Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

On 4/4/2023 at 5:24 AM, davekent said:

Apart from a pleasant stroll through the city, prior to everything opening up we did enjoy the harbour bus (boat) as a comfortable and bustling way to pass 30 minutes zig zagging across the waterway with a number of points of interest on the way. Also the Museum of Copenhagen though not as dramatic as either the National or Glyptoteket museums opened at 9:00 and was an interesting way of spending some time prior to moving on to the bigger attractions

Thank you.  My friend’s sister lives there and will be taking us around for our sort of half day.  I just didn’t want to bother her at the crack of Dawn but she seems really eager to help us out, and lives close to the port.

Any suggestions for a nice gift to bring to thank her for her hospitality?

6 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Only a tourist like yourself I'm afraid so no idea on this one. Perhaps a local such as Hallasm may be able to help with anything particularly difficult to get or expensive in Denmark? Or possibly something  very specific to where you come from may be appreciated?

• Host Carolyn changed the title to Wonderful Copenhagen 2023
On 4/6/2023 at 5:43 AM, Sujormik said:

What makes a nice gift is very individual.  in Denmark, wine is often given as thanks for help.  The most obvious is to ask your friend.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we’ll be in port June 8 at 1:30pm until June 9 at 3pm. We dock at Oceankaj so it’s going to be an effort to get into the centre of town. As far as I’ve found, they may offer free shuttles to Orientkaj and then we’re on our own.  

The Hop On Hop Off bus is out of the question because it only runs 10-5. I’m trying to find a link for transportation and hours of operation as I hope to return to the ship later in the evening on the 8th and be up and out again earlier morning on the 9th.

I’m also wondering if there is water transportation from the Refshaleoen side over to Oceankaj instead of having to take the long way around on land.

1 hour ago, Kit1972 said:

As far as I’ve found, they may offer free shuttles to Orientkaj and then we’re on our ow

I don't actually know if the free shuttle bus runs here in 2023, but it's actually the same price to take public transport including Oceankaj to Orientkaj and the Metro into the centre. Price is DKK 25 for two zones.

It’s the same tickets for bus, metro, train and harbour/ water bus. Tickets for bus/metro can be bought in the kiosks at Orientkaj close to bus stop or in ticket vending machines at stations. Credit card can be used.
If you have a phone with a data plan, the DOT ticket App or SMS tickets are also good options. Tickets can also be bought for cash on buses. Copenhagen card can also be used 
Here are links to bus timetables from Oceankaj to Orientkaj:

bus 164 and bus 25.- bus 164 will run until midnight.

Look at “mandag - fredag” (Weekday) table.

1 hour ago, Kit1972 said:

I’m also wondering if there is water transportation from the Refshaleoen side over to Oceankaj instead of having to take the long way around on land.

Yes, it is possible to take the harbor/water bus 992 from Refshaleøen to Orientkaj - 14 minutes- here is the  992 schedule and opposite direction (991).

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I don't actually know if the free shuttle bus runs here in 2023, but it's actually the same price to take public transport including Oceankaj to Orientkaj and the Metro into the centre. Price is DKK 25 for two zones.

It’s the same tickets for bus, metro, train and harbour/ water bus. Tickets for bus/metro can be bought in the kiosks at Orientkaj close to bus stop or in ticket vending machines at stations. Credit card can be used.
If you have a phone with a data plan, the DOT ticket App or SMS tickets are also good options. Tickets can also be bought for cash on buses. Copenhagen card can also be used 
Here are links to bus timetables from Oceankaj to Orientkaj:

bus 164 and bus 25.- bus 164 will run until midnight.

Look at “mandag - fredag” (Weekday) table.

Yes, it is possible to take the harbor/water bus 992 from Refshaleøen to Orientkaj - 14 minutes- here is the  992 schedule and opposite direction (991).

Thank you so much for all of this information!  🥰   It’s the one drawback of cursing, rushing around on a timetable. Appreciate all of the links!  🏆 

20 minutes ago, Kit1972 said:

It’s the one drawback of cursing, rushing around on a timetable.

