Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

1 hour ago, Desdichado62 said:

I will be arriving by train on Friday afternoon (don't exactly when since SJ hasn't released the tickets for the winter yet), but probably around 12.00 sometime and leave Sunday afternoon (it's a two night event and starts at 15.00). Plan is to drop off suit case at hotel, grab some food and head to Roskilde.

Have starting to look at hotels, but almost every hotel in vicinity of the central seems to have very mixed reviews. However I am currently leaning towards Villa Copenhagen. Opinion?

Needs to be close to the station.

As for museums, I was thinking Museum of Copenhagen and The Danish War Museum.
Probably only have time to do one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Also need to sort out lunch for all three days. Event is at Gimle - Tanken, seems to be a café at the arena. Not sure if food is available during the festival concerts.

We stayed there it is very convenient to the station.  Actually you can proceed from your train away from the station and take the stairs or lift depending on the track just depend on what car you are on.

the Viking ship museum and the Domkirke in Roskilde (think Westminster Abbey of DK)  were very nice places to see.  As far as lunches we enjoyed sitting at the outdoor beer gardens in the large squares in the pedestrian areas.

villacop.png.2a1bce5fe8985fd432d1d68cce4e40a4.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

We stayed there it is very convenient to the station.  Actually you can proceed from your train away from the station and take the stairs or lift depending on the track just depend on what car you are on.

Very good point - just few steps from from the platform to your hotel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Very good point - just few steps from from the platform to your hotel.

it was great without luggage just look up the track and with the Copenhagen card get on the train! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We recently disembarked in Copenhagen (Oceankaj) and as we had an evening flight (7.10pm) we used the Red Hop on Hop off bus which served the terminal that morning to tour Copenhagen.  We had previously arranged with Copenhagen Luggage Service https://www.copenhagenluggageservice.com/  to collect our bags at the pier and take them to the airport.  This worked perfectly and would recommend this to anyone who has a late flight.  They also take bags from airport to cruise terminal or airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

what is the current situation in Copenhagen safety wise given to what is in the news

I'm not entirely clear what you're referring to - 'Koran burnings' or 'Christiania shootings' - F16 jets donation to Ukraine??? - not immediately anything that changes safety in general in Copenhagen.

Edited by hallasm

16 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

@hallasm what is the current situation in Copenhagen safety wise given to what is in the news

We were in Copenhagen last week and the closest we came to being 'unsafe' was being stabbed in the eye by tourists using umbrellas in the rain.  😉

p.s. never felt safer in a city!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes, Copenhagen is quite safe compared to other larger cities, but there are areas where it is not a problem to walk around during the day which may not be completely safe in the evening and night, but it is extremely rare that anything happens to random people passing by.
Incidents are predominantly gang-related - very few robberies or attacks on random people.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, VMax1700 said:

We were in Copenhagen last week and the closest we came to being 'unsafe' was being stabbed in the eye by tourists using umbrellas in the rain.  😉

Or run into a bicycle! You really have to watch out for the bikes.

50 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Or run into a bicycle! You really have to watch out for the bikes.

As a starting point, in Denmark we have a traffic law that also applies to pedestrians and cyclists.
Foreigners do not know / follow the law, which can be dangerous. Foreign cyclists in particular do not follow the traffic law - dangerous situations can arise, but it can also be expensive for the individual cyclist - between €100 - €200. Some examples: driving through a red light, including right turns, - driving against the direction of traffic or using a hand-held mobile costs €130.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

As a starting point, in Denmark we have a traffic law that also applies to pedestrians and cyclists.
Foreigners do not know / follow the law, which can be dangerous. Foreign cyclists in particular do not follow the traffic law - dangerous situations can arise, but it can also be expensive for the individual cyclist - between €100 - €200. Some examples: driving through a red light, including right turns, - driving against the direction of traffic or using a hand-held mobile costs €130.

Was an amazing amount of bicycles with their own lanes and traffic signals.  Even have huge bike parking lots outside ped zones and by subway and train stations.  Many don't even lock their bicycles up... talk about safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this already has been answered, but should I get Danish kroner before arriving in Copenhagen on a cruise next Saturday since it is only possible to buy tickets with cash on the public bus at the terminal? Or are there ATMs at the terminal(s) (Oceankaj)?

1 hour ago, Joey_L said:

should I get Danish kroner before arriving in Copenhagen on a cruise next Saturday since it is only possible to buy tickets with cash on the public bus at the terminal? Or are there ATMs at the terminal(s) (Oceankaj)?

There is no ATM at Oceankaj.
My suggestion is to use the DOT ticket App to buy tickets - one way is 2 zones DKK 24 to the centre. Bus to Orientkaj Metro Station and Metro to Centre.

There should also be a kiosk where it is possible to buy tickets. possibly long line and I don't know if it is open here at the end of the season.
If you have a mobile phone, I think this is the best solution.

Often you can also exchange on the ship.

