Carry On Bag - After Boarding

CruzerDeb

15 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

OMG! How can you do that? I have one full suitcase and a carry on, and my hubby has the same. No way could I fit everything in a carry on! 😱

Depends how long the cruise is😉

i pack pretty light, but i still do a suitcase and a carry-on (IE backpack=which has meds, jewelry, some sunscreen, sundress, and any electronics). i now pack a sundress in my backpack because DM and i went on cruise years ago and they lost her suitcase (which of course showed up on day 4 of a 5 day trip. she was living out of my suitcase and was not happy because i carry minimal makeup and she doesn't go anywhere without EVERYTHING on. apparently her suitcase was chillin in another cabin an d the people finially realized that they had an extra suitcase (or at least that is what RCL said). carrying just a backpack around for a bit isn't too bad

52 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

OMG! How can you do that? I have one full suitcase and a carry on, and my hubby has the same. No way could I fit everything in a carry on! 😱

Not that hard, my spouse & I have been doing carry-on's only for the last dozen cruises or so. Last cruise was a five days in Tampa followed by a 13 day cruise to LA.  Tomorrow we fly to PR prior to a Southern Caribbean leaving on Sunday, again carry-on only.

One piece of luggage forces one to prioritize.  I heartily recommend it.

Edited by LostPuppy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LostPuppy said:

Not that hard, my spouse & I have been doing carry-on's only for the last dozen cruises or so. Last cruise was a five days in Tampa followed by a 13 day cruise to LA.  Tomorrow we fly to PR prior to a Southern Caribbean leaving on Sunday, again carry-on only.

One piece of luggage forces one to prioritize.  I heartily recommend it.

I like your way you think L.P.! It's not about how much stuff you can stuff in your luggage....it's all about how you UTILIZE the stuff that you DO pack. 

4 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

now i am struggling how to figure out how to pack for a 10 day MED cruise where we will be in Barcelona before & after for a total of 6 extra days.

LOT's of packing cubes? Sorry. For that I have no suggestions except more luggage. 

18 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

we've also always sailed out of florida so we have never had to fly to our ship.

Well I can see why. You are only about 90-100 miles away from 4 or 5 cruise ports, I'd say. You lucky dog you. JUST KIDDING. I have to drive 6 hours to get to our nearest port, Galveston. 

Ahhh, Tampa, Clearwater beach, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs. Say, that reminds me, I spent an entire summer in Tarpon Springs at my high school roommate's home there. We drove from Fort Worth to his parents house in T.S. Had a blast. took turns driving my 1966 GTO to Florida. That was back in 1967. Thanks for the memories. 

6 hours, Joe?  You're not driving fast enough!  Pretty sure we get there in 5 or so, stopping for breakfast at Sam's in Fairfield.  I think we would be broke if we lived in Florida.  It would be way too easy to take a quick getaway trip.  Those Florida cruises are cheaper than the Galveston ones & go to more places.  

12 hours ago, adventuredancer said:

now i am struggling how to figure out how to pack for a 10 day MED cruise where we will be in Barcelona before & after for a total of 6 extra days.

On my Fjords cruise (9 nights) with time in England before and after, I plan to pack for half the time and use the carnival laundry services.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

6 hours, Joe?  You're not driving fast enough!  Pretty sure we get there in 5 or so, stopping for breakfast at Sam's in Fairfield.  I think we would be broke if we lived in Florida.  It would be way too easy to take a quick getaway trip.  Those Florida cruises are cheaper than the Galveston ones & go to more places.  

Wellllll....I was ballparking the driving time. Besides, Mansfield is closer to Galveston than Arlington!  :classic_laugh:

Lol, especially if you start in North Arlington.  The traffic is horrendous.  Although, Mansfield traffic has gotten steadily worse now that we actually have stores & places to eat.

Back on track - a good way to reduce the amount of luggage is to make use of the laundry, as Eli suggested.  I've sent some to be done - nothing delicate, of course. I think it's all done in hot water.   I've also done laundry myself - typically on an afternoon when we want to relax a bit - just have to keep track of time to get clothes in & out of washer/dryer.  At least that way I can set the wash temperature.  This way you can take a smaller suitcase & it won't be as big a deal to carry on & off the ship and won't take up so much space wherever you are waiting until your cabin is ready.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, Eli_6 said:

Can you leave your luggage in the hallway outside your room before they are available? 

I mean, they leave them in the hallway anyway when they deliver checked bags.

No, because the fire doors leading to the rooms are closed. They don't allow you to enter them unless, you are  FTTF, Diamond, Platinum, Wedding party or suite.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:36 AM, stellarose said:

unless you are FTTF, you are lugging your bag.

for me my wine bottle broke and I had to carry a bag with broken glass in it 

Sounds like an excellent reason not to bring wine with you. At least you did not pack it in your suitcase so when it broke it leaked down to the suitcases below it. 

18 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

Sounds like an excellent reason not to bring wine with you. At least you did not pack it in your suitcase so when it broke it leaked down to the suitcases below it. 

I wrap mine up in soft clothes to pad them. I even put several pairs of socks on the bottle neck. 😂

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

We use Wine Skins (available on Amazon) to protect our wine bottles.  They are made from a heavy duty bubble wrap and the seal at the bottom is advertised as leak proof.  They are also reusable.

image.png.825818e39ab0ad210a97cf4818797d5b.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

We use Wine Skins (available on Amazon) to protect our wine bottles.  They are made from a heavy duty bubble wrap and the seal at the bottom is advertised as leak proof.  They are also reusable.

image.png.825818e39ab0ad210a97cf4818797d5b.png

I, too, bought these. I will be using them for the first time on my cruise out of NOLA on February 2. Hoping for no leaks, as I will put the wine in my carry on.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, jrmende63 said:

No, because the fire doors leading to the rooms are closed. They don't allow you to enter them unless, you are  FTTF, Diamond, Platinum, Wedding party or suite.

If I'm not mistaken, Suites do not have access to their rooms until 1:30pm unless you have FTTF.

The wine skins aka wine daipers are great. I have used my several times and no issues. I do keep an eye for any rips, tears or the tops no longer sealing. I finally had to say goodbye after 5 cruises to one of them and decided to go ahead and just get two new ones and replace both. Best cruise buy ever!

On 1/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, Greektreats said:

Question about wine: one of the earlier replies said that wine bottles being taken on board must be in carryon bag. For those of us flying, does that mean we must move our wine bottle from our checked bag (airline requirement) to our carryon bag before boarding the ship?    Panorama in 2+ weeks

Yes, you do have to take it out of your checked bag.. we wait until we get to florida to buy our wine/pop !

No, and it is the #1 reason I love FTTF. I'm going to hate not having it this go around.

You could of course always try to go to your room, which will likely be open for cleaning and try to hang it up in there (or ask the steward before you do), but personally I prefer to not inconvenience them in the slightest given how much work they have to do getting the rooms ready for us as quickly as they do.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, Greektreats said:

Question about wine: one of the earlier replies said that wine bottles being taken on board must be in carryon bag. For those of us flying, does that mean we must move our wine bottle from our checked bag (airline requirement) to our carryon bag before boarding the ship?    Panorama in 2+ weeks

Yes

• 2 weeks later...