Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

I've booked 2 nights before the cruise at Hotel Kong Frederik 1798DKR, I like older hotels. Everything is so new here where I live plus it seems easy to get to from airport via public transit. Also easy to get to Torvehallern on transit. Which leads me to ->

The water taxi.  Can the same card be used for all transit or do I need 2? (Or 3?) If the water taxi needs a separate card / app on smartphone, how many 'zones' do I need? Is it a hop on - hop off deal?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some inspiration for good restaurants in Copenhagen 

- not necessarily the cheapest restaurants, but restaurants with good reviews - located in Copenhagen- some in the surrounding area:

The surrounding 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Here is some inspiration for good restaurants in Copenhagen 

- not necessarily the cheapest restaurants, but restaurants with good reviews - located in Copenhagen- some in the surrounding area:

I will want 1 really good dinner the day I arrive after a very long trip so off to Google these for how close to Hotel Kong Frederik and vegetarian options

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

vegetarian options

I do not know how many vegetarian options there are at these restaurants, but here are some vegetarian options:

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I will want 1 really good dinner the day I arrive after a very long trip so off to Google these for how close to Hotel Kong Frederik and vegetarian options

In my experience, I'm usually too tired to enjoy much on the day I arrive. For me at least, it would be better to save the really nice dinner for the next day. FWIW.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

In my experience, I'm usually too tired to enjoy much on the day I arrive. For me at least, it would be better to save the really nice dinner for the next day. FWIW.

Normally yes, but I get in at 11:30 am & will only eat once. Before I drop at 9 pm. Early drop. Then breakfast at hotel day 2 & 3, dinner at Reffen.dk day 2, and on ship day 3 after the latest boarding. I would add a few days to my cruise but already booked. Thinking 2 nights isn't enough. It's been a decade since I was there last. Planned wrong 

Edited by Ombud
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

Such a great thread. We are cruising from Copenhagen in June. The NCL ship departs from Ocean Quay. We will spend 2 night pre-cruise in the city center. We are looking at either Isbens Hotel or Absalon. Do you have any input on these hotels?  

Also:

Is there a train (or metro or other public transport) from the airport to the city center?

Is there public transport to the port?

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, pcrum said:

We are cruising from Copenhagen in June

Both hotels are centrally located - also in relation to public transport - ‘Absalon’ close to ‘Central Station’ (Central Station) and 'Ibsens Hotel' close to ‘Nørreport Station’. ‘Absalon’ is marginally better than ‘Ibsens’, but be aware that ‘Absalon’ is on the edge of the ‘Red Light District’ - however, the area is safe to walk.
There are trains / Metro to ‘Østerport Station’ and ‘Orientkaj’ respectively - from there bus to ‘Oceankaj’ (Cruise terminal) - out of season services are reduced.

5 hours ago, pcrum said:

Thank you so much. Is June considered “out of season”?

With one rolling bag each, is the metro easy to navigate?

June is not high season - school summer holiday is starting end July - July is where most Danes have their holiday

Metro is very easy to navigate -  Nørreport Station might be one of the most difficult stations.

What would be the easiest way, and the one with the least walking, to get from the airport to 71 Nyhavn Hotel? We will be pulling rolling suitcases, but my husband can't do much walking, nor would we want to do many stairs.  Should we take the train to Central Station and then just get a cab, or would the Metro to Kongens Nytorv be better?  Could we get a short cab ride from the latter (I see it's only an 800 meter walk, so I'll ask my husband if he could do it?)  We're used to public transportation, not a problem, but are the Metro stations accessible?  I.e., do they have lifts or escalators?

If all this seems too much we'll just take a cab.  Is it better to arrange a driver in advance?

Thanks so much.  It's looking more and more as if this trip will be a reality!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What would be the easiest way, and the one with the least walking,

I do not know why but Google Maps indicates a detour around Kgs Nytorv  - the actual walking distance from the metro station on Kgs Nytorv to Nyhavn 71 is 600 meters - a nice promenade along Nyhavn - possible rest at one of the many restaurants along the quay.
Of course possible by taxi but there is not immediately a Taxi stand at the metro station.  Metro stations are easy accessible by lift - they are all newly established with good facilities..

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 2:25 PM, gnome12 said:

However, I had no issue picking up the card at the airport as I arrived, and I immediately used it for the metro to my hotel

If you dont mind me asking which hotel did you use during that trip? Always nice to be able to just hop on the train and be dropped off in front of your hotel. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, hallasm said:

If you are in Copenhagen in the summer of 2022 and interested in the Danish Royal Families, there are two special exhibition that may be of interest to you.

Thank you so much for sharing this info.  We will be there 5 days and it will be great to see both of these. 

Copenhagen Hotel:  trying to decide which one?

My friend and I will be arriving in Copenhagen in late Aug for two nights prior to our B2B cruises.  We're looking at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel and the Comwell Copenhagen Portside.  My husband and I have previously visited Copenhagen (stayed at Scandic Palace and took the train from the airport).  My traveling friend has never been to any of the Baltics.  Looking for ideas, suggestions as to any advantage in staying one place versus the other.  Price isn't a problem; rather, looking for ease of transferring from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port (one-way) handling our luggage and good location for transportation for touring.  Prefer to book soon as we both have busy upcoming schedules and it'll be one more thing to check off our list.  Any thoughts you can share are very much appreciated!

3 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

If you dont mind me asking which hotel did you use during that trip? Always nice to be able to just hop on the train and be dropped off in front of your hotel. 

I was at the Bethel in Nyhavn. Drop off not quite in front of the hotel but very close. Actually, it was the metro to Kongens Nytorv. 

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 1:27 PM, hallasm said:

Of course possible by taxi but there is not immediately a Taxi stand at the metro station

Thanks.  Do you hail taxis in Copenhagen, or are there taxi stands?  That is, what's the easiest way to find a cab when you're out in the city.

35 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Do you hail taxis in Copenhagen, or are there taxi stands?

You might hail a taxi but it’s not possible for the taxi to stop at the Kgs Nytorv metro station - taxi might be available at the nearby Hotel d’Angleterre.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:05 AM, twocruisersok said:

Is there fast food or food stands/trucks?

Food trucks are not that common in Copenhagen - you can find one at ‘Kultorvet’.  Alternatively, there are hot dog stands that sell Danish style hot dogs in many places. But also try visiting the ‘Tivoli Food Hall’ an all-round food market at the corner of Tivoli opposite Central Station. Also  ‘Torvehallerne’ If you are looking for Danish delicacies or ‘Reffen’ an organic street food market.