Cheap and easy way to get from Boston pier to NYC?

fstuff1

Celebrity Summit repositioning from Cape Liberty, NJ to Boston, MA. (Aug 2020)

i plan to be on that 28day cruise. (im going solo with 1 carry-on luggage and a backpack.)

it's easy to go from NYC to cape liberty. (Uber)

but whats a cheap and easy way to go from Boston pier back to NY? Amtrak? Greyhound?

Edited by fstuff1

Amtrak-- I used to commute between Boston and New York nearly twice a week and the train is the best way to go. You can book in advance on the Regionals to get a good fare or you can splurge on the (slightly) faster Acela.

Flying between the cities doesn't make a ton of sense when you factor in travel to the airport, security, and flight time-- the train, city center to city center, is about as fast. And Greyhounds get stuck in traffic. 

In Boston both South Station and the bus station are located in the same area a block apart.  They are a quick inexpensive cab or Uber ride from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal (also known as the Flynn Cruiseport) or a short ride on the accessible Silver Line for $2.90.  Details can be provided. I’ve done both trips many times and prefer Amtrak.  The Northeast Regional Train takes about 20 minutes longer than the Acela Train.  The rolling stock for both is similar - comfortable seats with good legroom, electrical outlets, and WiFi.  IMO no real reason to spend the extra money for Acela.

I’m also a solo traveler with carry on luggage.  I’m sailing from Cape Liberty in 3 weeks and will go round trip on Amtrak.  In New York I will walk to PATH at 33rd&6th, ride to Hoboken and take the HBLR light rail to 34th St Bayonne where I will get a local cab or Uber into the port. Both PATH and the HBLR are accessible with luggage -details can be provided.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:48 AM, 138east said:

The rolling stock for both is similar - comfortable seats with good legroom, electrical outlets, and WiFi.  IMO no real reason to spend the extra money for Acela.

They are not even close to similar. Regionals are on much older rolling stock (that has been recently updated with newer seats) and is offered in coach or business class. These cars have small, narrow rectangular windows. 

Acelas are much brighter with much larger windows and are all business class with an additional first class car that offers complimentary drinks and hot meals delivered to your seat by an attendant. 

Your budget will determine which one is better for you but its very misleading to say that both options are the same. 

On 1/8/2020 at 12:22 PM, princeton123211 said:

They are not even close to similar. Regionals are on much older rolling stock (that has been recently updated with newer seats) and is offered in coach or business class. These cars have small, narrow rectangular windows. 

Acelas are much brighter with much larger windows and are all business class with an additional first class car that offers complimentary drinks and hot meals delivered to your seat by an attendant. 

Your budget will determine which one is better for you but its very misleading to say that both options are the same. 

They are similar. Yes, the Acela is newer and brighter, but it's "all business class" class in name only; the benefits are exactly the same as coach on the NE Regional, and less than business. It's also 3-5X more expensive (or more) than a NE Regional, and on a WAS to NYP or BOS to NYP run, will save you on average 30 minutes travel time.

I like the Acela. I travel it when I'm booking close in, or have a hard time in NYC, and it's sometimes less expensive than a NE Regional, but there's nothing wrong with the NE Regional.

“Cheap” and “easy” rarely coincide.  If you want cheap, take public transit from Boston pier to where you catch the bus.  If you want easy, take a taxi to South Station and then Amtrak (selecting class of service you might think worth the price — but do not believe anyone who says there is no difference between Acela and NE Regional).

• Like 1

Flixbus is another option, similar/like Boltbus - cheap compared to Greyhound ... free WiFi onboard, comfortable (compared to flying) seating & power outlet, onboard entertainment (connect to your own device) options - about 4.5 hour on average between Boston & NYC (W. 31 St. - Penn Station area)   

No personal experience as we drive to/from Boston ourselves but 2 of the nieces do it & they pack/travel light.  Plan & purchase tickets in advance, one-way fare between $10 to $20 on average.  Their buses leave from South Station area on a frequent basis.  

Also, there are those Chinatown buses that leave near Tufts Medical Center area, off Kneeland Street & Beach Street - $10 to $20 is what the nieces paid ... reputations & safety records aren't as great but, they seemed always full. 

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Also, there are those Chinatown buses that leave near Tufts Medical Center area, off Kneeland Street & Beach Street - $10 to $20 is what the nieces paid ... reputations & safety records aren't as great but, they seemed always full. 

Yes - and they are the closest above-ground things to New York’s Lexington Avenue line at 5:00 PM.