Ok, I did some research. There is a ticket vending machine opposite Oceankaj Terminal 1. Near a kiosk, as mentioned by hallasm. The machine is outside, so it should be available also in the off-season. It's visible on Google streetview. The photo is from April 2019 though, so things could have changed since then. The bus stop is close by. See map. I think we can expect long queues, like hallasm also mentioned.

cph.jpg

Edited by Joey_L
  • Thanks 1

I have an entirely different question for Hallsam.

We will be in Copenhagen for 1 day next May (on a cruise ship), and are planning on seeing a friend whom I haven't seen for several years who lives in Malmo. What is the best way to get there please.

Regards,

Michele

PS. we have visited your beautiful city before.😃

1 hour ago, michwat said:

We will be in Copenhagen for 1 day next May (on a cruise ship), and are planning on seeing a friend whom I haven't seen for several years who lives in Malmo. What is the best way to get there please.

The answer is bus/metro and train. Depends on which cruise terminal.
It takes about an hour. Depending on the time, bus 164 to Østerport Station and from there direct train to Malmö. Also possible by bus 25 or 164 to Orientkaj Metro and from there metro M4 to Central Station or M4/M2 to Copenhagen airport - onward by train to Malmö. Price DKK 94 regardless of route.
This assumes that your ship calls at the Orientkaj cruise terminal - different route if from Langelinie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 6:55 PM, hallasm said:

Villa Copenhagen is an outstanding hotel - after you have dropped luggage at hotel I suggest lunch Tivoli Food Hall (outside Tivoli Garden - No entrance fee)  almost across the street from the hotel - just opposite Copenhagen Central.

regarding museums - two very different options - my favorite is the Danish War Museum.
At Gimle there is Restaurant the Raven link to menu card. Expect at least 45 for transport from Central Station to Gimle

Enjoy Copenhagen and Roskilde.

Thanks, hotel booked, was a bit surprised to see that breakfast was not included (used to staying on Swedish hotels where it's included). Anyway train tickets are not on sale yet, but I don't think there will much changed to current time table.  Can either leave at  06 and arrive at 11.25 or at 08 and arrive at 13.25 Haven't decided which train to go back on, but will probably leave around 14 or 15 in the afternoon.

Edited by Desdichado62

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

do you have any personal experience of restaurants: Ravelinen and Sporvejen?

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the two restaurants.  Personally, I think Ravelinen looks the most interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just booked a 2night stay in Copenhagen for next May. Can’t wait to experience it. Think I’m going to stay at Anderson Hotel. I like trying hotels that aren’t chains. My cruise ends in Copenhagen. I need to read this whole thread. Need to find good coffee shops. I’m MariaBella

11 hours ago, cabincop said:

Just booked a 2night stay in Copenhagen for next May. Can’t wait to experience it. Think I’m going to stay at Anderson Hotel. I like trying hotels that aren’t chains. My cruise ends in Copenhagen. I need to read this whole thread. Need to find good coffee shops. I’m MariaBella

Good coffee shops in Copenhagen are everywhere! As long as you like strong, bold coffee you will be happy. Problem is…what goes with the coffee…..the weinerbrod ( pastries) are awesome and definitely not low calorie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you visit Copenhagen, you must try classic Danish smørrebrød (Open sandwich) for lunch.

Here is a list of popular restaurants in Copenhagen that serve smørrebrød.

Møntergade, Møntergade 19

Aamanns 1921, Niels Hemmingsens Gade 19-21

Tårnet, Christiansborg Slotsplads (inside Danish Parliament- Foketinget)

Palægade,  Palægade 8

Kronborg, Brolæggerstræde 12 

Restaurant Schønnemann, Hauser Pl. 16 

Fru  Nimb, inside Tivoli Garden

Restaurant Sank Annæ, Sankt Annæ Plads 12

Kanalhuset, Overgaden Oven Vandet 62A

Frk. Barners kælder, Helgolandsgade 8A

Restaurant PUK,  Vandkunsten 8

Boulevarden,  Amager Boulevard 129

Kastellet, Amaliegade 41

Judie, Nyhavn 26

It is usually necessary to reserve a table. Most have online table reservations - search on Google.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hallasm said:

When you visit Copenhagen, you must try classic Danish smørrebrød (Open sandwich) for lunch.

Here is a list of popular restaurants in Copenhagen that serve smørrebrød.

Møntergade, Møntergade 19

Aamanns 1921, Niels Hemmingsens Gade 19-21

Tårnet, Christiansborg Slotsplads (inside Danish Parliament- Foketinget)

Palægade,  Palægade 8

Kronborg, Brolæggerstræde 12 

Restaurant Schønnemann, Hauser Pl. 16 

Fru  Nimb, inside Tivoli Garden

Restaurant Sank Annæ, Sankt Annæ Plads 12

Kanalhuset, Overgaden Oven Vandet 62A

Frk. Barners kælder, Helgolandsgade 8A

Restaurant PUK,  Vandkunsten 8

Boulevarden,  Amager Boulevard 129

Kastellet, Amaliegade 41

Judie, Nyhavn 26

It is usually necessary to reserve a table. Most have online table reservations - search on Google.

Thank you