Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

9 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

There is no tourist tax, so don’t worry about that one. 

Taxies are all over the place and if not, just get the reception to call one for you. 

Crikey.... that was quick! If hailing a Taxi is as quick I'll be well impressed! lol  😂

Many thanks....

High Danish Viking,

Couple of questions.

Does your city have Uber?

we are staying at a Airbnb  in old copenhagen  in June /20

Griffenfelsgade 43, Kobenhavn, Denmark    The other couple doesn't want to take the train if possible, so do you have a idea what a taxi would cost or Uber if you have it.  I keep trying to tell them that train travel is great over there, not like here in Canada...lol

We are also going to get the " Copenhagen card" for 48 hrs.   What are the "must" see things?  I haven't been to your city since 1972 so I'm sure things have changed.  Thank you for your help.

There is no Uber or similar services in Denmark because they are illegal 

But taxis are very reliable and a price for taxi from the airport is in the 60-70 USD range. 

The Metro is probably easier to take than the train when coming from the airport. 

Your apartment is located 10 minute on foot from Forum metro station so from the airport you have a direct line without any change of train. 

I don't know what things was like in the 70'ies in Copenhagen (I was born in 1985) but I'll guess that you should take as everything you visited is brand new. 

Tivoli is not the same 🙂 do go for that one and if you take a canal tour you will see some of the amazing new buildings from the harbour like The Black Diamant and Blox. 

If Tivoli is been there done that then you could visit the Bakken amusement park out in the Deer Garden north of Copenhagen, its the worlds oldest amusement park. 

Glyptoteket and The national museum is always worth a visit and so is Statens Museum For Kunst. 

Opening this May is the new resistance museum that has been totally rebuild after a large fire that destroyed the old building.

Luckily they saved all the things on display so they will still be there from the old museum. 

A boat from my hometown Køge that helped many jews escaping to Sweden will one of the new things on display.

The zoo with the 2 panda's (and the other animals) and the Blue Planet aquarium is also worth a visit. 

If you want to visit the area outside of Copenhagen then I can recommend a visit to Kronborg Castle (Hamlet) and Frederiksborg Palace in northern Zealand. 

Or visit Roskilde with the Viking ship museum, Cathedral and Ragnarock music museum. 

• Like 2

Hello Danish Viking and thank you very much for this informative thread! We will be visiting Copenhagen in August this year so I am following with interest.

Off the beaten pat kind of question: do you know if there is still a cat cafe in Copenhagen? I can find one online, Cafe Miao, but do not see any updates since 2017, which leads me to think it might be closed. My kids and I are crazy cat people and look forward to meeting kitties wherever we go.

Hi Danish Viking, thanks for all your helpful info on this thread.

We are cruising into Kalundborg in May and were thinking of hiring a car for sight-seeing, including possibly visiting Copenhagen.  We would have about 7 hours from 0900 - 1600 hrs, do you have any advice on a potential route, places to visit, things to see or travelling tips?

Cherers !!

7 hours ago, Kalynan said:

We would have about 7 hours from 0900 - 1600 hrs, do you have any advice on a potential route, places to visit, things to see or travelling tips

Traveling route is obvious- there is a direct highway from Kalundborg to Copenhagen - check on Google Maps. 
Just be aware that  driving time is almost one and half hour - then you need to find parking in Copenhagen. Tell a bit more about interests in order to get the most out of you four hours in Copenhagen (assuming that 9 to 16 is the time you have your rental car. Also note that rental car availability in Kalundborg might be limited.

Edited by hallasm

Danish Viking - thank you so much for all the helpful information you share.  We had the pleasure of spending time in your city in 2009 and 2011 and plan to return in July 2020.  Question on the Metro - is the Marmorkirken stop a functioning stop? or a planned future stop?  It doesn't always appear when I'm searching for the closest stop to the Phoenix Copenhagen Hotel.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Marmorkirken is indeed the closest stop to your hotel. 

The station opened in September 2019 so its very new. 

Currently there is a train every 3th minute in each direction on the M3 line but when M4 opens on the 28th of March then it will be every 1,5 minute. 

Some fun facts om Marmorkirken

It is the deepest station on the entire network. 

The station is unique in that way that the platforms are located on top of each other instead of side by side. 

That is because of the proximity to the Marble church so they had to make the station box narrower than the others. 

• Like 2

Help!!

I'm totally stumped. I will be coming in 2 days before the cruise and have no idea where to stay.  Which areas are better than others? I prefer mass transit so if it's less than 1000 meters to a transit stop that would be preferable as I will walk with a rolling suitcase

Thank you!! I haven't been there in over a decade and places change. I've booked both Hotel Victoria and Ascot Hotel but is that an okay area? Which would you cancel -- one or both and somewhere else?

Edited by Ombud

11 hours ago, Oliver Hansen said:

Anything else we could think about?

Here you have my vote.

Tivoli Garden for sure. Also the canal boat  tours and the guard change at the royal Palace. The Shopping Mile ‘Strøget’ with the Departement stores and Royal Copenhagen Shop.

You can also visit Rundetårn (The Round Tower),  Nyhavn (New Habor) and Rosenberg Castle. Walk along the  harbor through Kastellet to the a Little Mermaid.

Everything in walking distance from a central Copenhagen Hotel.

The I’ll suggest a visit to the Freetown of Christiana - take metro from Kongens Nytorv to Christianshavn.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Oliver Hansen said:

Hi Danish Viking

We are planning to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen prior to the cruise and I am trying to figure out how to entertain my family there. What do you think - is Tivoli park good for teenagers (13 and 15 y.o)? Anything else we could think about? I am pretty sure me and my wife will be fine, but I am a little bit concerned about our girls, this will be their first trip to Europe.  Thanks in advance!