It's not so bad - the buses run every 20 minutes and the harbor bus every half an hour - but of course you have to know the time of the last bus - the alternative is a taxi.

Enjoy Copenhagen.

5 minutes ago, hallasm said:

It's not so bad - the buses run every 20 minutes and the harbor bus every half an hour - but of course you have to know the time of the last bus - the alternative is a taxi.

Enjoy Copenhagen.

Those are pretty convenient times. Don’t plan to be out too late but would like to enjoy the later sunset time in the city than we get at home. Again thank you! 

Bus 25 (the one that only runs when the cruise ships are in port) only runs between Orientkaj metro station and Oceankaj. 

Before it did run all the way to Nørreport in the downtown area.

But fear not, M4 will stop at all the major sites.

164 is not thst useful either as it does a detour round Copenhagen after exiting the port area.

The only stations that it stops at besides Orientkaj is Hellerup, Vangede and Ballerup. (So not that useful)

The bus stop is located on Sundkrogsgade next to Østre Landsret and Comwell Copenhagen Portside Dolce by Wyndham (what a name 🙂

So 2 buildings are seperating the metro station and the bus stop. 

164 runs every 20th minute or so and 25 every 10th minute. 

Our ship (SIlver dawn) arrives at 7 am June 14th.  I'm assuming we can be off the ship and catch a cab between 830 and 9 am to the villa Copenhagen hotel dump our luggage and go see some things. 

My goal is to see Rosenborg, Amalienborg and Christiansborg on the 14th.  Is that possible to do in one day?  I am prebooking the ticket to Rosenborg for 1030 am. 

We are staying 3 nights june 15th we are going to Roskilde and the 16th to Hillerod via train so we have some afternoon time those days tivoli on the 16th in the afternoon and eating there for the light show.  We have the Copenhagen card with the rail.  

33 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Our ship (SIlver dawn) arrives at 7 am June 14th.  I'm assuming we can be off the ship and catch a cab between 830 and 9 am to the villa Copenhagen hotel dump our luggage and go see some things. 

My goal is to see Rosenborg, Amalienborg and Christiansborg on the 14th.  Is that possible to do in one day?  I am prebooking the ticket to Rosenborg for 1030 am. 

We are staying 3 nights june 15th we are going to Roskilde and the 16th to Hillerod via train so we have some afternoon time those days tivoli on the 16th in the afternoon and eating there for the light show.  We have the Copenhagen card with the rail.  

All three castles in one day may be a bit much, depending on your interests. The jewels in Rosenberg could take hours. Read up on the castles and then decide. In  Roskilde, both the Viking Ship museum and the castle are worth your time. I also enjoy walking the street between the train station(via some side streets) and the castle. In Helsingborg,  Kronborg is a long walk from the train station, but a pretty one part by the water. If you like modern art, you might want to get off the train at Humlebaek and check out the amazing Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. Then return to the train station and catch the next train to Helsingborg and Kronborg Castle. ( Trains run frequently and you have the Copenhagen Card.)  You have a very ambitious plan, but if you have the stamina, it could work! Good luck! Enjoy!

53 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

My goal is to see Rosenborg, Amalienborg and Christiansborg on the 14th.  Is that possible to do in one day? 

I agree with @janetcbl - the three castles on the same day might be too much - prioritize Rosenborg. Instead, maybe the guard change at Amalienborg and a canal cruise.

Just few comments to @janetcbl -

No Castle in Roskilde - it’s Roskilde Cathedral in addition to the Viking Museum.

The castles are either ‘Fredensborg’ in Hillerød or ‘Kronborg’ in Helsingør.

Also Helsingborg is in Sweden - Kronborg castle is in Helsingør, not Helsingborg.

Louisiana Museum of Modern Art is a good suggestion.

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

villa Copenhagen hotel

Good choice of hotel close to Tivoli.

20 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

All three castles in one day may be a bit much, depending on your interests. The jewels in Rosenberg could take hours. Read up on the castles and then decide. In  Roskilde, both the Viking Ship museum and the castle are worth your time. I also enjoy walking the street between the train station(via some side streets) and the castle. In Helsingborg,  Kronborg is a long walk from the train station, but a pretty one part by the water. If you like modern art, you might want to get off the train at Humlebaek and check out the amazing Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. Then return to the train station and catch the next train to Helsingborg and Kronborg Castle. ( Trains run frequently and you have the Copenhagen Card.)  You have a very ambitious plan, but if you have the stamina, it could work! Good luck! Enjoy!

