+ months prior to embarkation).

If you're a good shopper (or even just good at math), the right O excursions (particularly those with circumstances requiring smaller groups) can spare you some sticker shock.

For us, and our habit of several longer cruises per year, the combo of ship and private tours always seems to work best.

Research   is fine  but too a point.    Research  to the extreme...trying to gather every bit of information  from carpets  and how many TV channels.... to the name of the Captains  wife's, aunt's cat  name,  is counter productive .  Your have built or are building  a house of cards where if one card gets out of order  it stresses  you out...

Too much information spoils the beauty of surprise...  like opening a Christmas  present before Christmas....  The thrill and the pleasure is gone.    In our information over-load society where we are used to hearing traffic reports in Bangladesh  along with local weather in Nome..  there is a tendency to get sucked into this faux need.    Knowing  every finite detail  is  to cheat your experience from what it might have been...   Hey  if you know in advance  everything about the cruise, ship, staff, ports, what is the sense of even going....  its going to be disappointing and seem routine  in stead of exciting. and new..   Dont cheat your self.  Remember  your days as a child... you did not plan every day..  you let things happen and your discoverys every day were new, fresh, unknown adventure......  A cruise should be that

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Research   is fine  but too a point.    Research  to the extreme...trying to gather every bit of information  from carpets  and how many TV channels.... to the name of the Captains  wife's, aunt's cat  name,  is counter productive .  Your have built or are building  a house of cards where if one card gets out of order  it stresses  you out...

Too much information spoils the beauty of surprise...  like opening a Christmas  present before Christmas....  The thrill and the pleasure is gone.    In our information over-load society where we are used to hearing traffic reports in Bangladesh  along with local weather in Nome..  there is a tendency to get sucked into this faux need.    Knowing  every finite detail  is  to cheat your experience from what it might have been...   Hey  if you know in advance  everything about the cruise, ship, staff, ports, what is the sense of even going....  its going to be disappointing and seem routine  in stead of exciting. and new..   Dont cheat your self.  Remember  your days as a child... you did not plan every day..  you let things happen and your discoverys every day were new, fresh, unknown adventure......  A cruise should be that

I fall somewhere in the middle of this argument. Though I enjoy spontaneity while on a cruise, some items like high demand restaurant or excursion/attraction/entertainment tix will find me online when the availability rolls out. Likewise, pre/post cruise transportation/accommodations get a lot of my attention.

• Like 2

I suggest you include the category of cabin you will have since that is relevant to your question.

We're always in an ocean view or inside so here’s my two cents:

• the bathrooms now have a blue nightlight and an electrical outlet under the cabinet
  • USB ports are now in the cabins
  • the TVs are wall mounted, bigger, have movies on demand, restaurant menus as well as your account information
  • the menus have been reduced in the GDR and there are some items that are always available (shrimp cocktail, lobster bisque, steak, chicken, salmon)
  • there is a dedicated restaurant reservation desk in the deck 5 lobby, open for 8 AM to 5 PM everyday
  • in Horizons steps have been removed and replaced with ramps and the wall behind where the musicians play has been removed
  • the new look is beautiful and fresh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Doing that then reduces the minimum number of excursion purchases required for the YWYW 25% discount on your cruise (i.e., the minimum number required for YWYW is listed on the first page of THE Excursions PDF you can request from Oceania 6+ months prior to embarkation).

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying here, but in our recent experience, excursions selected under the O-life perks do not count toward the minimum for the YWYW discount.  We were denied that at the excursion desk on our recent cruise thinking that was how it works.  If you are referring to somethings else, my apologies and possibly you could clarify the qualification to which you refer.  If that's the case, I would like to know for an upcoming cruise.

31 minutes ago, ropomo said:

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying here, but in our recent experience, excursions selected under the O-life perks do not count toward the minimum for the YWYW discount.  We were denied that at the excursion desk on our recent cruise thinking that was how it works.  If you are referring to somethings else, my apologies and possibly you could clarify the qualification to which you refer.  If that's the case, I would like to know for an upcoming cruise.

