Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

50 minutes ago, JollyFish said:

If I get the DOT Billetter app on my iPhone, may I buy a Copenhagen 24-hour pass good for airport to city and inner city (up to Oceankaj) transportation for multiple persons if we always move together?

Yes, purchase a DOT ‘City Pass Small’ - you need to have data roaming on your phone (or an EU Sim-card). 
Note that the 24 hour period starts immediately after purchase in the app.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In reading  my guide book for Denmark, I came across an entry about Skt Hans Aftern June 23, longest evening celebrations. We will be in Copenhagen staying at SKTPetri hotel .

Any suggestion suggestions about  celebrating this longest evening of the year? 

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Any suggestion suggestions about  celebrating this longest evening of the year? 

Every year on June 23, we celebrate Sankthans with a bonfire, sing midsummer carols, bonfire speeches and send the witch to Bloksbjerg (Mountain in Germany -  Brocken)

Sankthans is an old remnant of pagan customs, where the longest day of the year, the summer solstice, was celebrated.

There are many private and public Saint Hans events with bonfires - including at Bryggen, Refshaleøen, Ofelia Plads, Nyhavn and Frederiksberg Have.

I would suggest that you return at the beginning of June - then I can make a current list of events. Also post your hotel. 

Examples of public events in Copenhagen 2022

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

I know there has been a lot of discussion about hotels, and I have searched and read the topics on here. I have also spent a lot of time on Tripadvisor searching and reading reviews.

We need a triple room for one night after our cruise in August 2023. Preferably 3 separate beds, and reasonable price of around $300 USD. We will be taking a taxi (or a private tour with hotel drop off) from the ship to the hotel. We are travelling with our elderly mother who can walk well but not super long distances. We would like to be able to walk to a good restaurant, and maybe walk around a bit in the evening. So far we have found The Best Western Hebron and the NH Collection. 

Any thoughts on these 2 hotels, and also ideas for others that definitely have triple rooms? It has been tiring searching for hotels with triple rooms!

Thank you in advance!

7 hours ago, anadi said:

Any thoughts on these 2 hotels, and also ideas for others that definitely have triple rooms?

I have no immediate knowledge of hotels with three bed rooms.  One option is to search on hotels.com or booking.com.  
Best Western Hebron is close to restaurants, but on the edge of the 'Red Light District' - however the area is safe to walk in. NH Collection is a bit secluded by the harbor - a bit far from the center and restaurants.

Thank you hallasm. Yes, just 3 beds, not 3 separate rooms. I like the walkabiity of the Hebron, but like the NH Collection better. Decisions, decisions!

We are also looking for a guide who would pick us up at the port, and drive us around touring for several hours. So that is my next search!

1 hour ago, anadi said:

Thank you hallasm. Yes, just 3 beds, not 3 separate rooms. I like the walkabiity of the Hebron, but like the NH Collection better. Decisions, decisions!

We are also looking for a guide who would pick us up at the port, and drive us around touring for several hours. So that is my next search!

I have never heard of a hotel room anywhere that had 3 beds. I have seen 2 beds plus bring in a rollaway cot but never 3 beds. (I don't know about Denmark, but finding rooms with 2 beds in France and Germany wasn't easy; I spent a number of nights on my last trip sharing a bed with my sister.)

Edited by gnome12

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I have never heard of a hotel room anywhere that had 3 beds. I have seen 2 beds plus bring in a rollaway cot but never 3 beds. (I don't know about Denmark, but finding rooms with 2 beds in France and Germany wasn't easy; I spent a number of nights on my last trip sharing a bed with my sister.)

There are definitely some, usually it is a king or double split into 2 twin beds plus a sofa bed. Just hard to find without checking each hotel individually. I have checked a lot of them!

On 2/16/2023 at 7:25 PM, anadi said:

There are definitely some, usually it is a king or double split into 2 twin beds plus a sofa bed. Just hard to find without checking each hotel individually. I have checked a lot of them!

Correct. Many hotels in Copenhagen has two separate beds in double rooms - and some three. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have another Copenhagen question. Since we are traveling with my elderly mother, I have determined that walking around for any distance will be impossible. She is very unsteady and slow on uneven surfaces. I am looking for  some type of tour/guide that will drive from place to place, combined with a bit of walking around.
I have been searching tours that are in cars/buses and they seem quite expensive for a few hours. I considered the hop on/hop off buses, but am unclear as to where you need to start - can you begin anywhere they stop, or is there a "beginning" point where you must board first? Our hotel is near Tivoli, so we could walk that far. 

