Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

2 hours ago, floridababa said:

So the city pass is better for Ho Ho and canal tour as things are free? Did I understand correctly?

You are backwards. The Copenhagen Card includes Canal tour. I’m not absolutely certain about HoHo. The city pass is just public transportation. 

15 hours ago, hal2008 said:

What is validity of single ticket on local transit within city (2 zones) (how many minutes)

Does you ticket have to be valid (time wise) for entire journey within zon1/2 or as far as you got on before it expired, it is ok.

A ticket for 2 zones is valid for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The last boarding must take place before the ticket expires.  The ticket must also be valid when the bus or train is scheduled to leave the stop or station.

I am attempting to figure out my transit zones for tickets. I find the areas difficult to read.

We will be staying at The Square which I believe is near Central Station so is this a 3 zone ticket or is the train different?

From there to take the metro to Orientkaj is this a 2 zone ticket?

9 hours ago, garden girl said:

I am attempting to figure out my transit zones for tickets

I also often have trouble figuring out the number of zones.

9 hours ago, garden girl said:

We will be staying at The Square which I believe is near Central Station so is this a 3 zone ticket or is the train different?

From there to take the metro to Orientkaj is this a 2 zone ticket?

Copenhagen airport (Lufthavnen) is in zone 4 and your hotel (Central Station) is zone 1 - you will travel in three zones - you must purchase a 3 zone ticket.

Your Hotel and Oceankaj are both Zone 1 however you can not purchase a 1 zone ticket - you need to purchase a 2 zone ticket.
Same price/tickets for bus, metro and train.

9D13853C-F90D-4A90-93D1-5C990CB10E56.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Hi Hallasm, 

I ve got a question. We tried to find the bus stop at orientkaj for the new free electric shuttle.  There are 2 ships at oceankaj, so it should running.  We were unable to find it. We found the temporary (lots of construction outside orientkaj metro) stop for no 164. No 25 was not written at the stop but seems to use the same stop. But no sign for the shuttle. 

We took the 164 to oceankaj and saw the sign for the cmp shuttle,  but no bus. 

Where does it stop at orientkaj? 

Thank you 

Edited by Wendy-Europe

10 minutes ago, Wendy-Europe said:

Where does it stop at orientkaj? 

I do not have that information - I only have information on the shuttle from CMP web - I might be at Orientkaj Metro tomorrow - will check.

Hopefully others who have managed to take the bus can answer the question.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

I do not have that information - I only have information on the shuttle from CMP web - I might be at Orientkaj Metro tomorrow - will check.

Hopefully others who have managed to take the bus can answer the question.

We even took the brochure at the port about the service,  but there was nothing like a map or description where to catch the bus....we had time and thought it would be easier to check everything without heavy suitcases

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 10:40 PM, IRMO12HD said:

@hallasmI will be in Copenhagen (hopefully!) for two full days before my cruise in September.  I'm not really a city person, although I do like history.  Could you recommend some day trips to parts of Denmark not often seen?  I am happy to travel via bus or train,  and will be staying (probably) in an AirBnB in Copenhagen so will hopefully get some tips from my hosts as well.  I love seeing the ocean/water, but would also like to explore inland.  Where would you go for a day trip (to a "country" type destination, as opposed to a city)?

@IRMO12HDwe just returned and spent about a week in copenhagen and surrounding areas.  three day trips out of copenhagen we enjoyed that are easy to get to by train and covered on the copenhagen card (that is the card that covers both your transit cost and your entry fees).  on the website for the copenhagen card under transportation it lists these and instructions on how to get there by transit:

- Roskilde

•     - the viking ship museum is very good IF you attend the walking tour (check website for times), otherwise might be boring.  the guide was amazing, the story and logistics of how they salvaged the ships is worth hearing about.  definitely worth attending, but do structure your day around the guided tour time
  •     - the Roskilde cathedral holds the crypts for kings going back to the 1500's and is actually very interesting
  •     - the Roskilde museum (half way walk between the viking ship museum and cathedral) has a lot of interactive listening pieces so you can see old paintings and then hear the story about them, it was surprisingly riveting.  There was an old school room set up with recordings of what the children's classes would have been like.  I really liked this museum
  • Situated in a harbour it has a loverly harbour area and is there is a hot dog/fish and chip stand and some cafes where you can get a bite and watch the ocean and marina area.  

Hillerod

• Frederiksborg Castle is by far the best castle I've visited.  Amazing sumptuous interiors.  They have a very high quality and well recorded audio guide you download on your phone via an app.  the download takes time but is well worth it.  In each room there is a number on the inside of the doorway and you can find a sound bite of 30 s to 3 m for each room describing the art / history etc related to the room.  very interesting, gripping history.  This castle is one of the least pillaged I've seen and is packed with lots of original furnishings and art.  the gardens are gorgeous.  So much history and beauty and amazing artwork here.  It was a highlight of our trip.

Helsingor

• Kronberg Castle has been pillaged over the years and does not have a lot of the original furnishings, it is somewhat barren.  the audio guide was glitchy and hard to get to work, with very little content.  However there are two different 1 hour walking tours each day, with about an hour gap in between for a picnic or to check out the dungeons.  one of the walking tours is general history and allusions to the references make to this castle by Shakespeare and the other is a behind the scenes tour and the guide unlocks various rooms and you go in the attics and the areas normally not open to visitors.  we got to go stand on one of the roof areas of the castle which had amazing views and was beautiful.  I would only go to this castle if I could coordinate my times to meet the scheduled (free) tours, as without them it would have been a bit boring.  the two tours made it worth the trip.
  • Thanks 4

I see some questions about the buses. To go to the cruise we took the train to Osterport Station.  Right across the street there is a bus stop.  We took bus 25 it took about 10-15 minutes and only 2 stops to get the the port.  The stop was about about half a block from the boat, about 100 feet.  Extremely easy to get there by transit. When we got back from the cruise we just caught the 25 on the other side of the street back to Osterport and then train to our accommodations.  it was covered by our Copenhagen Card.