If you have selected excursions as your O Life perk, you need to select those tours no later than a few weeks (uncertain about the exact number of days) before embarkation. At the same time, you can/should pre-purchase your "non-O Life" tours (which, when added to your O Life selections, will bring you up to/past the minimum YWYW number requirement) using whatever mix you have of loyalty SBC and a credit card charge for the balance.

We do this on almost every longer cruise - even where we add a mix of our own private excursions.

The O web "cart" is very intuitive. It shows how many total minimal tours you need for the 25% YWYW discount and it DOES count your O Life allowable selections against that total requirement. BTW, it also automatically assigns the most expensive of your awarded "allowable" (under $200, non OE or OS et al) O Life tours a $0 cost.

So, if you pre-buy your tours, you can and will qualify for YWYW.

However, to get YWYW, you must have fulfilled the booking requirements by the pre-cruise deadline date. You CANNOT add more tours once onboard to then retroactively qualify for YWYW.

That said, do know that, if you have the YWYW discount secured before the cruise, any tours that you add once you've boarded will get the 25% discount (shows up on your account near the end of that cruise segment).

And any of your scheduled O Life tours that are cancelled by O will get you a $100/person non-refundable SBC. Further, if tours for which you actually paid are cancelled by O, your account will be credited the amount that you originally paid.

Make sense?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Research   is fine  but too a point.   Research  to the extreme...trying to gather every bit of information  from carpets  and how many TV channels.... to the name of the Captains  wife's, aunt's cat  name,  is counter productive .  Your have built or are building  a house of cards where if one card gets out of order  it stresses  you out... Too much information spoils the beauty of surprise.

Don't worry!!  Not seeking to get too "deep" about the carpets, TV channels, the name of the Captain's wife, etc. Just like to know some of the  "basics" in order to help maximize the "experience" while on the ship for this length of time (18 days).  All of this sharing has been great and very helpful.  Looking forward to lots of great surprises.   KEEP IT COMING!!!

Just made our speciality dinner reservations this morning.  We are in a basic balcony room (B1-Veranda Stateroom, 6027, near front elevators, one level above main floor with entertainment, Grand Dining Room).  This was the first day for making these dining reservations with our room class.  Their Oceania system worked reasonably well.  Some times and days were a little limited, but it worked OK for our needs.  Based on our Nautica sailing in late 2018, the staff on the ship was somewhat flexible to make some added adjustments, etc., after we get on the ship for these two dining places, etc.  

As to our OLife excursion bookings, we did those much earlier, targeting those at a higher cost/value level in ports where our experienced TA suggested having a ship tour would be best.  In a few of these ports, local "conditions" are not as ideal for doing certain activities on your own and/or taking too many chances.  Will have a good mix of ship, private and DIY activities.  Will continue to research and consider options for each of these many, varied ports in the South Pacific.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 250,093 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, ropomo said:

I was on the second cruise after refurbishment (late Sept/early Nov).  It was my first O cruise, but would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have if I can.

Did many diners where a jacket or sport coat during dinners?  Was told to bring one, do not want to.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:34 AM, TLCOhio said:

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 227,493 views.

What does this mean?

• Like 1

Enjoyed Regatta around Australia got off Jan 6th.

CD Corey

GM Claudio

Bathroom  size cannot change but glass doors very good,

Food still fab, a bit less choice not a problem unless perhaps on world cruise.

Staff as good as ever many familiar ones. (we're Platinum members)

Met wonderful people which is how you enjoy your time. Weather hot every day, beats the Vancouver snow.

Off Feb 26 on Riviera to Caribbean.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 12:00 PM, cswhistler said:

Enjoyed Regatta around Australia got off Jan 6th.  CD Corey.   GM Claudio

Bathroom  size cannot change but glass doors very good,  Food still fab, a bit less choice not a problem unless perhaps on world cruise.  Staff as good as ever many familiar ones. (we're Platinum members)  Met wonderful people which is how you enjoy your time. Weather hot every day, beats the Vancouver snow.  Off Feb 26 on Riviera to Caribbean.  Enjoy your trip.

