Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

9 hours ago, Worldcruiser1983 said:

Do you have any information about a city tour with hotel pickup that would drop us at the Oceanqauy port?

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of excursions that start at the hotel and end at Oceankaj. With the information you provide it is also difficult to give some recommendations, but the best option is to see the main sights in the center and a canal boat tour -  and then take a  taxi from hotel to cruise terminal. Others might have some ideas. 

Hi just a quick question on the City Pass for anyone that has used them. We're in Copenhagen for two nights pre cruise.

I know the pass is purchased in multiples of 24 hours up to 120 hours, does the time start from first use, so if first used at 11am it will expire at 11am?

It seems obvious but the website isn't clear on this.

Thank you 

34 minutes ago, icsys said:

It seems obvious but the website isn't clear on this.

You are right, there is not much information on their web.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with City Pass, but I believe that validity takes effect when you buy your City Pass.  When you buy City Pass on the ‘DOT Tickets app’ or in a ticket vending machine at a train or metro station, you can simply buy your City Pass just before you start your journey - try downloading the ‘DOT Ticket App’ and see how it works.

You can pay with credit card in the ticket vending machine.

I just checked the App - City Pass is valid from the time of purchase.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 6:35 AM, Alsun said:

I had been thinking it would be really nice experience to sail under “The Bridge” and am wondering why it didn’t. 

I was hoping for the same thing.  To see the bridge from the ship if we didnt make it over the bridge to go to Sweden during our time in Copenhagen. 

1 minute ago, greatestvalue said:

I was hoping for the same thing.  To see the bridge from the ship if we didnt make it over the bridge to go to Sweden during our time in Copenhagen.

You’ll see the bridge when leaving Copenhagen -  bridge is 5 miles from the harbor. Might also see the bridge when landing in CPH - left side when landing.
if going to the Baltic you’ll also pass the Great Belt Bridge - likely late evening or during the night.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hallasm said:

You’ll see the bridge when leaving Copenhagen -  bridge is 5 miles from the harbor. Might also see the bridge when landing in CPH - left side when landing.
if going to the Baltic you’ll also pass the Great Belt Bridge - likely late evening or during the night.

44 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

We took the train to Sweden (to Lund) was a nice day trip, but I remember that you don’t see that much of the bridge itself whilst on the train! We stayed several days in Copenhagen and one day we climbed the round tower (it was more like a slope) and it was a great view out over Copenhagen incl The Bridge in the far distance!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What is the fascination with Tivoli Garden? 
from their website , I see no reason to visit it at all , 

🤔

It did nothing for me. If I didn’t have free entry with the Copenhagen Card, I wouldn’t have bothered. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

@gnome12 is right - I have not been there for several years - used to visit the restaurants. If Tivoli avoid Friday evening - very crowded and many young people (concerts).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

🤔

It is some kind of "old school amusement park" , one of the oldest in the world- tradtional, a little bit like a museum - with some new rides, some really good restaurants, nice plants and waterfountains. They still have a wooden rollercoaster from 1914.... the entrance fee is moderate (around 20 Euro per adult), because you have to pay extra for the rides. But many people come for the

I ve been there several times and I love the experience - it is nostalgic and lovely and especially in the evenings romantic

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of excursions that start at the hotel and end at Oceankaj. With the information you provide it is also difficult to give some recommendations, but the best option is to see the main sights in the center and a canal boat tour -  and then take a  taxi from hotel to cruise terminal. Others might have some ideas. 

Do you anything about taxa.dk? they have taxis and minibuses that I am seeing if would do that.

9 hours ago, Worldcruiser1983 said:

Do you anything about taxa.dk? they have taxis and minibuses that I am seeing if would do that.

I myself use taxa.dk as a taxi but do not immediately know their sightseeing tours. It seems to be a really good option and moderate prices - USD $ 400 for four people in a minibus - prices are including VAT and service charge.

Experience Copenhagen with your own private taxi guide

If you book with taxi.dk please provide a review.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

Hi.  My husband and I will be in Copenhagen at the end of July for a few days before a cruise to the Norwegian fjords.  We do not do well in the heat.  Do you know whether any museums in Copenhagen are air conditioned, and if so, which ones?  I have been unable to find the information online.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Do you know whether any museums in Copenhagen are air conditioned, and if so, which ones?

