Current info on Concierge benefits, please!

Wishing on a star

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I appreciate everyones comments and info!

The comments about maximizing excursions might be of more value than the OBC is very helpful!

We might stick to a lower non-concierge cabin, if early booking of the excursions is not a perk.  Just have to do the best we can on dining.   

So, that brings us to the "O" excursions...  I know there is one exclusive small group excursion that we do want to book.  So I will assume that this is like 199.00 or more, each.  So, that alone would cover the OBC for O-life Choice.

We had planned on going with the OBC, but I will go and look at other available "O" excursions as well.

Most of the "small group" excursions, which do not qualify for O Life are exactly the same as the  ones that do qualify. What you're paying for is the guarantee that the group will be limited to no more than about 10 people (at twice ? the cost). However, there will be some times when the "larger" groups may be limited to smaller transports (e.g., <18 folks), each with their own guide.

So, read descriptions wisely and choose accordingly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

To each their own. I make my own pasta, Asian dumplings, all manner of "ethnic" foods, you name it. My knife skills are above average.  Whatever.

Again, if you're cooking for a party and need quantity quickly, some folks may want to try some of the classes.

For example:

If you don't happen to have a sous vide, what's the easiest way to poach 4-8 eggs at the same time?

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you don't happen to have a sous vide, what's the easiest way to poach 4-8 eggs at the same time?

LOL. I actually have an "immersion circulator." Again, I've read that they're fun but not a lot for some to learn. I'd rather spend the money on something else. Remember that's just me and my opinion.

14 hours ago, clo said:

To each their own. I make my own pasta, Asian dumplings, all manner of "ethnic" foods, you name it. My knife skills are above average.  Whatever.

I'm a trained chef, but realize I don't know everything and there's always more to learn.

I'll be taking one of the classes on my upcoming tour. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Most of the "small group" excursions, which do not qualify for O Life are exactly the same as the  ones that do qualify. What you're paying for is the guarantee that the group will be limited to no more than about 10 people (at twice ? the cost). However, there will be some times when the "larger" groups may be limited to smaller transports (e.g., <18 folks), each with their own guide.

So, read descriptions wisely and choose accordingly.

I thank you so much for that good information!

So, the one excursion I am seeing where we would really want to benefit from a smaller group, would not be available under the O-life Choice.   That is important for a newbie to know.

So, then we couldn't use that to get the better value, over choosing the OBC.

We will take a closer look at the different excursion options to see what might work out!

I do know we want better private excursions both pre-boarding and post-cruise.

Okay, since this is a future sailing, I do not think I am seeing the prices on the excursions.

Is that not available anywhere , until they are open for booking?

27 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I thank you so much for that good information!

So, the one excursion I am seeing where we would really want to benefit from a smaller group, would not be available under the O-life Choice.   That is important for a newbie to know.

So, then we couldn't use that to get the better value, over choosing the OBC.

We will take a closer look at the different excursion options to see what might work out!

I do know we want better private excursions both pre-boarding and post-cruise.

Okay, since this is a future sailing, I do not think I am seeing the prices on the excursions.

Yes. It's frustrating. However, any excursions with OE or OS are not part of the OLife included package. 

34 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If you can find a cruise with the same or similar itinerary within the next 6 to 8 months, you can get an idea of the excursions being offered and the prices.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, schmerl said:

Yes. It's frustrating. However, any excursions with OE or OS are not part of the OLife included package. 

True - but if you can reach the YWC level, even the OE & OC excursions will be 25% off.

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

If you can find a cruise with the same or similar itinerary within the next 6 to 8 months, you can get an idea of the excursions being offered and the prices.

Exactly. I forgot that's what we did. 

6 hours ago, alfagee said:

I'm a trained chef, but realize I don't know everything and there's always more to learn.

We were on a S. American cruise and most of the classes were related to that region. They either already things I cook or am simply not interested in. But I'd always look over the choices.

• Like 1

Laying in bed on the Insignia in cabin 7008 (Concierge).   Like deck 7 as is two flights up or down for most every thing.  Other than that, see no reason for the higher cost.  So much on this ship is first class that what little this level gives us is really minor.  I booked concierge as we have done so on Celebrity and think it is worth the minor cost increase,  here I don't know.

Room is so small its hard to eat here, just as soon go to dining room.

No special lounge for this class ship.

I always do my own thing in port so can't comment  there.

I do know I have booked Penthouse for next trip in the fall.

This has really been a great ship and I highly recommend any class you can afford.

• Like 1

I'm assuing you are on an "R" ship ... we have been PH and above for a very long time but a couple of years ago took a downsell (that paid for our next cruise in a VS) to a B1.  In our early days on Ren and Oceania we'd been in Deck 7 verandas and found them very small.  But when we took this downsell we discovered that the small size no longer bother us ... That much!

That doesn't mean we didn't immediately go back up to a PH on our next booked cruise!

Once you get used to the larger suites it's hard to go back to what you used to do, BUT that doesn't mean that you cannot!

I do agree that ordering breakfast into a Veranda cabin (especially on an "R" ship but I think probably also true on an "O" ship) is not terribly convenient.  When we were in the B1 on Nautica we either had breakfast in Terrace or (on sea days) in the GDR.  For us, one benefit of a PH is that breakfast in the room on a port day is convenient ... Not everyone agrees!

To each his own ...

