Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
balcony bound

Mardi Gras Officially Delayed

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

Assuming that you booked through a TA (not a PVP), your TA may be able to negotiate with Carnival.  Carnival wants to keep their TA's happy so that they don't steer clients to other cruise lines.

No we booked through Carnival and one of their PVP's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irish Nana said:

No we booked through Carnival and one of their PVP's.

 

I wouldn't give up.  Try again with your PVP.  Unfortunately PVP's don't have as much leverage with Carnival, because they book only for Carnival, while a TA can book with any cruise line. 

 

If that doesn't work, I would send a letter directly to Christine Duffy, President of Carnival Cruise Line, explaining that what was offered for all eight of the cancelled cruises doesn't work well for those that originated in Europe.  Ten years ago, Carnival cancelled their entire European season due to the poor economy.  Our TA was able to convince them to reimburse non-refundable airfare for the entire group that she had booked.

 

Carnival has leverage with some airlines.  I believe that between passengers and crew they book about 20,000 flights per month.  If you were booked on one of Carnival's partner airlines, they may be able to negotiate with the airline on your behalf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

I wouldn't give up.  Try again with your PVP.  Unfortunately PVP's don't have as much leverage with Carnival, because they book only for Carnival, while a TA can book with any cruise line. 

 

If that doesn't work, I would send a letter directly to Christine Duffy, President of Carnival Cruise Line, explaining that what was offered for all eight of the cancelled cruises doesn't work well for those that originated in Europe.  Ten years ago, Carnival cancelled their entire European season due to the poor economy.  Our TA was able to convince them to reimburse non-refundable airfare for the entire group that she had booked.

 

Carnival has leverage with some airlines.  I believe that between passengers and crew they book about 20,000 flights per month.  If you were booked on one of Carnival's partner airlines, they may be able to negotiate with the airline on your behalf.

Our PVP was very nice but she cannot do anything.  She switched me over to a supervisor who was useless!  She acted annoyed that I was calling since I had received the email from Carnival and spoke to my PVP.  I will follow up but I don't hold much hope that anything will change. Carnival did say they would be reaching out to the airlines but if they did it didn't help.  I would think with all the money Carnival is losing over this that they are going after the ship builder to try and recoup some the money.  They should then make sure no customer is out any money.   We have only cruised on Carnival for the last 22 years but if I don't get my money back I will be done with them for sure.

 

Speaking of cruising with another cruise line - any suggestions?

Edited by Irish Nana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 1:07 PM, djb78 said:

Wow, this is pretty disappointing. My family was booked on the 15 day NYC to Port Canaveral run and really looking forward to finally getting to the Southern islands. 

 

The itinerary was awesome, some of our favorite ports and a few new ones. 

 

I have 3 ticket booked via Aeroplan in business class (with lie-flat beds) from Vancouver to New York, then after the cruise from Orlando to Toronto in economy and then Toronto to Vancouver in lie-flat beds again. We had extra days booked on either end to explore NYC and take my kids to Disney. My youngest will be just short of 2 years old so he would have still been a lap infant. 

 

We are also going to be at 60 nights getting on, so my wife and I would have turned Platinum and my boys would have turned Gold. 

 

We were considering it a 10 year anniversary trip. (It was slightly early, because if we waited till our actual anniversary, then we would have had to get a 4th ticket for my youngest since he would have turned 2.)

 

Hopefully the cover the ticket cancellation costs. 

 

Maybe the next Mardi-Gras class ship will have a similar itinerary in a few years. 

I was just wondering if you had non-refundable airline tickets if they reimbursed you for the cost?  We did and are not getting reimbursement from Carnival, unless we book another flight.  The only reason I had flights to Europe was to go on the cruise.  They are saying they will "consider" up to $450.00 per ticket IF we rebook another flight.  If not we are out that money.  And no one at Carnival seems to care.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, bakersdozen12 said:


Actually, you need to seek reimbursement through your travel insurance. Carnival is not responsible for your flights. Just the cruise you booked with them. 

But if the airline will not reimburse you then Carnival should be responsible.  Why should customers be out any money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Can you just imagine what it cost carnival for the delay. Wonder if the builder had insurance for any delays. It was sold out. So you are talking somewhere around 6000 guests to take care of in a short amount of time. yes we were very disappointed but they did us just fine to make up to it. I lost $150.00 in perks for that cruise.

 

Multiply that 6000 by the 8 cruises that were cancelled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past year, I have been slightly unlucky and had the cruise lines cancel 3 cruises on me. The first was Ponant, and the second and third were Costa. All three cancellations were down to delivery issues on new ships and itinerary cancellation caused partially by shipyards. In Ponant’s case the ship is early and they changed all the itineraries and cancelled our original one. In Costa’s case one was a change of plan with a ship being built at Fincantieri Italy, and the other was cancellation of Costa Smerelda due to late delivery. 

