Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

7 hours ago, musiclovingmom said:

What hotels are close to the cruise terminals?

Comwell Copenhagen Portside next to Orientkaj metro - you’ll still need a bus (164) or a taxi -  3 km to Oceankaj terminals.

I must say the taxi drivers were underwhelming .  Took 20 minutes for a taxi to arrive and we were first in a line of 20 groups.  You would think they would know the cruise schedules.  Bring back Uber !  Even the local that was helping to people said they miss Uber. 

We have had magnificent weather and the Copenhagen card is great.  hallasam you were right, our plans were ambitious but we enjoyed Rosenborg the canal boats and ruins under the castle the first day with plenty of stops for a carlsborg drafts and lunch along the route.  Took the train to Roskilde today and it was a magnificent town ship museum, Kirke(amazing like Westminster) and the museum with time for a nice beer and tartar at the brew house on the pedestrian zone.  Train was fine on way back with a couple of carlsborg sent route (much cheaper at the 7 eleven)

thanks for the tips 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I must say the taxi drivers were underwhelming .  Took 20 minutes for a taxi to arrive and we were first in a line of 20 groups.  You would think they would know the cruise schedules.  Bring back Uber !  Even the local that was helping to people said they miss Uber. 

I did find the most of the taxi companies such as DAN taxi have apps which function similar to Uber and I used to pre book airport transport.  Would have been a good tool to have getting off ship.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:40 AM, hallasm said:

I have no specific knowledge of HAL service, but I have often seen representatives from cruise lines standing at the entrance to baggage claim at the airport.
For specific HAL questions you can post in the Roll Call for your specific cruise or in the HAL Forum - you can also contact HAL directly.

Thanks for the info ..

On 5/25/2023 at 3:16 PM, hallasm said:

You’re welcome.  Yes, this is a reputable taxi company. Remember that all prices in Denmark include tips - only if the driver makes an extra effort, you can give a small amount as an appreciation.

Thanks again Hallasm we used this company and had a great tour with a very knowledgeable and safe driver 

• Thanks 1

24 hours in Copenhagen.

So my sister and I will have only 24 hours in Copenhagen prior to our cruise. What would be the best area/hotel to stay to be in good proximity to some of the city's highlights? We are not kids so extensive walking is not an option but it would be nice to have one or two options for visiting from our hotel.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

24 hours in Copenhagen.

So my sister and I will have only 24 hours in Copenhagen prior to our cruise. What would be the best area/hotel to stay to be in good proximity to some of the city's highlights? We are not kids so extensive walking is not an option but it would be nice to have one or two options for visiting from our hotel.

Thanks!

We have stayed at the Hotel Astoria many times. Nothing fancy, by the train station, convenient to the train to the airport, Tivoli, Radhuset Plaza, Stroget ( Walking Street), good restaurants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

What would be the best area/hotel to stay to be in good proximity to some of the city's highlights?

Most attractions in the area around Kongens Nytorv, but in general Copenhagen is very urban, very walkable and short distances away.

Meny has mentioned Hotel Bethel in Nyhavn.

There is hotel inspiration in this topic:

• Like 1

We will be arriving at airport the day before our cruise and staying in an AirBnB near Sjaelor station.  The next day we are planning on using public transportation to the cruise terminal at Ocean Quay (Pier 330).  Can you suggest the best way to get from Airport to Sjaelor and then from Sjaelor to our Cruise terminal.  Also how is the best way to purchase tickets?

Finally at the conclusion of our cruise we will be staying at Scandic Norreport.  How is best way to get to our hotel and to purchase tickets for transportation.  Two days later we will be going back to the airport.

44 minutes ago, Tall Charlie said:

Can you suggest the best way to get from Airport to Sjaelor and then from Sjaelor to our Cruise terminal.  Also how is the best way to purchase tickets?

On arrival, the easiest thing is to take a regional train from CPH to Hovedbanegården (Central Station) and from there S-train line A (tracks 11-12 towards Køge) to Sjælør. Tickets are bought from ticket machines at the airport - three zones for DKK 30. It takes about 30 minutes.
From Sjælør to Oceankaj terminal, take the S-train line A to Hellerup station and from there bus 164 to Oceankaj. Tickets are bought from the ticket machine at the station - two zones DKK 24. It takes about 50 minutes.
After the cruise, it is easiest to take bus 164 to Hellerup station and from there S-train to Nørreport station. Likewise, two zones - tickets can be bought on the bus (cash only) or at a kiosk - expect a long queue. If possible, I can recommend the DOT ticket app for buying tickets - this requires data roaming, however.

Thank you for your quick, helpful response.

When you take bus 164 to Oceankaj are you at the terminal or do you have to take something else to get from Oceankaj to the terminal?  To buy tickets at Oceankaj on bus 164 to Norreport Station, do you have to have exact amount of DKK 24?

13 minutes ago, Tall Charlie said:

When you take bus 164 to Oceankaj are you at the terminal or do you have to take something else to get from Oceankaj to the terminal?  To buy tickets at Oceankaj on bus 164 to Norreport Station, do you have to have exact amount of DKK 24?

Depends on which terminal - the bus stop is close to terminal 1 - from there about 700 meters to terminal 3.
You can also pay with DKK 50 or DKK 100 notes - exact payment is not necessary.

