Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

23 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I'm cheap.

I think frugal would be more apropos - I suspect that you are not cheap. In addition to being frugal, I actually enjoy the planning that goes into learning the ins and outs of public transportation in foreign countries that I visit.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Are you? I have avoided it completely since the start of the pandemic. Right now I either drive where I need to go or cycle. I have a hospital appointment in a week and a half, and the TTC might be the most convenient way to go, but I'm still hesitating. (Having just turned 65 I got my Presto card adjusted for seniors rates, but I have yet to use it.

I will be travelling in September, and will probably take the UP Express (for non-locals the train from downtown Toronto to Pearson airport) rather than a limo. Coming home, depending on what time I arrive, I will decide whether to use transit or take a limo.

Yes, I avoided it during the pandemic too.  I took the subway from Spadina Station to Bay several weeks back to pick up a book from Indigo, then I walked home.  We've been driving each other to medical appointments, vaccinations, etc.  We live downtown, so once live music starts up, we'll be taking the subway again I assume--hate driving downtown.  I'll probably take the subway streetcar next week for my doctor's appointment, again, a short trip, Spadina to Bathurst then down to Western Hospital.  A short trip--if the weather's nice I may well walk.  My d-i-l took the UP Express a couple of weeks back with no problems.

21 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, I avoided it during the pandemic too.  I took the subway from Spadina Station to Bay several weeks back to pick up a book from Indigo, then I walked home.  We've been driving each other to medical appointments, vaccinations, etc.  We live downtown, so once live music starts up, we'll be taking the subway again I assume--hate driving downtown.  I'll probably take the subway streetcar next week for my doctor's appointment, again, a short trip, Spadina to Bathurst then down to Western Hospital.  A short trip--if the weather's nice I may well walk.  My d-i-l took the UP Express a couple of weeks back with no problems.

I too hate driving downtown, so when music and theatre come back I will have to use the TTC if the bicycle is not an option.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I too hate driving downtown, so when music and theatre come back I will have to use the TTC if the bicycle is not an option.

Good for you for doing all that biking.  I gave up biking in the city about 30 years ago, ha ha, although I still have bikes in Florida and at the cottage (but don't go very far any more.)

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Good for you for doing all that biking.  I gave up biking in the city about 30 years ago, ha ha, although I still have bikes in Florida and at the cottage (but don't go very far any more.)

please stick to the subject of this topic - Copenhagen!

You’re hijacking the topic.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips re: luggage and the train to the airport. I may have to rethink transportation to the airport. Not sure yet what my luggage situation will be after a 14-day cruise 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

Does anyone know of decent wine store near port of Copenhagen?

Assuming port is Oceankaj - quite remote location and no wine shops nearby. If you start your cruis in Copenhagen you’ll probably arrive at least a day early - there might be better options nearby your hotel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

what would be a normal cab fare from the airport into the city?

US$80 is a fair Price for pre-booked taxi  - Price does vary based on week day/ time of the day and also traffic - price from airport to your hotel will range between  DKK 335 (US$ 53) to DKK 420 (US$ 67). 

Normally a taxi will be available at the airport. Taxi will accept credit card and tips nor required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EFF8D1D0-FADA-4DAA-BA5C-2B55E409AE47.thumb.jpeg.3732aefd38d2301c3fe5a9e50a2d4981.jpegThe MICHELIN Guide Nordic Countries 2021 Is Out!
Here is the list of  Michelin restaurants 2021 in Copenhagen and neighborhoods

Copenhagen:

Three stars Geranium, and Noma 

Two stars: AOC, Alchemist, Kadeau, and Kong Hans Kælder

One star: Alouette, Formel B, Kiin Kiin, Kokkeriet, and  Marchal

Neighborhoods

Two stars: Jordnær in Gentofte

One Star: Søllerød Kro in Holte. The Samuel in Hellerup and Dragsholm Slot Gourmet in Hørve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, Ombud said:

Help!!