 

In every case the cruise line refunded the original payments, offered a future cruise discount and in addition reimbursed all out of pocket expenses including non-refundable air fare. All we had to do was provide receipts which showed the cancellation cost - easily obtainable from the airline.  In addition Costa also credited the loyalty club points that we would have earned, and offered an additional onboard credit for sailings taken within a set period. 

 

I dont know what Carnival is doing for Mardi Gras passengers but whenever a cruise line cancels a cruise I am planning, as a matter of principle I would expect them to ensure I was not out of pocket as a result. In a worst case scenario, travel insurance should cover this I presume, but the onus is surely on the cruise line. In each of the cases I mention above, I had booked the cruise direct with the line but flights and other expenses were booked by me with the relevant airline - and not as part of a package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

 

Multiply that 6000 by the 8 cruises that were cancelled.  

I understand what you are saying but I don't care what it is costing Carnival.  The cancellation wasn't their fault and it certainly wasn't mine.  All I want is my $1,409.65 to be reimbursed to me.  It is the right thing for Carnival to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mattsudds said:

In the past year, I have been slightly unlucky and had the cruise lines cancel 3 cruises on me. The first was Ponant, and the second and third were Costa. All three cancellations were down to delivery issues on new ships and itinerary cancellation caused partially by shipyards. In Ponant’s case the ship is early and they changed all the itineraries and cancelled our original one. In Costa’s case one was a change of plan with a ship being built at Fincantieri Italy, and the other was cancellation of Costa Smerelda due to late delivery. 

 

In every case the cruise line refunded the original payments, offered a future cruise discount and in addition reimbursed all out of pocket expenses including non-refundable air fare. All we had to do was provide receipts which showed the cancellation cost - easily obtainable from the airline.  In addition Costa also credited the loyalty club points that we would have earned, and offered an additional onboard credit for sailings taken within a set period. 

 

I dont know what Carnival is doing for Mardi Gras passengers but whenever a cruise line cancels a cruise I am planning, as a matter of principle I would expect them to ensure I was not out of pocket as a result. In a worst case scenario, travel insurance should cover this I presume, but the onus is surely on the cruise line. In each of the cases I mention above, I had booked the cruise direct with the line but flights and other expenses were booked by me with the relevant airline - and not as part of a package. 

In reference to your last paragraph, you would think that is the case.  They are only offering "up to $450.00 per person" if we rebook another flight to Europe which is to cover the airline change fees.  I have no intention of booking another flight to Europe so why should I be out any money.  I am beside myself with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Irish Nana said:

In reference to your last paragraph, you would think that is the case.  They are only offering "up to $450.00 per person" if we rebook another flight to Europe which is to cover the airline change fees.  I have no intention of booking another flight to Europe so why should I be out any money.  I am beside myself with this.

Why do you have to rebook to Europe? Once you pay your change fee you can use the credit amount to fly anywhere you want. I’m not defending Carnival but if you have a non refundable airline ticket Carnival can’t just make it refundable. That’s up to the airlines. They may be able to work a deal with them but that’s up to the airline. If the airline holds you to the un refundable ticket and Carnival reimburses you the whole cost of the ticket you end up ahead financially because you still have airline credit to use after paying the change fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish Nana said:

In reference to your last paragraph, you would think that is the case.  They are only offering "up to $450.00 per person" if we rebook another flight to Europe which is to cover the airline change fees.  I have no intention of booking another flight to Europe so why should I be out any money.  I am beside myself with this.

 

So they are offering you the chance to rebook your same flight for no additional cost to you, and since you decided you don't want that anymore, you believe the whole flight should be refunded to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another good reason to have a TA with access to CCL people that clients don't have  , and not "own your booking"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ☺️

 

Just a little something to keep an eye on.. Because of page two of my Mardi Gras cancellation letter (below) my wife & I are not rebooking another voyage right away. We are patiently waiting to see what series of 'special sailings' that will 'open up' in the next upcoming weeks, in regards to 'Carnivals 50 Years Of Fun'. 

Pics-Art-01-04-10-59-16.png

 

🌴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Irish Nana said:

We also were on the inaugural cruise of the Mardi Gras on Aug. 31, 2020. We were told by our Carnival travel agent that we would be refunded all our money for non-refundable flights and hotels.  Well I just found out today that isn't the case!!  Our airfare cost $1,124.00 and they will only reimburse us the change flight fee of up to $450.00 a person.  I'm not going to rebook a flight to Europe the only reason I was flying o Europe is because of the cruise.  So at this point it doesn't look like we will get anything except 1 night in a hotel in Copenhagen.  I am so upset with Carnival!!

