Where will you cruise in 2020?

BBMacLaird

2020 is going to be a quieter time for us as we wrap up our careers and head into retirement, then look out! The only place we haven't been on Bonnie's list is Ireland. Just having come back from the Quest's Mumbai to Cape Town with independent time following in a very beautiful Victoria Falls there's no doubt we'll be returning to South Africa at some time. If you haven't done it it's simply a MUST! Also stand outs of that trip were were Seychelles and Zanzibar, Tanzania.   We're envious of those returning to Europe on the Cape Town to Lisbon via Madagascar (we tried to get on it but alas sold out).  Later this year we have a Uniworld Duro River Cruise from Porto, followed by Southampton to Barcelona on the Quest.  The attraction of this Azamara cruise was to try to sail up the river to Seville which was attempted but not achieved before.  In 2021 I'm sure there'll be more Azamara but at the moment we're intent on crossing off some more bucket list items.  We're doing the Galapagos in March, currently booked on the Flora but who knows, we do like some of the smaller options.   This is to be followed by a Oceania Marina (first time) Rio to Miami (sailing up the Amazon) which Azamara currently doesn't have an itinerary for.  A long way off is the Grand Voyage January 2022 on the Quest Miami to Miami, via Antarctica....now that's what's got me really excited...

Australia really needs tourism at the moment following our severe bush-fires so we have lots of short land tours planned here at home, they need our dollars...why not spend some of yours here too?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

Australia really needs tourism at the moment following our severe bush-fires so we have lots of short land tours planned here at home, they need our dollars...why not spend some of yours here too?

Sounds like you have lots of interesting travel plans, including our Grand Cruise in 2022!

I second your suggestion for readers to visit Australia.

If anyone is interested in doing so on a cruise, we have 12 future voyages to Australia to choose from! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

2020 is going to be a quieter time for us as we wrap up our careers and head into retirement, then look out! The only place we haven't been on Bonnie's list is Ireland. Just having come back from the Quest's Mumbai to Cape Town with independent time following in a very beautiful Victoria Falls there's no doubt we'll be returning to South Africa at some time. If you haven't done it it's simply a MUST! Also stand outs of that trip were were Seychelles and Zanzibar, Tanzania.   We're envious of those returning to Europe on the Cape Town to Lisbon via Madagascar (we tried to get on it but alas sold out).  Later this year we have a Uniworld Duro River Cruise from Porto, followed by Southampton to Barcelona on the Quest.  The attraction of this Azamara cruise was to try to sail up the river to Seville which was attempted but not achieved before.  In 2021 I'm sure there'll be more Azamara but at the moment we're intent on crossing off some more bucket list items.  We're doing the Galapagos in March, currently booked on the Flora but who knows, we do like some of the smaller options.   This is to be followed by a Oceania Marina (first time) Rio to Miami (sailing up the Amazon) which Azamara currently doesn't have an itinerary for.  A long way off is the Grand Voyage January 2022 on the Quest Miami to Miami, via Antarctica....now that's what's got me really excited...

We were on the Journey two years ago from Bali to Sydney visiting Perth, Kangaroo Island, Melbourne and Adelaide among others. We felt in love with your wildlife and vegetation, so different of Eastern Canada and were so sad to see those terrible fires. We hope to return to visit the East part of Australia, you have such a wonderful country!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sovilav01 said:

We were on the Journey two years ago from Bali to Sydney visiting Perth, Kangaroo Island, Melbourne and Adelaide among others. We felt in love with your wildlife and vegetation, so different of Eastern Canada and were so sad to see those terrible fires. We hope to return to visit the East part of Australia, you have such a wonderful country!

Thank you sovilav01 and Bonnie,! The beautiful Kangaroo Island suffered greatly.  On the eastern seaboard we are having heavy rain at the moment and are starting to see the land rejuvenate though it will take years to mend our hearts, properties and wildlife.  The east has a bit of everything, you name it, we've got it.... Should you make the trip, you'll be welcomed with open arms.  Don't forget Tasmania, especially the interior and the wilderness. Quite unique and so easy to do. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

Thank you sovilav01 and Bonnie,! The beautiful Kangaroo Island suffered greatly.  On the eastern seaboard we are having heavy rain at the moment and are starting to see the land rejuvenate though it will take years to mend our hearts, properties and wildlife.  The east has a bit of everything, you name it, we've got it.... Should you make the trip, you'll be welcomed with open arms.  Don't forget Tasmania, especially the interior and the wilderness. Quite unique and so easy to do. 

