Queen Mary 2 Sydney to New York, March 6 to April 25, 2020

rafinmd

Thank you so much Roy for keeping us updated. Although I do not feel that the ship is in peril off the coast of Durban, I have been thinking about the flash choir performance at afternoon tea in the Queens Room that the guest choir did on our sea day before Busselton, what turned out to be the last sea day for most of us. Little did we know at that stage that we could be in more peril off the sea than on it.

• Like 2

Quite intriguing! She continues her NE track at +/- 10 knts and is now at least 100 klm from Durban. Wonder whether she is aiming for Richards Bay, another deep water port in northern KZN?

1 minute ago, BJLord said:

Quite intriguing! She continues her NE track at +/- 10 knts and is now at least 100 klm from Durban. Wonder whether she is aiming for Richards Bay, another deep water port in northern KZN?

Strange, as her AIS destination is still Durban.

Roy

Agree. Course is almost due south at 14 knts. Vessel Finder now shows her ETA as 29 Mar at 05h00. Interesting her short little journey north. Could it be similar to QE's little trip a few days ago in sorting out bilge and grey water?

Now I'm really puzzled with the latest movements.  Repatriation Merchant Ship Queen Mary 2 was in port 3 days with no need to go to sea for water so her time at anchor shouldn't have required that.  I'm wondering if the authorities in Durban are trying to decide about letting her in but the pattern is strange.  The times on the screen shot are day:hour:minute in Universal time.  qm2durban1.thumb.JPG.0e26ad30cd3477878ae19971561d8518.JPG

Fortunately, QM2 refueled in Mauritius so she shouldn't have an immediate emergency.

Safarigal, your post made me regret that I hadn't gotten to afternoon tea while on board.

Roy

• Like 1

This screenshot from the marinetraffic app might help illustrate QM2's current and past track a little better. Looks like she's started heading back to the northeast, possibly to do another loop around back to Durban by tomorrow morning.

Screenshot_20200328-155943_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.ab341341cc4501d251f51227338ed607.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

I'm still stunned that it's that difficult.  In Mauritius she was well into the harbor at anchor while refueling.  She should be  able to do that at Durban as well without presenting any danger,

Roy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

QM2 has been heading off to the northeast from Durban at 9-10 knots for the past couple hours. Not sure what to make of that.

A post on FB states that a medical team have been put on board by helicopter and that winds are 30kn+ from the NE.  If     correct she would probably been required to steam into the wind  at a steady speed for the helo. Secondly the helo would almost certainly want her clear of the other ships at anchor.  

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

It's March 29, the day I should have begun an overland Garden Route tour with an overnight safari.  Repatriation Merchant Ship Queen Mary 2 is still at anchor at Durban.  A passenger on board reports that when/if approval is given to refuel (and apparently repatriate a handfull of South African Crew) there will be a 24-48 hour delay before the process begins.

Roy

• Like 1

QM2 is on the move again.

Following extract appeared in www.africaports.co.za on Sunday.

CRUISE AND SHIP PORT MOVEMENTS DUE TO COVID-19

Durban on a previous visit. Picture: Trevor Jones, featured in Africa PORTS & SHIPSQueen Mary 2 in Durban on a previous visit.   Picture: Trevor Jones

DURBAN

QUEEN MARY 2

Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 arrived off Durban on Thursday 26 March and, in an unusual action for the Queen, went to anchor outside port at the anchorage opposite Umhlanga. By Friday midday the ship, which has always been welcomed by crowds of Durbanites even in the days when access to the North Pier was heavily restricted, remained in this position, not far from another anchored cruise ship visitor, MSC Orchestra.

The liner was arriving from Fremantle, where most of her passengers were disembarked. Those that remain on board are understood to be passengers returning to the UK who are otherwise unable to fly and will return instead with the ship, whose destination remains Southampton. When she finally enters port to take bunkers and any necessary supplies, it will be a silent mostly ‘non-event’ save for those fortunate people living in apartments along the beachfront.

Update Sunday 22h30:

The NSRI reports that on Friday, 27 March, at 19h00 the NSRI Durban duty crew launched the sea rescue craft Alick Rennie, accompanied by a ShipMed doctor, to rendezvous at the Queen Mary 2 cruise liner at the outer anchorage off-shore of Umhlanga, Durban.