Mura

4 minutes ago, Mura said:

do agree that ordering breakfast into a Veranda cabin (especially on an "R" ship but I think probably also true on an "O" ship) is not terribly convenient. 

We didn't order food for our cabin but there was a good-sized sofa with a similarly sized 'coffee table' in front. We eat on similar often 🙂

It can depend on how much is on your table!  While we don't normally have an enormous breakfast in our room by the time we have a coffee pot AND tea pot, cups for drinking said liquids, perhaps an omelet for me and oatmeal for DH, then there's probably some toast or a roll of some sort ... well, we found the smaller tables in the veranda staterooms not very comfortable!

Even the PH on the "O" ships (for eating) is not set up all that well (in our opinions) ... at least in this respect we find the PH on an "R" ship more convenient than those on the "O" ships.

Not I!  But I am recalling an afternoon when we got back late and ordered lunch from room service.  I ate my sandwich at the desk and Howard ate his whatever-it-was at the table ... That worked ... sort of ...

4 hours ago, Mura said:

Not I!  But I am recalling an afternoon when we got back late and ordered lunch from room service.  I ate my sandwich at the desk and Howard ate his whatever-it-was at the table ... That worked ... sort of ...

This doesn't give size but the sofa was certainly bigger than a loveseat. Plenty of room for two to eat. At least for us. I remembered that we did have room service dinner our first night. And the table didn't have the raised edge shown and, for the life of me, I can't remember if it was a rectangle or an oval 🙂

Veranda Stateroom

Maybe the difference is that I cannot imagine eating from a sofa or a love seat.  I want a real chair with a table that's big enough to hold the food.  If it's only the two of us, a small table is usually fine.

And maybe I'm spoiled (probably more than "maybe") because in recent years we're pretty much always in a PH or higher.  When we were in the B1 on Nautica I surprised myself at how where the small size had bothered me when we first cruised in the "R" ships -- starting in the late 90s with Renaissance -- they no longer did.

But having breakfast in that room was not something either of us wanted to do.  If it suits others, that's fine!  It just doesn't suit US.

Mura

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:38 AM, alfagee said:

I am CIA trained... and the classes are provided with pre-prep work.  You do little prep...  Time constraints....   they are fun  but dont expect anything substantial. You would be better served to take a CIA class  iin Hyde Park.....  O classes are more social gatherings than real learning  its VERY basic    You may assemble  1 item   not  an array 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mura said:

Maybe the difference is that I cannot imagine eating from a sofa or a love seat.  I want a real chair with a table that's big enough to hold the food.  If it's only the two of us, a small table is usually fine.

And maybe I'm spoiled (probably more than "maybe") because in recent years we're pretty much always in a PH or higher.  When we were in the B1 on Nautica I surprised myself at how where the small size had bothered me when we first cruised in the "R" ships -- starting in the late 90s with Renaissance -- they no longer did.

But having breakfast in that room was not something either of us wanted to do.  If it suits others, that's fine!  It just doesn't suit US.

Mura

Totaly agree....the only cabin  I have seen in which you can eat at a table for 2  is a PH  on the R class.   Ph on a O class at the food of the bed  is awful.....    All  lower cabins  are sad experiences as you related.

17 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I am CIA trained... and the classes are provided with pre-prep work.  You do little prep...  Time constraints....   they are fun  but dont expect anything substantial. You would be better served to take a CIA class  iin Hyde Park.....  O classes are more social gatherings than real learning  its VERY basic    You may assemble  1 item   not  an array 

I've taken many classes at CIA in Hyde Park. And I'm not looking to work on my vacation, so not doing prep is a bonus 🙂

I just figured it would be a fun way to pass some time and many pick up a new recipe or two. I know nothing of English cooking (beyond bangers and mash), so this should be a lark.

18 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Totaly agree....the only cabin  I have seen in which you can eat at a table for 2  is a PH  on the R class.   Ph on a O class at the food of the bed  is awful.....    All  lower cabins  are sad experiences as you related.

How about the balcony table? That is where my wife & I have normally eaten our room service meals on Azamara.

Is the balcony table on the O ships (specifically R Class) too small?

For me, eating a nice breakfast while watching the scenery from our balcony is one of life's great pleasures.

29 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

For me, eating a nice breakfast while watching the scenery from our balcony is one of life's great pleasures.

To eat a true meal outdoors, served properly, the least expensive option would be the extended veranda rooms on the O ships, and since the extended veranda STATEROOMS are below concierge level, they don't include hot breakfast, so you would have to bump up to an extended veranda Penthouse.

The "normal" veranda for a Concierge cabin, on ANY Oceania ship,  is too narrow for anyone to serve while a person or person is sitting out there, and the table is more stool than table and is most often utilized as an unupholstered  hassock.

If you do eat food off of it, be certain that it is wiped down FIRST!

23 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

The "normal" veranda for a Concierge cabin, on ANY Oceania ship,  is too narrow for anyone to serve while a person or person is sitting out there, and the table is more stool than table and is most often utilized as an unupholstered  hassock.

If you do eat food off of it, be certain that it is wiped down FIRST!

Interesting.

People sometimes complain that the table & chairs are too large for the veranda on the Azamara R-Class ships. However, the table was roomy enough for us to enjoy our room service breakfast. 

We usually have the food delivered to the cabin & then bring our own plates out to the veranda.

We have a Concierge veranda on Sirena in April, so we will see if eating room service breakfast is doable on the veranda or not. There are definitely worse problems to have. 

We will figure something out!