We had the chance to also visit Tasmania as we were doing B2B from Sydney to Auckland. I will always remember meeting with koalas, kangaroos and Tasmanian devils in a place where they take care of orphans, I believe they will be very busy for the next months, it’s sad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

We’re doing our part. Land trip this September. Putting our daily vacation dollars into the local economy. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

We’re doing our part. Land trip this September. Putting our daily vacation dollars into the local economy. 

Terrific and a wonderful time of the year, May and September are just the best!  Wish I could throw you all a backyard 'Barby' aka BBQ!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

A land trip is great it is such a huge country, a cruise only touches the fringes.

Some years ago we did a general tour including 7 internal fights.

Our very first cruise was around the Barrier Reef booked on the spur of the moment while touring.

We have been back several times since to spend more time in certain areas, we have good friends there, some of whom we met on cruises.

• Like 1

I agree, Australia is a lovely country & repays spending time there. Our daughter lived there for 8 years and we went four times. First time Sydney then McKay for a small ship cruise to the Whitsundays and barrier reef then drive from McKay to Port Douglas via Charter Towers & the Winterton Table lands. Second time we stayed in Newcastle, third and fourth time we stayed in Melbourne but drove the Great Ocean Road and had a few days in Tasmania. We never got to the north to Darwin or to Perth in the west as our daughter & husband then came home after they had twins and found it difficult staying there with no family support.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

A land trip is great it is such a huge country, a cruise only touches the fringes.

Some years ago we did a general tour including 7 internal fights.

Our very first cruise was around the Barrier Reef booked on the spur of the moment while touring.

We have been back several times since to spend more time in certain areas, we have good friends there, some of whom we met on cruises.

This will be our 4th trip I think. We’ve never cruised there. We were just there in November and added in the Westcoast for the first time with a week in Perth and Margaret River. We fell in love with Port Douglas our very first trip and always go back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

This will be our 4th trip I think. We’ve never cruised there. We were just there in November and added in the Westcoast for the first time with a week in Perth and Margaret River. We fell in love with Port Douglas our very first trip and always go back. 

We also love North Queensland, spent a few nights at Silky Oaks lodge in the rain Forrest, highly recommended.

• Like 1

Can't seem to get enough of New Zealand!  Have switched out our on-board France booking slated for next summer, to Pursuit's sailing from AKL to SYD on Feb. 6.  We were able not only to retain our LCV discount on the fare, but picked up add'l OBC as well.  In this case, booking a year out is working well for us - and we get to revisit some favorite NZ ports plus experience new-to-us ports in Australia.  Win/Win!

• Like 2

I love Australia and New Zealand. Would love to go back, but it's so far away for me and after the latest cruise there just finished I will stick to closer to home. Luckily Europe has much to offer and I can take advantage of later bookings and deals.

Next up Celebrity Summit in October to Canada to hopefully catch the fall colours. 🍁

Phil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I love Australia and New Zealand. Would love to go back, but it's so far away for me and after the latest cruise there just finished I will stick to closer to home. Luckily Europe has much to offer and I can take advantage of later bookings and deals.

Next up Celebrity Summit in October to Canada to hopefully catch the fall colours. 🍁

Phil 

Looking forward to tour comments concerning Canadian ports.

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Phil, we did the Canada and New England on the Summit (last cruise of the Season) in October and the colour was amazing.  We loved the Summit too as that is the Celebrity Class we enjoy the most.  We particularly enjoyed the fall colours in the St Laurence river because we are so used to everything here being 'tropical'. You'll have a magical time. Jenny

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:23 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I agree, Australia is a lovely country & repays spending time there. Our daughter lived there for 8 years and we went four times. First time Sydney then McKay for a small ship cruise to the Whitsundays and barrier reef then drive from McKay to Port Douglas via Charter Towers & the Winterton Table lands. Second time we stayed in Newcastle, third and fourth time we stayed in Melbourne but drove the Great Ocean Road and had a few days in Tasmania. We never got to the north to Darwin or to Perth in the west as our daughter & husband then came home after they had twins and found it difficult staying there with no family support.