I am sure you realize it is not Carnivals doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Irish Nana said:

But if the airline will not reimburse you then Carnival should be responsible.  Why should customers be out any money?

Why should Carnival pay for your mistake on not covering your behind. What if for some reason you could not go. What then? Carnival did not cause this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Another good reason to have a TA with access to CCL people that clients don't have  , and not "own your booking"

Agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Irish Nana said:

I was just wondering if you had non-refundable airline tickets if they reimbursed you for the cost?  We did and are not getting reimbursement from Carnival, unless we book another flight.  The only reason I had flights to Europe was to go on the cruise.  They are saying they will "consider" up to $450.00 per ticket IF we rebook another flight.  If not we are out that money.  And no one at Carnival seems to care.   

My tickets had a cancellation fee of $75CAD each. I had 3 one-way tickets there and 3 home, so a total of 6 tickets. I cancelled the tickets and sent the cancellation receipts to Carnvial. They responded that they couldn't see the original itineraries so I'd have to resubmit. I resubmitted on Monday with the documentation that showed the original bookings. Given that he last turnaround was about a week, I should see something on Monday or Tuesday.

 

You might want to change your tickets to somewhere you do want to travel to, even non-refundable tickets can often be changed for a fee. Any unused value in cost difference, you might be able to retain for another flight.

 

If you flat-out can't change them and won't use them, then you can cross your fingers that your airline changes it's schedule. United, for example, will give you a full refund, even on non-refundable tickets, if the departure or arrival changes more than 2 hours, and you don't want an alternative flight. Even for changes of 30 minutes to two hours, they will consider a refund if you can convince them that the new times don't work for some reason. I've used this to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket then rebook at a lower rate. With nearly a year before your flights, there's ample time for a beneficial schedule change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, djb78 said:

My tickets had a cancellation fee of $75CAD each. I had 3 one-way tickets there and 3 home, so a total of 6 tickets. I cancelled the tickets and sent the cancellation receipts to Carnvial. They responded that they couldn't see the original itineraries so I'd have to resubmit. I resubmitted on Monday with the documentation that showed the original bookings. Given that he last turnaround was about a week, I should see something on Monday or Tuesday.

 

You might want to change your tickets to somewhere you do want to travel to, even non-refundable tickets can often be changed for a fee. Any unused value in cost difference, you might be able to retain for another flight.

 

If you flat-out can't change them and won't use them, then you can cross your fingers that your airline changes it's schedule. United, for example, will give you a full refund, even on non-refundable tickets, if the departure or arrival changes more than 2 hours, and you don't want an alternative flight. Even for changes of 30 minutes to two hours, they will consider a refund if you can convince them that the new times don't work for some reason. I've used this to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket then rebook at a lower rate. With nearly a year before your flights, there's ample time for a beneficial schedule change.

 

Where do you send the information to?  I called Carnival and they said to email to "airreimbursment@carnival.com". Got it back as undeliverable.  Not sure if I misspelled or missed something.  Any help would be appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, harleydudesat said:

 

Where do you send the information to?  I called Carnival and they said to email to "airreimbursment@carnival.com". Got it back as undeliverable.  Not sure if I misspelled or missed something.  Any help would be appreciated

 

Looks like you're missing the s at the end. 

 

airreimbursements@carnival.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

 

So they are offering you the chance to rebook your same flight for no additional cost to you, and since you decided you don't want that anymore, you believe the whole flight should be refunded to you?

We cancelled the original flight.  And to answer you question, yes I do believe the flight should be refunded to me.  I only booked a flight to Europe to go on this particular cruise.  I certainly don't want to fly to Copenhagen and roam around for days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 5:53 AM, Irish Nana said:

But if the airline will not reimburse you then Carnival should be responsible.  Why should customers be out any money?


Carnival is only responsible for the cruise you paid for. Not flights, transportation, non-Carnival excursions, hotels, etc. That’s not their responsibility because they are not selling you those services. YOU decide to go out and purchase them, separately from the cruise. That’s why travel insurance is sold in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard about the Mardi Gras, being delayed longer? I see that you cannot create a new booking before 3/27/2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jenale80 said:

Has anyone heard about the Mardi Gras, being delayed longer? I see that you cannot create a new booking before 3/27/2021.

 

Someone posted earlier this week that they called Carnival and found out that the reason behind it is that the ship is already booked to full capacity for those dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

 

Someone posted earlier this week that they called Carnival and found out that the reason behind it is that the ship is already booked to full capacity for those dates.

I hope that is the reason but  I am not convinced there won't be further delays.😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...