Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

Hi, cruise docks at Ocean Quay/Kaj 330 

I’ve looked and it seems they have added a free shuttle this year from the Ocean Quay to the city centre. 

I can’t find a timetable for it anywhere. 

Boat leaves Copenhagen at 12pm after a night stay and was wondering if it’s possible to get up early around 5am to go see some more. Just seems difficult as the port is so far away and will need a shuttle/metro to get there. 

Do shuttles run at 4/5am in the morning? 

Also how late do shuttles run? Want to get back to the boat as late as possible on the full day I have prior. 

thank you for any help. 

26 minutes ago, Hey53737 said:

Hi, cruise docks at Ocean Quay/Kaj 330 

I’ve looked and it seems they have added a free shuttle this year from the Ocean Quay to the city centre. 

I'm sorry, but the information that is available so far about the free shuttle bus is very limited - there is no timetable and the time the offer runs is limited.  
The free Shuttle bus only runs to the nearest metro station 'Orientkaj' - from there metro to the city.  My suggestion is to use public bus transport - same price for metro + bus (DKK 24) cash or DOT Ticket App.  There is no bus at late night - latest bus atmidnight. Metro runs around the clock.  

Public bus 164 time table

Mandag - Fredag = weekday, - Lørdag = Saturday,  - Søn - og helligdage = Sundsy and Holidays.

Edited by hallasm

I saw so much to do we added another night fortunately I was able to still use miles the next day on BA.

As far as the castles Kronborg Fredricksborg - It looks like there is a tour that does them as well as roskilde.  but it's a long day.  If you had to pick one to see which would it be?

• Like 1

My vote for Fredericksburg Castle. 
Kronborg and Frederiksborg ar both Castles - Frederiksborg is more interesting inside - also a nice park. Next to Kronborg there is a Maritime Museum of Denmark.

Roskilde is Viking Ship museum and the Cathedral.

it’s easy to take the train from Copenhagen to either Hillerød for Frederiksborg Castle. Helsingør for Kronborg Castle or Roskilde.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

If you had to pick one to see which would it be?

For us, if it's the only thing we would be doing we wouldn't miss Roskilde. But our interest is the Vikings/Danish past life and we are very excited to see the Cathedral. 

Someone else shared in this forum and gave a fabulous outline of each of the places. I would encourage you to find that in the forum here, I think it will help with your choice. 

If you go on a Wednesday, they have the marketplace too. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Arrived in Copenhagen!

We were able to use a contactless credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) by tapping the card vs having to use a debit/credit card with a pin to buy a train ticket, via the ticket machines. 

All cards in Canada are tap up to about $100, I think the Costco card is $500 😁😁

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

All cards in Canada are tap up to about $100, I think the Costco card is $500 😁😁

I think during Covid most were upped to $250; I know that my TD Visa and PC Mastercard are both up to that amount. I'm not sure about my Home Trust Visa.

As we head out of Copenhagen on our cruise, I just can't say enough great things about Copenhagen and all the great information we got from this forum to make our  visit here, what it was. 

Special thanks to @hallasm for meeting up with us in person, and sharing even more insight not only about Copenhagen but about traveling the world. Appreciate turning acquaintances into friends. 

Safe travels everyone, and we look forward to paying it forward thru our travel experiences. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greatestvalue said:

Special thanks to @hallasm for meeting up with us in person, and sharing even more insight not only about Copenhagen but about traveling the world. Appreciate turning acquaintances into friends. 

you're welcome.  Encouraging to meet you in Nyhavn and exchange experiences.
I myself have used CC for the past 15 years when planning my cruises and am happy to be able to pay it back.  
Enjoy your 'Voyager' cruise and your future cruises.

• Like 2

@hallasm Big thanks for the information on the 164 bus route and the DOT Ticket App.👍

We will be arriving in Copenhagen towards the end of September on a Fred Olsen cruise. If FO want to charge a fortune for their shuttle bus service, we will hop on the 164 bus after buying tickets using the  DOT ticket App.

I read elsewhere that it is a reasonably pleasant walk back to the cruise terminal from the city centre. Would you recommend this to see more of the city, or is it best to catch a bus back?

