Flights from Vancouver to Papeete

raverski

We are booked on the Legends to Lagoons cruise starting in Papeete on March 15, 2020. All flights appear to go through LAX with a substantial (6 hour) layover. Our flight on Air Tahiti Nui is scheduled to arrive in Papeete at 10:25 pm. By the time we pick up our luggage and arrange transport we will likely get to the ship (Regatta) just before midnight. So we will have lost the better part of the 1st day, including meals and settling in, just traveling. This is a day we have paid for and Oceania is unwilling to compensate us in any way for this situation.

It would have been helpful if Oceania had provided us with travel options. For example we could have been asked if we wished to fly on March 14. We know there is a deviation charge but this could have been waived under the circumstances. In addition we would have needed overnight accommodation on the 14th. Surely that could have been offered at a reasonable rate. 

We have cruised with Oceania 5-6 times before. We have always accepted their package including air fare. The travel issue with this cruise was unknown to us. But it couldn't have been unknown to Oceania.

We are extremely disappointed with Oceania at this time. It puts further cruises in doubt.

I wonder how many others are finding themselves in this predicament.

9 minutes ago, raverski said:

We are booked on the Legends to Lagoons cruise starting in Papeete on March 15, 2020. All flights appear to go through LAX with a substantial (6 hour) layover. Our flight on Air Tahiti Nui is scheduled to arrive in Papeete at 10:25 pm. By the time we pick up our luggage and arrange transport we will likely get to the ship (Regatta) just before midnight. So we will have lost the better part of the 1st day, including meals and settling in, just traveling. This is a day we have paid for and Oceania is unwilling to compensate us in any way for this situation.

It would have been helpful if Oceania had provided us with travel options. For example we could have been asked if we wished to fly on March 14. We know there is a deviation charge but this could have been waived under the circumstances. In addition we would have needed overnight accommodation on the 14th. Surely that could have been offered at a reasonable rate. 

We have cruised with Oceania 5-6 times before. We have always accepted their package including air fare. The travel issue with this cruise was unknown to us. But it couldn't have been unknown to Oceania.

We are extremely disappointed with Oceania at this time. It puts further cruises in doubt.

Yet another reason to DIY air.

If you can get to LA, you can also get to SFO.

United 115 on 3/14/20:  SFO 11:50AM to PPT arr 5:40PM. Stay overnight at the Intercontinental and have a great dinner at their Michelin starred "Lotus" restaurant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, raverski said:

We have cruised with Oceania 5-6 times before. We have always accepted their package including air fare. The travel issue with this cruise was unknown to us. But it couldn't have been unknown to Oceania

There are a limited number of non-stop flights from the USA to PPT, and none from YVR.  It would have been very easy to look at the options available to you by a simple search on any of the various meta-search sites for air travel.

Basically, there is:

United from SFO on the 14th - 11:50 to 17:40

Air Tahiti Nui from LAX on the 14th - 17:15 to 22:25

Air France from LAX on the 15th - 00:30 to 06:10

Air Tahiti Nui from LX on the 15th - 17:15 to 22:25

Oceania provided you with transportation per their air terms and conditions.  Had you wanted to arrive on an earlier flight, that onus is on you.  Further, if you take a deviation to an earlier day, Oceania is not responsible for any lodging or meal costs.

I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the reality of the situation.  Accepting their air package without deviation means you take what they give you.  Not sure if you can change at this time, but those are the only non-stop flights from the USA to Tahiti on your travel time.  (There is also an option to take Hawaiian from SEA via HNL on the 14th).

Caveat emptor.  Especially when you pass along decision making to another entity.

Oceania included air works off the premise that you fly in the day of the cruise. Flying in on the day of the cruise is always a risky and often a fatiguing idea. Always do the air yourself.

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yet another reason to DIY air.

If you can get to LA, you can also get to SFO.

United 115 on 3/14/20:  SFO 11:50AM to PPT arr 5:40PM. Stay overnight at the Intercontinental and have a great dinner at their Michelin starred "Lotus" restaurant.

Thank you for the info. While we just received the flight details 5 days ago we will see if anything can be done to cancel the flight portion.

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

There are a limited number of non-stop flights from the USA to PPT, and none from YVR.  It would have been very easy to look at the options available to you by a simple search on any of the various meta-search sites for air travel.

Basically, there is:

United from SFO on the 14th - 11:50 to 17:40

Air Tahiti Nui from LAX on the 14th - 17:15 to 22:25

Air France from LAX on the 15th - 00:30 to 06:10

Air Tahiti Nui from LX on the 15th - 17:15 to 22:25

Oceania provided you with transportation per their air terms and conditions.  Had you wanted to arrive on an earlier flight, that onus is on you.  Further, if you take a deviation to an earlier day, Oceania is not responsible for any lodging or meal costs.