Super appreciate this great follow-up and these comprehensive details from cswhistler on Vancouver Island.  Very helpful and interesting!!  Will be sharing with those our our very active CC Roll Call for our Feb. 17 sailing.  Looking forward to seeing the "new" Regatta and especially that glass shower door.  That's a needed improvement over the Nautica experience from late 2018.  Keep it coming with any and all details/info. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,432

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We disembarked Regatta in Sydney on the same day cswhistler would have embarked for the circumnavigation.

I believe we were the fourth cruise post drydock.  Coincidently, our GM (Thierry Tholon) was still aboard after having helped supervise the two week drydock near Vancouver.  One day he gave a presentation, along with videos, of the very extensive work that occurred.  They had a lot of challenges, most notably the weather.

We thought the ship looked beautiful, although there was evidence of a rushed and incomplete job here and there.  In our PH-C, one of the new bedside USB charging ports didn't work, the ceiling in the bathroom was not fully painted, and a secondary safety latch on the newly installed veranda sliding door was not properly aligned.   The thermostat in the room also appeared new, but it had an annoying, flickering light that projected right onto the bed at night.  Someone had already placed a piece of electrical tape over the bottom of the thermostat to block the light.  

There were a few examples of work not completed in public areas, most notably the elevators.  A white plastic film had been placed over the elevator panel, so that the panel would match the new color decor of the elevator itself.

Despite these "punchlist" items, again, we thought the ship looked beautiful.  It really seemed like a new ship in most respects.  Food was very good, although we would have preferred more variety and less repetition in the GDR menus - but that's a fleetwide situation.  The pasty chef on our particular segment was especially good.  Service was excellent.

14 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

We disembarked Regatta in Sydney on the same day cswhistler would have embarked for the circumnavigation.  I believe we were the fourth cruise post drydock.  Coincidently, our GM (Thierry Tholon) was still aboard after having helped supervise the two week drydock near Vancouver.  One day he gave a presentation, along with videos, of the very extensive work that occurred.  They had a lot of challenges, most notably the weather.  We thought the ship looked beautiful, although there was evidence of a rushed and incomplete job here and there.  In our PH-C, one of the new bedside USB charging ports didn't work, the ceiling in the bathroom was not fully painted, and a secondary safety latch on the newly installed veranda sliding door was not properly aligned.   The thermostat in the room also appeared new, but it had an annoying, flickering light that projected right onto the bed at night.  Someone had already placed a piece of electrical tape over the bottom of the thermostat to block the light.  There were a few examples of work not completed in public areas, most notably the elevators.  A white plastic film had been placed over the elevator panel, so that the panel would match the new color decor of the elevator itself.  Despite these "punchlist" items, again, we thought the ship looked beautiful.  It really seemed like a new ship in most respects.  Food was very good, although we would have preferred more variety and less repetition in the GDR menus - but that's a fleetwide situation.  The pasty chef on our particular segment was especially good.  Service was excellent.

WOW!!  Super excellent details and background about the Regatta and this recent "fix-up"!! Appreciate the sharing/reporting from this experienced Southern California traveler about your recent experiences on the Regatta.  

From our 20-day sailing on the Nautica in late 2018, I would agree the GDR menu can get a little repetitive and needs more variety for longer cruises.  But, you correctly summarize that this is a fleetwide challenge.  Will post and share this info on our Roll Call. 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,564 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Our Regatta trip went from San Francisco to Sydney to Sydney (65 days) and was really great.

Sadly we missed Samoa (measles outbreak) and Exmouth (strong winds) but otherwise no port issues.  The ship looked very smart and the staff were wonderful (as usual).  The Terrace Grill was definitely our preferred dining venue due to the menu variability,  al fresco seating and staff contact.  For larger group and special occasion (Christmas/New Years/theme brunch) dining the GDR was fine.  The lecturers were very good.  Corey was perhaps the best CD we've experienced (six O cruises), with the right combination of enthusiasm, humour and brevity.  The entertainment was a bit repetitive as the four B/B cruises resulted in the talented Regatta singers/dancers doing each of their shows four times.  The Regatta Show Band was top notch and the best we've experienced (Sasha the leader was fabulous).  