For a typical day in summer in Copenhagen, the temperature varies from an average maximum of 70° F (21° C) and a average low of 58° F (14° C) so air conditioning is usually not something we worry about.

As museums need to protect valuable and  irreplaceable exhibits a constant temperature is required - when we occasionally have hot days there will be air conditioning in museums to keep that constant temperature.

Some inspiration for museums: Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Thorvaldsen's museum, SMK - the state museum of art, New Carlsberg Glyptotek, Nationalmuseet - The National Museum of Denmark, Amalienborg Museum (Royal Castle), Rosenborg Castle, The David Collection, Frilandsmuseet - open Air museum.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

For a typical day in summer in Copenhagen, the temperature varies from an average maximum of 70° F (21° C) and a average low of 58° F (14° C) so air conditioning is usually not something we worry about.

As museums need to protect valuable and  irreplaceable exhibits a constant temperature is required - when we occasionally have hot days there will be air conditioning in museums to keep that constant temperature.

Some inspiration for museums: Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Thorvaldsen's museum, SMK - the state museum of art, New Carlsberg Glyptotek, Nationalmuseet - The National Museum of Denmark, Amalienborg Museum (Royal Castle), Rosenborg Castle, The David Collection, Frilandsmuseet - open Air museum.

Many thanks for your reply.  I must admit to still being concerned.  I've read a few reviews of the museums online, and see multiple mentions of how hot it is inside so as to be uncomfortable to be there, and to suggest that air conditioning is needed.  Are there any attractions (other than museums) that are air conditioned?  Otherwise I guess I'll have to hope for cool weather.  

52 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

I must admit to still being concerned.  I've read a few reviews of the museums online, and see multiple mentions of how hot it is inside so as to be uncomfortable to be there, and to suggest that air conditioning is needed.

What temperature do you expect when you write the air conditioning? 
As mentioned, here in Denmark due to the cold climate there is no focus on cooling rooms - the temperature is usually constant but may feel warm - maybe you will feel hot even though it is a cool day. I have no definitive answer to your question.

Also note that not all hotels have air condition.

2 minutes ago, hallasm said:

As mentioned, here in Denmark due to the cold climate there is no focus on cooling rooms - the temperature is usually constant but may feel warm - maybe you will feel hot even though it is a cool day. I have no definitive answer to your question.

Thanks.  I did make sure that the hotel we booked is air conditioned.  Appreciate your input.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Does anyone know if there is a free shuttle from Oceankaj metro to the terminal? 

There is no ‘Oceankaj metro’ - closest metro to Oceankaj Cruise terminal is ‘Orientkaj’

An no free shuttle - there is a public bus - either line 164, or 25 - please check  bus schedule for the same day as your cruise - same ticket for bus and metro.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hallasm said:

When I was there in June 2019 I found it was very breezy and did not notice stuffiness or unpleasant heat in the museums, however we did not go in the large museums.  We mainly did the more “boutique” ones such as the war museum, Jewish museum (very interesting regardless of religious denomination), and the canal boats (very good) .  I am fussy about heat and stuffiness but had no issue with these.

However i did find tivoli was hot from the cement, and the Copenhagen zoo was unbearable on a sunny day both due to smells and heat and lack of shade.

Edited by Happycrafter123

On 5/21/2022 at 11:18 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

🤔

I have no idea, it was dirty and worn out and dated when I was there, nothing to see or do apart from a very short pantomime theatre act, and the food was aweful—hotdogs mainly.  Save your money and go to an amusement park at home.

I think whether you like Tivoli or not depends on your expectations. Tivoli is in no way comparable to amusement parks like Disney, Universal or Six Flags. It is an old-fashioned park, nostalgic, with partly historic rides, in the middle of a big city. Many Danes visit Tivoli without riding a single ride - they go to one of the restaurants, walk around the park afterwards, watch the guards or attend one of the concerts at Tivoli - many are included in the price, some cost extra.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 6:17 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Does anyone know if there is a free shuttle from Oceankaj metro to the terminal? 

Hi.

The closest Metro station is Orientkaj and yes, there is a free shuttle from/to the station from the cruise terminal. This has been confirmed by current cruisers.

We're hoping to use it this coming week. But failing that, as Hallasm has said, there is the 164 and 25 bus to fall back on.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1