52 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Depends on which terminal - the bus stop is close to terminal 1 - from there about 700 meters to terminal 3.
You can also pay with DKK 50 or DKK 100 notes - exact payment is not necessary.

good information, thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good information, leaving for the airport in a couple of hours & will be in Copenhagen tomorrow morning. Looking forward to our two days pre cruise to enjoy the city.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

Thanks for all the good information, leaving for the airport in a couple of hours & will be in Copenhagen tomorrow morning. Looking forward to our two days pre cruise to enjoy the city.

Safe travel and enjoy Copenhagen.

@hallasm How long do you suggest for a minimum connection time in Copenhagen? I'm researching my flight options from Toronto to Oslo for next summer, and one option has a 1hr 40m connection in Copenhagen. Is it doable, and if so, how stressful would it be. I'm hoping to do this business class using points, so I am only looking at Star Alliance flights. (There are lots of other options as well.) Thanks for your help.

38 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

How long do you suggest for a minimum connection time in Copenhagen? I'm researching my flight options from Toronto to Oslo for next summer, and one option has a 1hr 40m connection in Copenhagen.

CPH is a very small airport - airside only one terminal - 1hr 40m will not be stressful at all - besides passport control no additional security checks before the departure gate.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So @hallasm, I have a question about trains in Copenhagen area. I'm thinking of going to Copenhagen in January for a two day music event in Roskilde. How frequent are the trains between Copenhagen H and Roskilde and the opposite direction late at night (like 23.30) Friday and Saturday evening in mid January and how is the reliability? Dont want to get stuck in Roskilde since I plan to stay in Copenhagen. Anything else that would be of importance to know? Need something to do on Saturday as well during the day (preferable indoors).Nothing is booked yet though. 

8 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

I have a question about trains in Copenhagen area

Train from Copenhagen H to Roskilde is 30 minutes - Price DKK 66 (8 zones) one way.

Train every 20 minutes - also late evening - a train every hour aften 1 am. 
Train service between Copenhagen and Roskilde is very reliable. Ticket vending machines at the stations - credit card accepted.

14 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

Need something to do on Saturday as well during the day (preferable indoors).

Many museums - any specific interest? Once you start detail planning post your date (Guessing 12 and 13 January) as well as interests.

• Like 1

We are leaving soon for Copenhagen, we will be spending one night at Copenhagen Island Hotel before our cruise leaves.  Our plan is to go to Tivoli on Tues evening.  With overseas flight/time difference - our plan right now is to go to the hotel when we arrive and get some rest to have more energy for when we go to Tivoli.  We don't have plans to do anything of a tourist nature on the Wed morning, just have breakfast and explore near the hotel, then leave for the ship.  We'll be back in Copenhagen one week later and will explore the city more at that time.   My plan is to just pay for transit from the airport to the hotel, and next day from hotel to cruise ship port.  I was contemplating the Copenhagen Card for 24hr for ease of use (2 adults, 1 child) for transit/admission to Tivoli, since we will be in Copenhagen for 24hr pre-cruise, but am fairly certain it will cost more that way than just paying each time without the card.  The pass is meant more if you go see multiple attractions.  Appreciate any advice on this - thanks!

1 hour ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Appreciate any advice on this - thanks!

I am not an expert in Copenhagen Card pricing - but you can compare the price with the actual prices - I assume transfer by train.
Transfer CPH to Hotel - Adult DKK 30 / child DKK 15 (12 - 15 years) - (3 zones)
Transfer Hotel to Cruise terminal - Adult DKK 24 / child DKK 12 (2 zones)
Tivoli - adult (8+ years) DKK 155 and children from 3 to 7 years DKK 70.

Distance to Tivoli is 1.5 km.

If you take the train, it's a long walk from Copenhagen Central to your hotel - you can take the S-train from Central Station to Dybbølbro station (500 m to hotel) Same ticket for all trains and busses.

The hotel is a bit isolated by the waterfront, but a walk along the waterfront is highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, hallasm said:

Train from Copenhagen H to Roskilde is 30 minutes - Price DKK 66 (8 zones) one way.

Train every 20 minutes - also late evening - a train every hour aften 1 am. 
Train service between Copenhagen and Roskilde is very reliable. Ticket vending machines at the stations - credit card accepted.

Many museums - any specific interest? Once you start detail planning post your date (Guessing 12 and 13 January) as well as interests.

I will be arriving by train on Friday afternoon (don't exactly when since SJ hasn't released the tickets for the winter yet), but probably around 12.00 sometime and leave Sunday afternoon (it's a two night event and starts at 15.00). Plan is to drop off suit case at hotel, grab some food and head to Roskilde.

Have starting to look at hotels, but almost every hotel in vicinity of the central seems to have very mixed reviews. However I am currently leaning towards Villa Copenhagen. Opinion?

Needs to be close to the station.

As for museums, I was thinking Museum of Copenhagen and The Danish War Museum.
Probably only have time to do one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Also need to sort out lunch for all three days. Event is at Gimle - Tanken, seems to be a café at the arena. Not sure if food is available during the festival concerts.

Villa Copenhagen is an outstanding hotel - after you have dropped luggage at hotel I suggest lunch Tivoli Food Hall (outside Tivoli Garden - No entrance fee)  almost across the street from the hotel - just opposite Copenhagen Central.

regarding museums - two very different options - my favorite is the Danish War Museum.
At Gimle there is Restaurant the Raven link to menu card. Expect at least 45 for transport from Central Station to Gimle

Enjoy Copenhagen and Roskilde.

Edited by hallasm