Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
balcony bound

Mardi Gras Officially Delayed

Recommended Posts

Just now, crzndeb said:

I think there are a lot of people that would disagree with on the Legend sailing from NYC to Dover on June 3, 2020.

 

Have fun on whatever cruise line you cruise next. I think variety is the spice of life. I know a lot of people are disappointed right now. For many, it’s the first time they have had a cruise cancelled, but it happens on all cruise lines. I had one cancelled from earlier this year on another line.

 

Happy Cruising!

 

Go Seahawks!


You ruined a good post with your last comment. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

This was at the end of the letter, I wonder what the special cruises will be.

1CBD0ACD-C93D-49A7-A602-CEBCD63AC82F.jpeg

Wow, you got a letter!  All I got was an e-mail this afternoon.  However, I already re-booked as mine was an Elite sailing and they offered four replacement cruises (plus more fun play and more OBC).  I jumped on the 12 night Med cruise on the Legend.  So while disappointed, my former nine night cruise is now three nights longer.  Lemonade.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

British Airways was a bit more problematic, we have charges that we now must seek to have re-imbursed by Carnival.


Actually, you need to seek reimbursement through your travel insurance. Carnival is not responsible for your flights. Just the cruise you booked with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Us too Jimbo. Now to look at alternative plans for this October. ☹

Waiting to see if they have to push the delivery date out further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, meggymay said:

We were booked for Nov. 7. Dang, so close.

Same here.  Thought I had given myself enough room for delays.  Oh well, thankful to have a lot of time to figure something out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, VaTech8912 said:

Same here.  Thought I had given myself enough room for delays.  Oh well, thankful to have a lot of time to figure something out.

 

 

Right!? I even thought while booking "Glad my B-day is in Nov. so there will be time to workout any kinks."

 

I'm still fairly new to cruising, so I guess i'm still learning. lol

 

Are you going to try and book another Mardi Gras cruise, or something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a letter from carnival about the cancelled sailing for October 24th.. just booked a November 28th sailing with 25% off! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lesson learned. A lot of these new kids who have just been cruising for the last 10 years or so will learn. Don’t try to be the new kid on the block. You will be embarrassed. Lol. Slow and steady wins the race. These ships will be around for awhile. Let them work out the kinks. Then you can be like us veterans and sail them for years. Merry Christmas!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was booked on the inaugural cruise.  The Itinerary was unique and exactly what I looking for.   So of course I'm disappointed its been cancelled. 

The real issue for me is, I now have Airline Tickets that are booked and paid for.  British Airways basically only wants to only refund me 15% of what I paid for them. 

So although I understand this is out of Carnivals hands, I'm left with Airline Tickets and no cruise.  This effects more than a cancelled cruise.  I'm actually now losing money !!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, earlethepearl said:

Lesson learned. A lot of these new kids who have just been cruising for the last 10 years or so will learn. Don’t try to be the new kid on the block. You will be embarrassed. Lol. Slow and steady wins the race. These ships will be around for awhile. Let them work out the kinks. Then you can be like us veterans and sail them for years. Merry Christmas!!  

 

I don't think anyone is embarrassed (???), just disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am booked on the dec 12th cruise. Hopefully it doesn’t get delayed again. I feel terrible for all affected. I originally booked the Nov 7th cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:


Actually, you need to seek reimbursement through your travel insurance. Carnival is not responsible for your flights. Just the cruise you booked with them. 


There’s a whole section on the correspondence Carnival sent us about getting receipts for non-refundable air fares, or hotels, and sending them to Carnival. Nothing about contact your insurers, not them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, earlethepearl said:

Lesson learned. A lot of these new kids who have just been cruising for the last 10 years or so will learn. Don’t try to be the new kid on the block. You will be embarrassed. Lol. Slow and steady wins the race. These ships will be around for awhile. Let them work out the kinks. Then you can be like us veterans and sail them for years. Merry Christmas!!  


For some of us, it’s not about trying to be the new kid on the block. It’s about being Carnival customers who live in Europe, Carnival build their ships in Europe, and this is a one-off opportunity for us to cross the Atlantic in their latest ships.

 

Why would any of us feel embarrassed about being let down by a combination of Carnival & Turku Meyer? Any embarrassment should be felt by the executives of both companies who are letting down tens of thousands of their customers.

Edited by pozbaird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:


Actually, you need to seek reimbursement through your travel insurance. Carnival is not responsible for your flights. Just the cruise you booked with them. 

I think you are incorrect about the flights....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pozbaird said:


For some of us, it’s not about trying to be the new kid on the block. It’s about being Carnival customers who live in Europe, Carnival build their ships in Europe, and this is a one-off opportunity for us to cross the Atlantic in their latest ships.

 

Why would any of us feel embarrassed about being let down by a combination of Carnival & Turku Meyer? Any embarrassment should be felt by the executives of both companies who are letting down tens of thousands of their customers.

