Can unused OBC be refunded to you after cruise is over?

Sun&Sand52

7 minutes ago, margar said:

Just wondering if OBC from HAL can be refunded to you at the end of the cruise if you do not use it? Otherwise I guess I’ll need to find ways to spend it all on board 😉

If it is OBC given to you by HAL or CCL stock OBC benefit, it is NOT refundable.

So, yes you will need to spend it or lose it.

FYI, if it is OBC you purchased or OBC your TA gave you (with the odd exception), it is refundable and will be credited back to you if it’s not used.

Sadly, I’ve never had that problem 😉.  We always manage to spend it all 😉 

There are lots of ways to spend it if you are so inclined - specialty dining, wine packages, drinks, shore excursions, Cellar Master dinners, shopping, bingo, wine tastings, etc.

If, despite your best efforts to spend all the non-refundable OBC, you have some left over, you can add it to the hotel service charge. That way what can't benefit you can benefit the hard working crew, and doesn't just go back to HAL's coffers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We also have had quite a bit of shipboard credit given to us by HAL a couple of times.  And we have managed to spend it all -- just like Kazu.

Special dinners are always great and does eat up a lot of that money.  And there are some wines we like -- so we buy a couple of bottles for dinner.

We have had times where it was tough to spend all of the OBC, especially on cruises when we also get other perks such as prepaid gratuities and when we purchase our excursions prior to sailing (so as to be sure we get them).

On our last cruise I noticed that our fare dropped by about $1000 (for 2) but that if I rebooked I would lose about $1000 in OBC.  I jumped on that deal, as that way I could spend the cash myself whenever and however I wanted.  In the end we spent the same amount eitherway, but this way we had more flexibility.

We had an excess of OBC non refundable on our Dec cruise.  Then we missed a port and they added $150.00 to our non refundable OBC.  We did Pinnacle and Tamarind.   I bought the stuffed monkey for a grandchild.  The last night we I realized we had alot left.  So dad picked out some of the duty free liquor (we missed Grand Cayman our liquor stop).  We still had quite a bit left.  And them mom and I found they had Clinique makeup on board.  No problem money spent.  I love clinique make up but do not normally spend that much on make up.  It was like we got it for 'free'!