I have also seen rickshaw/pedicab tours. Has anyone done one of these? Most I can find on the internet seem to only seat 2, and we are 3 small adults. 
Thank you for your help!

3 hours ago, anadi said:

I am looking for  some type of tour/guide that will drive from place to place, combined with a bit of walking around.

Please note that Copenhagen in general is very expensive but tips and TAX is always included in the price - no additional tips for taxi, guides or at restaurant.

There are options for private tours - just an example 
 Sightseeing taxi

3 hours ago, anadi said:

I considered the hop on/hop off buses, but am unclear as to where you need to start - can you begin anywhere they stop, or is there a "beginning" point where you must board first? Our hotel is near Tivoli, so we could walk that far.

You can begin everywhere - tickets can be purchased online. 

3 hours ago, anadi said:

I have also seen rickshaw/pedicab tours. Has anyone done one of these? Most I can find on the internet seem to only seat 2, and we are 3 small adults. 
Thank you for your help!

possible to book a rickshaw for three - just one example of a provider

cykektaxa Tour

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, milolii said:

Hello, thanks for all the great information.

My question:  US citizens coming from Paris to Copenhagen, with 3 hour layover in Helsinki.  Is there a passport checkpoint for us?

ty 

all are Schengen countries so should be treated as domestic EU.   You should do the passport clearance in Paris or where you arrived in Schengen zone.

25 minutes ago, milolii said:

My question:  US citizens coming from Paris to Copenhagen, with 3 hour layover in Helsinki.  Is there a passport checkpoint for us?

Paris, Helsinki and Copenhagen all in Schengen - no passport control. A bit of a detour from Paris via Helsinki to Copenhagen with a 3 hour layover in Helsinki.
It is much shorter from CDG to CPH than from CDG to HEL.

Edited by hallasm

5 minutes ago, milolii said:

Tickets are with on Finnair are with very few AA miles, so basically free.

It will be more than 7 hours  in total via HEL  compared with 1h30m direct CDG to CPH - in addition to AF you have SAS, EasyJet and Norwegian Air.
Just make sure to book a ticket including luggage.

It is incredible that a visit to Copenhagen does not last longer.  Yes, very few are open at 8, but the vast majority of shops and activities open at 10.
Any special interest? Do you know where the ship dock?

Hi, our cruise disembarks in Copenhagen at 7am and we don't fly out until 3pm. Where can we stash our luggage before we're ready to head to the airport after lunch.  And how much in advance should we arrive at the airport to fly to the UK?

11 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Hi, our cruise disembarks in Copenhagen at 7am and we don't fly out until 3pm. Where can we stash our luggage before we're ready to head to the airport after lunch.  And how much in advance should we arrive at the airport to fly to the UK?

You can use luggagehero or luggage boxes at Copenhagen Central Station.  
Luggagehero has storage options throughout Copenhagen.

Note that shops and activities open at 10.

An easy way to get from the center to the airport is by Metro from either Nørreport or Kongens Nytorv Metro stations or by regional train from Copenhagen Central - it takes 15 to 20 minutes.  Metro every 5 minutes - regional train every 20 minutes. 3 zone ticket for DKK 30 - pay with credit card in ticket vending machine.
You must be at the airport two hours before departure.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:51 AM, Sujormik said:

My ship arrives in Copenhagen at 7 am and departs 2 pm.  Is there ANYTHING open at 8 am on a Friday? We have so little time I’m quite disappointed by the short timeframe.

Apart from a pleasant stroll through the city, prior to everything opening up we did enjoy the harbour bus (boat) as a comfortable and bustling way to pass 30 minutes zig zagging across the waterway with a number of points of interest on the way. Also the Museum of Copenhagen though not as dramatic as either the National or Glyptoteket museums opened at 9:00 and was an interesting way of spending some time prior to moving on to the bigger attractions

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, anadi said:

Hi - I booked a triple room with three beds at Copenhagen Island Hotel.

"In our bright Triple rooms, you and your family can continue your city experience, while enjoying the view of the harbour from the French-balcony. Our triple rooms have beds for three people, including a double bed or twin beds and a sofa bed for one person."

2 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

I booked a triple room with three beds at Copenhagen Island Hotel.

It is a very nice hotel with reasonable prices. The hotel is located right on the waterfront.

It is a bit out of the way from the center of Copenhagen, however, it is only 450 m (500 yards) to the nearest S-train station (Dybbelsbro) or the same distance to the Harbor bus stop - on the opposite site of the harbor over 'Bryggebroen' - a trip with the harbor bus is highly recommended - same tickets/cards as buses and trains (public transport).

• Like 1