I was looking into the Copenhagen Card - looks like it is good for all rail to Roskilde and Fredrickborg as well as admission to them most attractions in the city, boat tours and the busses and subway.  Like like a good deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lohr500 said:

I read elsewhere that it is a reasonably pleasant walk back to the cruise terminal from the city centre. Would you recommend this to see more of the city, or is it best to catch a bus back?

Do you know where your ship will dock?

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

I was looking into the Copenhagen Card - looks like it is good for all rail to Roskilde and Fredrickborg as well as admission to them most attractions in the city, boat tours and the busses and subway.  Like like a good deal.

Personally I have no experience with the Copenhagen Card - but  public transport to either Roskilde or Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle) is free with the Card.
The price for one way tricket to Roskilde is DKK 84 and one Way to Hillerød DKK 92.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hallasm said:

Do you know where your ship will dock?

I can't seem to find the information on the Copenhagen ports website. Fred Olsen Bolette, arriving and departing on the 25th September.

50 minutes ago, lohr500 said:

I can't seem to find the information on the Copenhagen ports website. Fred Olsen Bolette, arriving and departing on the 25th September.

Strange since CM Port info is usually pretty accurate.  Either Oceankaj or Langelinie.  
As there is no turnaround on 25 September, there is no free shuttle from Oceankaj.
It is fine to walk from Oceankaj terminal to Orientkaj metro - 3 km through small industrial area.  But also public bus 164.  Same price from Oceankaj and Orientkaj to the city center.

If time permits, it's a nice boat trip with the harbor bus from Orientkaj to Nyhavn - same tickets and price as bus and metro.

If docked at Langelinie, it is easy to walk along the waterfront to the center.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, feelingnauti said:

Any suggestions on transportation from the airport to 71 Nyhavn Hotel?  We will be arriving on September 2nd around 11am. 

Taxis are the best option - they are readily available at the airport. 

More info here.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:21 AM, lohr500 said:

As said earlier CMPort information usually is very accurate. I just noticed that  Fred Olsen previously has docked in Port of Hundested. Usually cruise line does call it Copenhagen despite docking in Hundested,  Kalundborg or Helsingør.

Hundested is located 35 miles from Copenhagen - an hour by car and two hours by public transport- each way. 
I couldn’t find any cruise arrival information for Port of Hundested.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 8:50 PM, Lonedaddy said:

looks like it is good for all rail to Roskilde and Fredrickborg as well as admission to them most attractions in the city, boat tours and the busses and subway. 

It was a great deal for all of those things, for us!! 

The tiny ferry at Fredericksburg Castle is also included but the entire narrative was in Danish only. But we still enjoyed the ride and view of the castle from the water way. 

• Like 1

Got off Voyager of the Seas, in Copenhagen, this morning. 

Regarding the Free Yellow Shuttle Bus...

Getting to the ship was no problem. It was crowded with a line however everyone was going over to the ship on their own time. 

Coming off the ship....a different story. 

The queue for the free shuttle at 8 am was at least, 300 people and wait time to get on was 1.5 hours. 

The spot is marked on the ground free shuttle bus. However some of the buses pulled up there, some did not. So it was pretty chaotic. 

Then once you got to the Metro station, there was another very long queue to buy the train tickets. Without people knowing how to use the ticket machines or how many zones they needed this was at least another hour. 

It took us 2.5 hours to get from the ship to Kobenhavn H using the free shuttle and train, standing in the queue for both of the above mentioned. 

If going to airport, add additional time to switch trains and continue on. 

Therefore, I would recommend if you have an early to mid-day flight, you skip this mode of transportation and either walk to the train station (which is a long walk) and have your train ticket already purchase thru the DOT app. 

Or take a taxi (pre+scheduled) to the airport. 

If in no hurry, no flight than no issue with the free shuttle and/or train. 

I would still recommend purchasing your train ticket prior, while your on the ship or just getting off. 

People were able to catch a taxi without an appointment.

However most taxi's at the port we're scheduled by people ahead of time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Got off Voyager of the Seas, in Copenhagen, this morning. 

@greatestvalue Thank you for comprehensive update.

Probably the public buses 25 or 164 are a better choice - price for city and to airport is the same as from the Orientkaj Metrostation - only problem is that  purchase of tickets in the bus is either cash or the DOT Ticket App.

Enjoy your day in Copenhagen and safe travel back to California.

• Like 1