Well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was booked on the inaugural cruise out of Copenhagen and the TA b2b. It would have been my first to those European ports and my first b2b. To say I am disappointed is a huge understatement ! I am scrambling now to find something else. I really wanted to be sailing in August, but would never do the Caribbean that time of year. Oh, well, there must be something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think you are incorrect about the flights....


On my correspondence from Carnival, they even give you an e-mail address at Carnival ‘airreimbursements......’ to which you send your receipts for non-refundable air travel, and hotel costs.

 

In our case, our hotel booking was cancelled with no charge, but while our main airfare has been refunded, by cancelling British Airways flights we have incurred a non-refundable cost of £35pp. We therefore have a British Airways receipt for £105, which has to be sent to Carnival, not our travel insurance company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

The embarrassment should come from the manner in which the complaining takes place.  It's very, very cringey in many cases. I am embarrassed FOR some of the people who are upset because they learned their complain strategy from toddlers.


My wife and I have taken many Carnival cruises as a couple. I posted that on the cancelled transatlantic cruise, there were three of us booked. The third person is my wife’s sister. She has never been on a big cruise ship, never been on this sort of holiday. Currently, her long term partner was admitted to a cancer hospice near Glasgow, where he has been given two weeks to live. She had been caring for him, and dealing with his initial cancer diagnosis for years.

 

We booked this trip to give her something to look forward to, to have there to think about, rather than just thinking about her dreadful situation. She was looking forward to it immensely.

 

Last night, we had to contact her to give her the news. A week before Christmas. She was nearly in tears.

 

Complain to Carnival? Damn right I have. Politely, and I know it won’t get the ship built, but I have done it, and have taken a calm decision to take our future cruise business to someone not operating under the Carnival umbrella.

 

I appreciate some people might not agree with my stance, attitude, actions. That’s entirely their call, I respect their view. I just hope people respect mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to price check my nov 14 sailing after all this and it isn't available anymore. Did it sell out that quick after the announcement or I wonder if they aren't selling any right now just incase they move back another week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellow travellers I need your help.

I started a new post on the Carnival board titled Open Letter to CCL.

lmk your thoughts and please respond in the positive if you feel the same way.

There are close to 40000 of us affected by the 8 cancelled sailings which is a pretty powerful voice/lobby.

sincerely,Amit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested to know why Carnival switched from Fincantieri to Turku Meyer. I'll bet there are some uneasy execs over that. 🙂 I remember when the Carnival exec announced the completion of the PANORAMA at the Fincantieri facilities and mentioned the new build, MARDI GRAS going to another firm, she had to laughingly apologize to the Fancantieri people present at the time.

 

Want to get a job done . . . . give it to a busy person.

Edited by glrounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pozbaird said:


My wife and I have taken many Carnival cruises as a couple. I posted that on the cancelled transatlantic cruise, there were three of us booked. The third person is my wife’s sister. She has never been on a big cruise ship, never been on this sort of holiday. Currently, her long term partner was admitted to a cancer hospice near Glasgow, where he has been given two weeks to live. She had been caring for him, and dealing with his initial cancer diagnosis for years.

 

We booked this trip to give her something to look forward to, to have there to think about, rather than just thinking about her dreadful situation. She was looking forward to it immensely.

 

Last night, we had to contact her to give her the news. A week before Christmas. She was nearly in tears.

 

Complain to Carnival? Damn right I have. Politely, and I know it won’t get the ship built, but I have done it, and have taken a calm decision to take our future cruise business to someone not operating under the Carnival umbrella.

 

I appreciate some people might not agree with my stance, attitude, actions. That’s entirely their call, I respect their view. I just hope people respect mine.

Get it, everybody makes choices.  Happy cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow boardmates ☺️

 

My wife & I were booked on Mardi Gras 4th sailing; the 15-night Journey's Repositioning voyage. We are deeply saddened & disheartened by the delay from the Meyer Turku Shipyard. 

 

We have been sailing since the 80's, however, since Mardi Gras is a 'new build', and the 'Costa Smeralda' was delayed twice by the Meyer Turku Shipyard, we made sure that we were prepared mentally & financially for this delay. 

 

I knew the odds were high for a delay, but I did have hope for the Meyer Turku Shipyard to have taken the issues experienced from the Costa Smeralda delays and apply it towards Mardi Gras. Actually, maybe Meyer Turku did just that. Which in turn prompted the Mardi Gras delay. 

 

My soul is full of longing; for the secret of the sea; and the heart of the great ocean sends a thrilling pulse through me.

― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

 

I am however hesitant to book Mardi Gras for any dates in November. The chance for a 2nd delay certainly exists. 

 

We are adapting & moving forward concerning this situation. I won't permit any stress to consume, stress makes EVERYTHING worse. Instead we are eager, enthusiastic & optimistic to see & plan where our next voyage will take us. 

 

Happy sailing everyone!

 

 

☺️

 

 

 

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just reading the fine print of the email and it indicates “the FCC is based upon the cruise  fare paid for this voyage”.

 

I understand our deposit will be refunded, but does this mean we would just get 25% of our deposit amount paid as a FCC or would the FCC still be based on the full cruise fare w/o fees/taxes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...