The special bonus was sharing memories with new friends met onboard.  We heartily agree with cswhistler (among our new friends) that such people can really enhance your cruising experience.

As for trip planning/organization I think I'm in Hawaiidan's camp.  My wife is more like Flatbush Flyer.  Not a bad combination for a pretty successful travelling team.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brentwood Bay said:

Our Regatta trip went from San Francisco to Sydney to Sydney (65 days) and was really great.  Sadly we missed Samoa (measles outbreak) and Exmouth (strong winds) but otherwise no port issues.  The ship looked very smart and the staff were wonderful (as usual).  The Terrace Grill was definitely our preferred dining venue due to the menu variability,  al fresco seating and staff contact.  For larger group and special occasion (Christmas/New Years/theme brunch) dining the GDR was fine.  The lecturers were very good.  Corey was perhaps the best CD we've experienced (six O cruises), with the right combination of enthusiasm, humour and brevity.  The entertainment was a bit repetitive as the four B/B cruises resulted in the talented Regatta singers/dancers doing each of their shows four times.  The Regatta Show Band was top notch and the best we've experienced (Sasha the leader was fabulous).  The special bonus was sharing memories with new friends met onboard.  We heartily agree with cswhistler (among our new friends) that such people can really enhance your cruising experience.  As for trip planning/organization I think I'm in Hawaiidan's camp.  My wife is more like Flatbush Flyer.  Not a bad combination for a pretty successful travelling team.

Appreciate these additional comments, details and follow-up. Super interesting and helpful.  Yes, a 65-day cruise does create some "duplications" for the music, food variety, etc.   Will share on our Roll Call.  This really helps to . . . BUILD THE EXCITEMENT for this fast-approaching cruise that is now just four weeks away.  But who's counting?  Two and a half weeks till we fly out to LAX and Auckland to a week of North Island exploring before starting our sailing.   Keep it coming!  Loving this background, experiences and insights.  

DINING CREATIVITY??:  Is there any way, with advanced ordering/requesting, to get "special orders" or more creative dinner requests in the Grand Dining Room?  Or, is it only the menu, PERIOD in GDR?  With Silversea, if you let them know a day ahead, they can do such special orders for options such as Beef Wellington, scallops, a Thai family-style experience, etc.  From our one previous Oceania sailing, on a longer sailing, the GDR menu can get a little "old" and/or limited and was just looking for a little more "VARIETY" during our 18-days on the Regatta.  Any other tips, suggestions, ideas?

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 48,420 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

12 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these additional comments, details and follow-up. Super interesting and helpful.  Yes, a 65-day cruise does create some "duplications" for the music, food variety, etc.   Will share on our Roll Call.  This really helps to . . . BUILD THE EXCITEMENT for this fast-approaching cruise that is now just four weeks away.  But who's counting?  Two and a half weeks till we fly out to LAX and Auckland to a week of North Island exploring before starting our sailing.   Keep it coming!  Loving this background, experiences and insights.  

DINING CREATIVITY??:  Is there any way, with advanced ordering/requesting, to get "special orders" or more creative dinner requests in the Grand Dining Room?  Or, is it only the menu, PERIOD in GDR?  With Silversea, if you let them know a day ahead, they can do such special orders for options such as Beef Wellington, scallops, a Thai family-style experience, etc.  From our one previous Oceania sailing, on a longer sailing, the GDR menu can get a little "old" and/or limited and was just looking for a little more "VARIETY" during our 18-days on the Regatta.  Any other tips, suggestions, ideas?

We occasionally ask the F&B mgr. or GM on Sirena for missing Toscana menu items since the regular Tuscan Grill menu is a combo of Toscana and Polo that has been pared down a bit. Ask them (or the exec chef, specialty restaurant chef, mister d') 24-48 hrs prior to dining. GDR requests may be a bit harder to do given the size of service. But, it never hurts to ask.

BTW: any chance that you could not advertise your blog in every single post?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1