D+ wifi credit still a thing?

9 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Same credit no matter the length of cruise, either around $46 off a package or two continuous 24-hour periods of unlimited internet.

when you use this does your phone service carrier still charge roaming charges, etc?

9 minutes ago, Robinhill said:

when you use this does your phone service carrier still charge roaming charges, etc?

If you put the phone in Airplane Mode and then turn back on WiFi, your phone will be using WiFi calling and your cell carrier will charge you as if you are using the phone from your home area.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

If you put the phone in Airplane Mode and then turn back on WiFi, your phone will be using WiFi calling and your cell carrier will charge you as if you are using the phone from your home area.

Interesting!  Have never tried that before.  Do they charge you WIFI rates?  

14 hours ago, steveru621 said:

And if you are both D+ you get 4 days.

Indeed, its a nice way to spread out the days on a 7 night.  🙂  And sometimes there is a really cheap option for "rest of your voyage" for very little cost.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed, its a nice way to spread out the days on a 7 night.  🙂  And sometimes there is a really cheap option for "rest of your voyage" for very little cost.  

Still based on the daily rate in the overall package. 

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Interesting!  Have never tried that before.  Do they charge you WIFI rates?  

Whoever is providing the internet service would be charging you, but not the cell carrier.

However, if your phone is on WiFI calling and you make a call that would normally cost extra from home (like calling Europe), then the carrier will charge extra.  So you could be in Europe on WiFi calling (not cellular) and make a local call and be charged extra.

7 hours ago, Robinhill said:

You only get charged for roaming if you roam on another carrier. On board that means Cellular at Sea. WiFi is not roaming.

57 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Whoever is providing the internet service would be charging you, but not the cell carrier.

However, if your phone is on WiFI calling and you make a call that would normally cost extra from home (like calling Europe), then the carrier will charge extra.  So you could be in Europe on WiFi calling (not cellular) and make a local call and be charged extra.

Thanks Bob...guess I never really thought about it...but do intend to check it out.  Have a few longer cruises coming up, and sometimes just email doesn't get it done. 

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks Bob...guess I never really thought about it...but do intend to check it out.  Have a few longer cruises coming up, and sometimes just email doesn't get it done. 

If you haven't done it already, set up your WiFi calling at home first.  There's an initial setup that has to be done while connected to cellular.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If you haven't done it already, set up your WiFi calling at home first.  There's an initial setup that has to be done while connected to cellular.

Yet another good recommendation...thanks again Bob!  🙂  Have not had use for WIFI calling to this point...but need to check into it. 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Yet another good recommendation...thanks again Bob!  🙂  Have not had use for WIFI calling to this point...but need to check into it. 

You might be surprised how useful it is at home.   I have one client where cell coverage is very bad and my phone used to consume about 50% of the battery the day I went to that client.  Using Airplane Mode and WiFi calling, the phone barely uses 10% power there now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Same credit no matter the length of cruise, either around $46 off a package or two continuous 24-hour periods of unlimited internet.

Just be sure to purchase the package on the ship in order to get the Diamond + credit.

When you sign as D+ be sure you sign in as 2 days under each folio number.  We had an internet charge last cruise. We forgot to do that and had to go get it straightened out with the voom folks which took waiting in 2 lines, first at guest services and second with voom.

You can always do free wifi calling through WhatsApp if all parties involved have the app.  We do it all the time from the ships with family in Namibia.  You can do free video calling too. We only had voom surf (not stream) and I was able to take my brother on a virtual ship tour using the surf wifi on Harmony through the WhatsApp app.

10 hours ago, Robinhill said:

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

You're very lucky if you are able to make calls within your plan allowance whilst onboard.

Presumably wifi calling bypasses the ships cell tower and uses the internet to connect to your home carrier.

Unfortunately with UK cell networks, wifi calling doesn't work when outside of the UK.

Fortunately, I get free roaming in the USA and 70 other countries within my plan allowances, but not whilst connected to cellular at sea.

37 minutes ago, APDMOM said:

You can always do free wifi calling through WhatsApp if all parties involved have the app.

That's the way we would have to do it on the ship.

Edited by icsys
typos

3 hours ago, icsys said:

You're very lucky if you are able to make calls within your plan allowance whilst onboard.

Presumably wifi calling bypasses the ships cell tower and uses the internet to connect to your home carrier. ...

Which is why I specified putting the phone in Airplane Mode so as to eliminate the possiblilty of connecting to the ship's cell tower.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

so to be clear- to be able to use facetime i need to turn airplane mode on, turn on wifi then use wifi calling to be able to do this or is wifi calling step not necessary?

4 minutes ago, Robinhill said:

so to be clear- to be able to use facetime i need to turn airplane mode on, turn on wifi then use wifi calling to be able to do this or is wifi calling step not necessary?

WiFI calling is not necessary for Facetime.

I'd still turn Airplane Mode on and turn on WiFi, just to be sure than your phone does not connect to the ship's cell tower.  However, Facetime is just an app that uses internet connectivity and does not need phone service.  You can use Facetime on an iPad with no cell capability.