Sounds good thanks.  If we don't get to chritiansborg the first day we can try in the afternoon on one of the others as we will probably be back by 3 or so each day.  might opt for one of the canal tours on the 14th.

1 minute ago, hallasm said:

I agree with @janetcbl - the three castles on the same day might be too much - prioritize Rosenborg. Instead, maybe the guard change at Amalienborg and a canal cruise.

No Castle in Roskilde - it’s Roskilde Cathedral in addition to the Viking Museum.

Also Helsingborg is in Sweden - Kronborg castle is in Helsingør, not Helsingborg.

Agree on the canal cruise day 1.  really aren't going for rides at Tivoli just the atmosphere and food and see the lights.    Taking the train to Stockholm on the 17th figure some nap time there.

3 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

really aren't going for rides at Tivoli just the atmosphere and food and see the lights. 

Many, many years since I have tried a ride in Tivoli. You should reserve a table in the evening in Tivoli - might be busy in weekends.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Many, many years since I have tried a ride in Tivoli. You should reserve a table in the evening in Tivoli - might be busy in weekends.

Good call - they have a Friday concert and garden party every Friday!  I booked Færgekroen Bryghus.  Usually, can't go wrong at brew house.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hallasm said:

You are correct…was thinking of Fredericksburg Castle in Hillerod. And Helsingborg is in Sweden, across the Kattegat from Helsingor (Denmark)….I thought Fredensborg Castle was in Fredensborg, Denmark. It has been awhile…..Gettin hopelessly confused….

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

.I thought Fredensborg Castle was in Fredensborg, Denmark. It has been awhile…..Gettin hopelessly confused

I was a bit confused as well  - You’re correct - Fredensborg Castle is in Fredensborg -   Frederiksborg Castle is in Hillerød. Hope we got everything right by now. 
wery similar names makes it more difficult.🙃

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

I was a bit confused as well  - You’re correct - Fredensborg Castle is in Fredensborg -   Frederiksborg Castle is in Hillerød. Hope we got everything right by now. 
wery similar names makes it more difficult.🙃

😁

• Thanks 1

I have browsed through this thread and the information is awesome!  Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen in June for 2 nights before our cruise.  There will be 5 of us - 4 adults and a 7.5 year old.  Aside from Tivoli, is there anything anyone would absolutely recommend for kids this age?

Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and then to the ship?  We will be at The Square Hotel and then sailing on the Norwegian Dawn.

Thanks for all your help!

56 minutes ago, The Chandlers said:

Aside from Tivoli, is there anything anyone would absolutely recommend for kids this age?

Maybe the guard change at The Royal Palace (Amalienborg) - an option might also be Go Boat - be your own captain.

58 minutes ago, The Chandlers said:

Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and then to the ship?

Best way is by taxi. 
Alternative is train from airport to Copenhagen Central or or Metro M2+M3/M4 to Rådhuspladsen (Town Hall Square).
Public transport to Cruise Terminal at Oceankaj is Metro M4 to Orientkaj and bus 25 or 164 to the terminal.

22 hours ago, hallasm said:

Maybe the guard change at The Royal Palace (Amalienborg) - an option might also be Go Boat - be your own captain.

Best way is by taxi. 
Alternative is train from airport to Copenhagen Central or or Metro M2+M3/M4 to Rådhuspladsen (Town Hall Square).
Public transport to Cruise Terminal at Oceankaj is Metro M4 to Orientkaj and bus 25 or 164 to the terminal.

Thank you!  🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess they are working on the SJ train tracks when we are there so a 5 hr. trip to go to Stockholm turns into 8 plus hrs. to go to Stockholm with changes.     So, we are going to fly instead.  That said how long is the ride to CPH airport on a Saturday morning, what is the taxi fare and how early to arrive for an 11:45 am flight to Stockholm.

Thanks