You certainly got a good feel for Australia.  The Great Ocean Road and Tasmania are amongst my favourites, both places we take our international friends when they visit.  We are going to Uluru for our first time in May.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Can't seem to get enough of New Zealand!  Have switched out our on-board France booking slated for next summer, to Pursuit's sailing from AKL to SYD on Feb. 6.  We were able not only to retain our LCV discount on the fare, but picked up add'l OBC as well.  In this case, booking a year out is working well for us - and we get to revisit some favorite NZ ports plus experience new-to-us ports in Australia.  Win/Win!

Great, let me know if you need any tips on the Aussie Port of Call!

3 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

You certainly got a good feel for Australia.  The Great Ocean Road and Tasmania are amongst my favourites, both places we take our international friends when they visit.  We are going to Uluru for our first time in May.

Love Tassie, we used to live there but moved after retirement to a warmer climate. Ocean Road is aptly named Great.

I am sure you will have done research on Uluru, but as I recollected a couple of things about our visit many years ago, I had a bit of a look to see whether some things may have changed. You may find some points in this link useful :

https://loveswah.com/2018/07/travel-tips-uluru-aka-things-wish-knew-went/

I recollected some of our group struggling to walk on the fine red sand of the desert in high heeled shoes over the considerable distance from the bus to the actual venue for the Sounds of Silence dinner! No suggestions regarding attire had been given other than dress in layers as it can get quite cool once the sun goes down.

Enjoy your visit!

10 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Love Tassie, we used to live there but moved after retirement to a warmer climate. Ocean Road is aptly named Great.

I am sure you will have done research on Uluru, but as I recollected a couple of things about our visit many years ago, I had a bit of a look to see whether some things may have changed. You may find some points in this link useful :

https://loveswah.com/2018/07/travel-tips-uluru-aka-things-wish-knew-went/

I recollected some of our group struggling to walk on the fine red sand of the desert in high heeled shoes over the considerable distance from the bus to the actual venue for the Sounds of Silence dinner! No suggestions regarding attire had been given other than dress in layers as it can get quite cool once the sun goes down.

Enjoy your visit!

thanks Sarah, the link is most useful.  I knew most of it. We are also flying Jetstar with carry on allowance so I'm leaving the heels at home.  I have the usual zip off outdoor travel pants and will travel as light as I can - but your information is good and I've shared the link with my other half (it's our 35th wedding anniversary weekend). We have hired a car and will drive out to the rock etc for sunrise, sunset and the walk around the rock etc.  We've booked the dinner, the fields of lights (the main reason for going) and despite a car hire, we've booked at day tour to King's Canyon.  We are staying at Sails in the Dessert.  I'd heard it's all expensive... Thanks again.  I will buy the park pass before we go along with the fly net, we're expecting it to be cool in the evenings May 1st . Thanks again.

31 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

thanks Sarah, the link is most useful.  I knew most of it. We are also flying Jetstar with carry on allowance so I'm leaving the heels at home.  I have the usual zip off outdoor travel pants and will travel as light as I can - but your information is good and I've shared the link with my other half (it's our 35th wedding anniversary weekend). We have hired a car and will drive out to the rock etc for sunrise, sunset and the walk around the rock etc.  We've booked the dinner, the fields of lights (the main reason for going) and despite a car hire, we've booked at day tour to King's Canyon.  We are staying at Sails in the Dessert.  I'd heard it's all expensive... Thanks again.  I will buy the park pass before we go along with the fly net, we're expecting it to be cool in the evenings May 1st . Thanks again.

You're welcome. I was pretty sure you would have been well prepared, but recollecting some who were not . . . .

Should have said the link was not my post, but that of an unknown (to me) person.

Sunrise and sunset are magic. Cheers,

Trish

We did a 3 week round trip from Perth down to Albany in November last year with a stopover in Bali at each end. We had previously visited the east coast a couple of years before and loved it but both felt the West coast was best. I agree a cruise is no way to see Australia you are merely scratching the surface. We did a cruise round New Zealand a couple of years ago and whilst we enjoyed it we felt we should have done it as a road trip. Hopefully be back to Australia in the future.