I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the reality of the situation.  Accepting their air package without deviation means you take what they give you.  Not sure if you can change at this time, but those are the only non-stop flights from the USA to Tahiti on your travel time.  (There is also an option to take Hawaiian from SEA via HNL on the 14th).

Caveat emptor.  Especially when you pass along decision making to another entity.

Thank you. The SFO on the 14th would be our choice. We'll see if we can cancel the air portion of the cruise cost, though doubtful. And you're right, seems it's on us.

We have used a mix of Oceania reservations and our own flight reservations- depends on the situation.  If we use Oceania Air, we will always use the deviation program.  The deviation air system usually opens about 270 days ahead of sailing- when the airlines have finalized their schedules and pricing for that sailing time frame.  We pick our own flight days and flights, submit to Oceania through our TA, in 24 hours Oceania air dept. will usually reply with the requested flight information and whether there is an additional fee vs. their planned scheduled flights.  You have 72 hours to review, You can accept or go back with alternative flight requests. 

1 hour ago, raverski said:

Silly to be caught out like this after so many cruises where we generally make our own flight arrangements. Lesson learned. Our bad. No need for further comments, thanks just the same. we will have to live with the current situation.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, raverski said:

Silly to be caught out like this after so many cruises where we generally make our own flight arrangements. Lesson learned. Our bad. No need for further comments, thanks just the same. we will have to live with the current situation.

You asked for no comments but this is for anyone else caught in the same situation flying to Papeete using O air. Two years ago we did the same and let O book our air as it was less expensive than booking air ourselves to Papeete. But fortunately my TA warned us that O charters the flight that leaves late same day from LAX as the cruise (meaning bought 100 seats or more for their passengers).

Because of that we bought the air deviation which worked out to be just a tad less than buying air independently. Turned out that flight we would have been on arrived 2 hours late in Papeete but the ship was held till 2am for those passengers to board. But poor passengers on board that flight from LAX were probably sweating bullets.

Those that arrived late were bummed as it messed with their tours the following day. In bed at 3am and up at 7am for their tours. It's really a shame, and a bad way to be introduced to the joys of using O air. Thanks goodness for good TA's

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

if booking with O..... They sometimes  have Business class seats they will sell you   Last I remember it was $600pp   and Worth it.      Air France and UAL  have the best seats and equipment

Unless there is an Oceania advertised upgrade offer (I.e., for premium economy or bizclass), requesting a deviation from the provided economy fare is a very bad idea. Even O's air office will tell you to DIY since the price you'll be quoted does not deduct the value of the economy air (i.e., no air credit). Thus, you'd actually be paying the equivalent of two airfares.

In pretty much every cruise we've considered for O bizclass, it's always been better/cheaper to take the O air credit, buy upgradable economy tix and upgrade to bizclass with FF points (or just pocket the credit and use FF points alone for bizclass award tix).  

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Unless there is an Oceania advertised upgrade offer (I.e., for premium economy or bizclass), requesting a deviation from the provided economy fare is a very bad idea. Even O's air office will tell you to DIY since the price you'll be quoted does not deduct the value of the economy air (i.e., no air credit). Thus, you'd actually be paying the equivalent of two airfares.

In pretty much every cruise we've considered for O bizclass, it's always been better/cheaper to take the O air credit, buy upgradable economy tix and upgrade to bizclass with FF points (or just pocket the credit and use FF points alone for bizclass award tix).  

I agree.   However, when O has you on a charter Tahiti Nui,  they sometimes reserve a bloc of business seats  and sell them for a economical sum     If your flying Hawaiian or Tahiti Nui, revenue. in coach   they will sell us sold business class for aomething like $200 pp, Or they used to...  It was common for Bonehead AIR ( Hawaiian) to do this they dont advertise this you have to ask

Be careful with them if you buy revenue business class.  They have a whole bunch of fees and and you get areound 60% if you cancel the ticket..

37 minutes ago, raverski said:

Our plan is to ask about an upgrade when we get to LAX.

Get there at least 3 hours early to get on the list...you wont be the only one.  Be prepared to have a plan B  like if there are 2 of you and only 1 seat..... ( remember Seinfeld)

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Get there at least 3 hours early to get on the list...you wont be the only one.  Be prepared to have a plan B  like if there are 2 of you and only 1 seat..... ( remember Seinfeld)

If they are flying on United, there won't be any upgrades left after the  high end FF folks pick them over  days before.