Edited by Happycrafter123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

spent about a week in copenhagen and surrounding areas.

Doing the same in August, before a cruise, and we will be doing the same day trips.  My flight also changed, so get to spend an extra day in Copenhagen.  So we will fit Sweden in too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from our cruise.  We tried again to find the stop for the free shuttle between Orientkaj and Oceankaj.  

We saw the bus,  but the stop at Orientkaj was nowhere to be found.  Best guess: if you have a good view at the international school of copenhagen at Orientkaj,  there is  a "Kiss and drive" lane at the parking lot in front of the school , it seems like the bus stops there. 

We were told the frequency is every 30 minutes. 

Better choice: leave the Metro station,  passing Hotel cromwell.  At the parallel street to the train track is the temporary stop for bus A25 and 164 to Oceankaj. 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Wendy-Europe said:

We are back from our cruise.  We tried again to find the stop for the free shuttle between Orientkaj and Oceankaj.  

We saw the bus,  but the stop at Orientkaj was nowhere to be found.  Best guess: if you have a good view at the international school of copenhagen at Orientkaj,  there is  a "Kiss and drive" lane at the parking lot in front of the school , it seems like the bus stops there. 

We were told the frequency is every 30 minutes. 

Better choice: leave the Metro station,  passing Hotel cromwell.  At the parallel street to the train track is the temporary stop for bus A25 and 164 to Oceankaj. 

Is the free shuttle for all cruiselines or specific ship only? How do we identify the free shuttle?

Bus A25 and 164...how much and where can we buy the tickets? Thank you.

I would like to recommend

Copenhagen Luggage Service (https://www.copenhagenluggageservice.com/)

Online booking was smooth,  received immediately luggage tags to print yourself. Price was very reasonable. 

2 days before arrival we received additional informations about the procedure: you take whatever disembarkation tags you get,  attach them to your suitcases  and send via mail copenhagen luggage service color and number. Their baggage tag should be attached too. Place your suitcases out of your cabin. Thats all. You see them again at the airport or hotel.

We checked at the baggage hall at the cruiseport ( just to be sure) that all suitcases are placed together and tags are easy visible.

We received a message that our luggage was collected.  You get a meeting point at the airport,  if there is nobody at the office there is a telephone number and within 10 minutes somebody brought our suitcases.  Very very comfortable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Is the free shuttle for all cruiselines or specific ship only? How do we identify the free shuttle?

Bus A25 and 164...how much and where can we buy the tickets? Thank you.

The shuttle bus is operated by the CMP port and can be used by all guests.  Unfortunately I can not confirm the stop at Orientkaj Metro but as @Wendy-Europestates it is at ‘Copenhagen International School’ which is next to the harbor right by the metro station.

See post #365.

For public buses you can buy tickets on the bus - payment with coins.  However, it is possible to exchange coins in the bus, however, a maximum of DKK 100.
 If you have the option to pay with a mobile phone I would recommend the App or SMS ticket.

• Thanks 2

When I took the free shuttle the stop was Near the corner of haifagade and istanbulgade but a little closer to the water.  Where it looks like the metro is going to be extended.

3 hours ago, majmaj4 said:

When I took the free shuttle the stop was Near the corner of haifagade and istanbulgade but a little closer to the water.  Where it looks like the metro is going to be extended.

Thank you for confirming the shuttle bus stop - it is in the direction of ‘Copenhagen International School’ which can be seen from the metro station by the harbor.
There are no final decisions regarding the extension of the metro in the direction of the cruise terminals.  At best, it will happen around 2030.

99E3387A-28EC-4A4E-97B1-1F9D242D9EAF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tilly20 said:

Does the free shuttle drop off and pick up in the same place near to Orientkaj metro?  I’m hoping we’ll spot it at the ship dock easy enough?

Yes, should be easy to spot the but at terminals - running every 30 minutes. Drop off and pick up in the same place near to Orientkaj metro

- from Orientkaj you can also take the harbor bus to Nyhavn. 
If using the free shuttle but tickets must be purchased at the metro station or use App. Same tickets for Metro and Harbor bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Wendy-Europe said:

I would like to recommend

Copenhagen Luggage Service (https://www.copenhagenluggageservice.com/)

Online booking was smooth,  received immediately luggage tags to print yourself. Price was very reasonable. 

2 days before arrival we received additional informations about the procedure: you take whatever disembarkation tags you get,  attach them to your suitcases  and send via mail copenhagen luggage service color and number. Their baggage tag should be attached too. Place your suitcases out of your cabin. Thats all. You see them again at the airport or hotel.

We checked at the baggage hall at the cruiseport ( just to be sure) that all suitcases are placed together and tags are easy visible.

We received a message that our luggage was collected.  You get a meeting point at the airport,  if there is nobody at the office there is a telephone number and within 10 minutes somebody brought our suitcases.  Very very comfortable. 

You’re saying that this company can come into the baggage hall at the cruise port and take your suitcases out to either the airport or designated hotel?  That would really be useful especially if one wanted to take the train to the airport….no luggage hassles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they do. But don t expect anybody from staff standing around knowing about the company or their service.  

I decided to believe what the company promised since they had a good reputation and I was not disappointed.  I was very pleased to get their mail which informed me that our luggage was collected . So we knew that everything was perfect. 

And yes, it was very useful and the reason we booked this service. Our flight was in the evening and without luggage much more enjoyable. 

Edited by Wendy-Europe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1