I'm totally stumped. I will be coming in 2 days before the cruise and have no idea where to stay.  Which areas are better than others? I prefer mass transit so if it's less than 1000 meters to a transit stop that would be preferable as I will walk with a rolling suitcase

Thank you!! I haven't been there in over a decade and places change. I've booked both Hotel Victoria and Ascot Hotel but is that an okay area? Which would you cancel -- one or both and somewhere else?

Ok. Trips back after pandemic. I'm expecting / hoping for 2 nights before the cruise. I've got 2 hotels on hold:

1. Hotel Kong Frederik 1798DKR 

2. Profilhotel Mercur 1660DKR 

I'm assuming the rates are so low because I've reserved a year out and bookings are still slow. My questions are:

1. Public transit to get from airport to either

2. Farmers markets near either (vegetarian with allergies so markets are just easiest)

3. Suggested itinerary for 3 days.

It'll be my 3rd time there (month in 1970s, week in 2004). I'm seriously into people watching and I've been to Tivoli twice 

Thank you, stay safe / be well

Edited by Ombud

Torvehallerne

Fresh food market in Copenhagen, DenmarkClosed

Would be fantastic but site says closed, won't translate to English, so I can't tell if its an option. Looks to be in easy walking distance (under 1k)

Not in a hotel with kitchen (either Hotel Kong Frederik or Profilhotels Mercur). I'm solo so full scale restaurants aren't as enticing as street food. Torvehallerne looked perfect but I can't get their website to come up

Never been to a farmers market where either street food or ready made (difference is whether there's seating) is not available.  We have food trucks & food stalls here. Most European ones just have food stalls 

Edited by Ombud

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Public transit to get from airport to either

Both hotel close to Central station - direct train from CPH airports  - Mercur close to ‘Vesterport’ (S-train) and Frederick close to Metro station  ‘Rådhuspladsen’.

Torvehallerne - link: https://torvehallernekbh.dk. (In Danish language)
Another option is  Reffen - Refshalevej 167, 1432 København or 

Broens Gadekøkken Strandgade 95, 1401 København K.

For other options see topic:

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

@hallasmthose 3 options look so good!! Exactly what I'm looking for.I've got time to figure out how to get there on metro (Bart here), bus, or hop on hop off. I'm really big on public transit and appreciate that's showing possible 

Thank you!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I've got time to figure out how to get there on metro (Bart here), bus, or hop on hop off.

Google can assist.

Torvehallerne in walking distance - Reffen and Broen in the same area - consider to include the Harbour bus route 992 to Refshaleøen - today with electric ships as part of the public traffic system in Copenhagen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am booked on a cruise Sept 2022.  Planning to spend 3 nights in Copenhagen before boarding the ship.  Friends are staying at Scandic Palace.  I want to be able to meet up but don’t need to be at the same place.   I was looking at Copenhagen Strand as I like the idea of being near water.  I will take metro from the airport and hopefully to the ship. Unless the weather is bad, I am hoping to walk everywhere.

Is the Copenhagen Strand in a good area? 

thank you

@Baseball fanYes - Copenhagen Strand is in a very nice area - harbor side in the old part of Copenhagen and close to attractions.

Metro from CPH will require change at ‘Kongens Nytorv’ - going to the cruise terminal last metro station is ‘Orient Kaj’ - you’ll then need to take a bus the last two kilometers - currently limited bus service to the cruise terminal.

Edited by hallasm

On 10/4/2021 at 1:22 AM, Baseball fan said:

Unless the weather is bad, I am hoping to walk everywhere.

September in Denmark is a tricky one when it comes to the weather. This past September, we had days with very light clouds and nearing 20C, and other days with moderate rain throughout the day and 13-15C. So prepare for heavy shifts in the weather, even with one or two days, and check the local 7-day forecast before you leave the US, so you can be just a bit prepared for the "applicable version" of September.

Edited by mikkelhansen
  • Like 1