The ShipMed doctor, under the authority of the Department of Health Port Health Unit and the Department of Transport, was tasked to carry out routine Covid-19 tests onboard.

On arrival at Queen Mary 2 the doctor, wearing full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), was transferred onto the ship and following the sample tests that were collected the doctor was transferred back onto the sea rescue craft and brought back into the Port of Durban without incident.

All precautions, PPE and protocols as outlined by the Department of Health were followed during the operation. As of 22h30 Sunday 29 March Queen Mary 2 remained at anchor outside, although earlier in the weekend the ship sailed a short distance along the coast to improve the conditions on board for the remaining passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Repatriation Merchant Ship Queen Mary 2 went to sea briefly but is now back at anchor outside Durban.  It sounds like medical people were sent to the ship to do tests but have not yet been released.  I am hopeful that the ship will be able to at least refuel in the next few days.

I had a virtual breakfast meeting with my church mens group and a physician indicated that symptoms usually show up within 7-9 days and I am 14 days off QM2 and 10 days at home.  That feels quite promising.

Roy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Repatriation Merchant Ship Queen Mary 2 went to sea briefly but is now back at anchor outside Durban.  It sounds like medical people were sent to the ship to do tests but have not yet been released.  I am hopeful that the ship will be able to at least refuel in the next few days.

I had a virtual breakfast meeting with my church mens group and a physician indicated that symptoms usually show up within 7-9 days and I am 14 days off QM2 and 10 days at home.  That feels quite promising.

Roy

I believe the range is believed to be 4-11 with a mean of 7.  The 14 day advisory is because carriers don’t always get symptoms (cf. Senator Paul).

If there is a case now on board, you are lucky that you got off, given the speed with which the virus  has spread through other ships.  A lucky escape!

Edited by IB2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a transcription I have made from a photo posted on facebook yesterday of a letter that was sent to guests after it was determined there was a COVID-19 case on board QM2.

====================

Dear Guests,

As you know, we received confirmation from the South African authorities that confirmed a person on board Queen Mary 2 has been diagnosed with Coronavirus COVID-19.

It was immediately after this notification that I made my announcement asking you return to and remain in your stateroom. This is part of our established response procedures, and I sincerely thank you for your understanding and co-operation in this matter.

I fully appreciate this is unsettling for you and that you have many questions, so I’d like to give you further explanation as to why we have instructed you to stay in your stateroom.

Your wellbeing remains our utmost priority. Our medical experts on board and ashore are continuously monitoring the evolving and dynamic situation, working closely with the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and Public Health England to follow the latest information and ensure our own already established procedures are further enhanced to reflect the latest advice, or specific national requirements.

Our response procedures have been carefully developed to implement all reasonable measures to minimize the risk of any virus spread on board, whilst maintaining your comfort levels to as high a standard as possible.

Staying in your stateroom also allows my crew to focus on carrying out further investigations and checks, as well as commencing immediate deep cleaning and sanitizing of all public areas and facilities, which are currently closed until further notice.

In addition, it lets us plan for (and then facilitate) a food delivery service to your stateroom. Further details will be provided in due course.

While we have suspended all routine stateroom servicing for guests, we will supply you with cleaning products with instructions on how to use, as well as advice on laundry collection and changing of linens and towels. For guests with children we will also provide a pack containing age appropriate games and activities.

For those of you that smoke or vape, we will make exceptions to our normal smoking policy. However, please take extra special care to avoid any fire risk. Please feel free to smoke / vape on your stateroom balcony only. When smoking on balconies, please consider your neighbours and limit your smoking to the first 10 minutes of every hour. Ashtrays will be made available to you by contacting Reception on extension 22200.

As mentioned in my initial announcement, please continue to refrain from using the ship’s phone system at this time unless you have an urgent medical need or another necessary request. This helps us keep our phone channels open without overburdening the switchboard. I fully appreciate you may want to phone family and friends, so I will let you know as soon as possible when the phone system is available again. You are welcome to use your mobile phone if you have a connection.

Please do listen to the ship’s address system for all further updates from me - I will provide you with these as soon as I can. The Purser’s Desk will not have further information at this stage, so I would ask that you not telephone them to ask questions - please only call them if absolutely necessary or to request an ashtray.

In the meantime, thank you all again for your understanding and co-operation in this unexpected situation.

Yours Sincerely,

Captain Aseem A. Hashmi, MNM

Master - RMS Queen Mary 2

• Like 1