15 hours ago, Petoonya said:

But fortunately my TA warned us that O charters the flight that leaves late same day from LAX as the cruise (meaning bought 100 seats or more for their passengers).

NoNoNoNoNo

This is NOT what a "charter" is.  A charter is when an entity (be it a cruiseline, travel agency, travel provider or whatever) contract for an ENTIRE aircraft to operate on a non-scheduled basis.  At that point, the airplane operates on the route contracted for, at the date and time of the contract.  All purchases of seats are to the travel arranger that contracted for the charter and the aircraft operator only does so as a contracted service - not a scheduled air carrier.

If an entity buys those 100+ seats (or for that matter, any number) and is utilizing a scheduled service, this is NOT a charter.  It is merely a group purchase of seats on a scheduled flight.

Nomenclature is important, because there are operational differences as well as how ticketing and irops are processed.  Plus other factors that I won't get into here.

11 hours ago, raverski said:

Our plan is to ask about an upgrade when we get to LAX.

Hope you are prepared to be disappointed.

There is a finite amount of lift between LAX/SFO and PPT.  Demand for business seats is sky-high and airlines have little reason to provide upgrades - usually any upgrade cost would be the full fare difference between coach and business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

NoNoNoNoNo

This is NOT what a "charter" is.

Sorry you are offended. Charter is what my TA called it and described to me as. I apologize if if I passed on misinformation from her.

Nomenclature is important, because there are operational differences as well as how ticketing and irops are processed.  Plus other factors that I won't get into here.

Nomenclature is important. I apologize for this misinformation especially if you or anyone else is bothered because there are operational differences as well as how ticketing and irops are processed. Plus the other factors you can't get into here.

I stand corrected.

Hope you are prepared to be disappointed.

There is a finite amount of lift between LAX/SFO and PPT.  Demand for business seats is sky-high and airlines have little reason to provide upgrades - usually any upgrade cost would be the full fare difference between coach and business.

As Flatbush said..... any ( read ALL) upgrades are processed starting  several days before the flight and are given to that airlines most valued   flyers who have the highest elite status.... Standby  for any seat is also processed in order of  status rank    Unless your a 100K a year flyer   Or Gold level,   forget it  for Tahiti and similar     Last time I checked a rt LAX-PPT was around $4000 pp usd...

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

As Flatbush said..... any ( read ALL) upgrades are processed starting  several days before the flight and are given to that airlines most valued   flyers who have the highest elite status.... Standby  for any seat is also processed in order of  status rank    Unless your a 100K a year flyer   Or Gold level,   forget it  for Tahiti and similar     Last time I checked a rt LAX-PPT was around $4000 pp usd...

That wasn't Flattop, that was FlyerTalker. We must be accurate here. C'mon Dan. 

Last year at least, and I think historically, Oceania has chartered a plane from Air Tahiti Nui. The entire plane was O cruisers.  That flight doesn’t show up on the regular Airlines schedule .I don’t remember what time it arrived, but I remember a lot of cruisers being  on it departing around 11ish at cruise end. I thought it got into Papeete early morning much the same as the AF flight.

This was in addition to passengers put on AF or the regular scheduled TN flight.

We flew UA via SFO. I don’t believe O put anyone on those flights. All DIY flyers.

Edited by pinotlover

Upon thought and consideration on this issue, I highly doubt that Oceania still does the charter flight.

Paulchilli and I were blessed to have done Australia and NZ back in 2015 aboard the Marina. O took her off that route in 2016 and she didn’t progress farther than the FP after that. Because of insufficient sales, we were likewise blessed with being on the Marina for one of her last FP cruises last year. She now doesn’t leave SA for the winter and Oceania now covers those routes with R ships. 

With the drastic reduction of passengers to haul , going from an O ship to R, a total charter flight is probably no longer required. Regular commercial air will suffice.

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Upon thought and consideration on this issue, I highly doubt that Oceania still does the charter flight.

Paulchilli and I were blessed to have done Australia and NZ back in 2015 aboard the Marina. O took her off that route in 2016 and she didn’t progress farther than the FP after that. Because of insufficient sales, we were likewise blessed with being on the Marina for one of her last FP cruises last year. She now doesn’t leave SA for the winter and Oceania now covers those routes with R ships. 

With the drastic reduction of passengers to haul , going from an O ship to R, a total charter flight is probably no longer required. Regular commercial air will suffice.

I believe you're off by a year. We were on the Marina from Sydney to Papeete starting Feb 23rd 2016, to March 25th, 2016. That I believe was Marina's last year in Tahiti.