Yes Tivoli will surely be something for the kids. 

Hallasm gave some suggestion but besides the canal tour and the palaces I don't know how kids friendly they are. 

I would probably go to see the pandas at the zoo or go to the blue planet aquarium. 

I don't know if the girls are interested in old cultures and vikings, but else the open air museum (frilandsmuseet) or the viking ship museum in Roskilde could be something to see. 

In Roskilde there is also the Ragnarock music museum. 

But if they love princesses etc they would love Rosenborg and Frederiksborg Palace. 

Frederiksborg can be combined witg Kronborg Castle, the home of Hamlet. 

But they will already see lots of palaces in St Petersborg so maybe its not that interesting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Help!!

I'm totally stumped. I will be coming in 2 days before the cruise and have no idea where to stay.  Which areas are better than others? I prefer mass transit so if it's less than 1000 meters to a transit stop that would be preferable as I will walk with a rolling suitcase

Thank you!! I haven't been there in over a decade and places change. I've booked both Hotel Victoria and Ascot Hotel but is that an okay area? Which would you cancel -- one or both and somewhere else?

Ascot is really good located,  just remember that Pumpehuset has outdoor summer koncerts. 

Victoria is located a little bit far away from the main attractions, I think you will be sorry for the long walks every day to get to a d from the hotel.

But as long as you book a hotel near the central station and Kongens Nytorv you can't go that wrong. 

Because you will have access to train or metro from the airport and metro line M4 will tale you most of the way out to the Cruise terminals.

But more on that when I know the details around shuttle busses etc. 

• Thanks 1

Wow Selma looks wonderful, I have never heard about it but the reviews on both google and Tripadvisor looks good and I took a look on the menu.

It is pricey but I´m sure that the quality can live up to the price tag.

btw I was just curious so I looked at other high end Smørrebrøds restaurants and the price level is roughly the same as Aamanns and actually cheaper than Ida Davidsen.

So expect around 400-500 kroner per person if you include a snaps and a beer. (you have to have a Snaps for your Smørrebrød)

We are currently booked at the Danhostel Copenhagen City. Spending so much on the cruise and only needing a room for one night it saved us some $$.  I can't remember if I asked this already but will it be an ok walk from Central Station, that seems to be the closest station.  We will both have a small suitcase and smaller sized backpacks and we are mobile.  It looks managable but never being to Europe and hearing of cobblestone streets wasn't sure how reasonable I am being.  

13 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Ascot is really good located,  just remember that Pumpehuset has outdoor summer koncerts. ..... But as long as you book a hotel near the central station and Kongens Nytorv you can't go that wrong. 

Because you will have access to train or metro from the airport and metro line M4 will tale you most of the way out to the Cruise terminals.

Or Hotel Skt. Annæ? I spent a summer near Stroget (hotel on corner but think it was a shared bathroom -- I was younger) probably before you were born [1972] and a week in 2004 but areas change.  Is it still walkable or have cars taken over? Bicycle rentals still plentiful?

1 hour ago, thillman123 said:

We are currently booked at the Danhostel Copenhagen City. Spending so much on the cruise and only needing a room for one night it saved us some $$.  I can't remember if I asked this already but will it be an ok walk from Central Station, that seems to be the closest station.  We will both have a small suitcase and smaller sized backpacks and we are mobile.  It looks managable but never being to Europe and hearing of cobblestone streets wasn't sure how reasonable I am being.  

I would say that its walkable, but instead you can just take bus 5C from the central station towards Københavns Lufthavn or Sundbyvester Plads and get off at Otto Mønsteds Plads.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Danhostel+Copenhagen+City,+H.+C.+Andersens+Boulevard,+Copenhagen/Otto+Mønsteds+Plads+(Rysensteensgade),+1563+København/@55.6712057,12.5742702,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525314bba5661d:0x3e0085970c383aba!2m2!1d12.5767237!2d55.6710805!1m5!1m1!1s0x465253134fc815f7:0x58454ae2bb9138f4!2m2!1d12.5740638!2d55.6708919!3e2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Or Hotel Skt. Annæ? I spent a summer near Stroget (hotel on corner but think it was a shared bathroom -- I was younger) probably before you were born [1972] and a week in 2004 but areas change.  Is it still walkable or have cars taken over? Bicycle rentals still plentiful?

Hotel Sankt Annæ is also a good option, in that area you could also check out Scandic Front or Copenhagen Admiral Hotel.

56 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

Hotel Sankt Annæ is also a good option, in that area you could also check out Scandic Front or Copenhagen Admiral Hotel.

Perfect!! I can rent a bike from Hotel Sankt Annæ which is a plus for me. Will look for renting a bike near the other 2 ..... 

Edited by Ombud

Nørrebro Bryghus, Mikkeler, Evil Twin, Amager Bryghus, Braunstein, Hornbeer, Herslev Bryghus. 

And then we have plenty of other danish Micro breweries but if you say local then Its the one I can think off. 

The Visit Carlsberg museum is closed because of renovation and it will probably not open during this cruise deason. 

41 minutes ago, Oliver Hansen said:

Awesome, thanks  a million! I didn't think about the zoo, I am sure they will love pandas. Otherwise viking ship or music museum could be something of interest. 

I really enjoyed the Viking ship museum In Roskilde. Inside there are the ships and displays but outside there is all sorts of stuff going on from crafts to talks on aspects of Viking shipbuilding and sailing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 3:30 AM, Danish viking said:

...  or the viking ship museum in Roskilde could be something to see... 

We've had the pleasure of visiting Copenhagen 10 years ago for a few days and looking for something different to do.

Is it possible to visit this museum on a port day, or only feasible if staying in Copenhagen for a couple of days?

We're scheduled to visit Tues Sept 22.