Queen Mary 2 Sydney to New York, March 6 to April 25, 2020

rafinmd

Listening to our evening news a short while ago it was a false positive result.  In fact little emphasis placed on this fact except to say that one individual was subsequently cleared. The QM2 has now been given the all clear, the six South Africans disembarked and they are now refuelling and re-provisioning for what may be a quick turnaround depending on the refuelling time. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BJLord said:

Listening to our evening news a short while ago it was a false positive result.  In fact little emphasis placed on this fact except to say that one individual was subsequently cleared. The QM2 has now been given the all clear, the six South Africans disembarked and they are now refuelling and re-provisioning for what may be a quick turnaround depending on the refuelling time. 

That's very good news, it must be a massive relief for those on board.

Thank you very much for posting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still watching on Marine Traffic.  It doesn't look like bunkering has started.  Maybe the release should have said "approved" rather than begun.  I see what look like 3 potential bunker vessels.  Funana and Energy are filling container ships, while Bongani is likely reloading from a larger tanker.  Still a very positive sign.  One case where "false" and "positive" combine to be a good thing.

Roy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Still watching on Marine Traffic.  It doesn't look like bunkering has started.  Maybe the release should have said "approved" rather than begun.  I see what look like 3 potential bunker vessels.  Funana and Energy are filling container ships, while Bongani is likely reloading from a larger tanker.  Still a very positive sign.  One case where "false" and "positive" combine to be a good thing.

Roy

there is a photo on a FB group of her in Durban with a bunker barge alongside but it is clearly not current since QM is port side to when AIS has her starboard side to. Also there is a car carrier of the Williamsen line in the photo but I have seen no such vessel in Durban on AIS today.

2 hours ago, sogne said:

there is a photo on a FB group of her in Durban with a bunker barge alongside but it is clearly not current since QM is port side to when AIS has her starboard side to. Also there is a car carrier of the Williamsen line in the photo but I have seen no such vessel in Durban on AIS today.

Yes, I'm convinced that is a stock photo.  At the moment Repatriation Merchant Ship is docked in Durban.  The bunker tanker Energy is still refueling a freighter, the Fumana sits idle, and the Bongani still appears to be taking on fuel, working off a second big tanker after the first one left the harbor.  I would think she should move over to QM2 soon.  I assume also there is some type of illness on board, thankfully it has tested negative for coronavirus.  At the beginning Captain Hashmi estimated 25 days for the voyage; I expect now it will be somewhat longer.

Roy

9 hours ago, BJLord said:

Pilot boat alongside. Looks promising.

A false promise, sadly.  Fumana disengaged from QM2 about 3AM Durban time, about 45 minutes ago, after being alongside for about 12 hours.  I would hope she will be leaving soon, but will probably be in bed first.

Roy

Passing Margate KZN at 11:20 local time; distance approx: 32 klms. Pushing a leisurely 23.4 kts. One wonders when we will see her again in our waters? Godspeed to the Captain, crew and remaining passengers!

image.thumb.png.0f3c731f908af1fe820c31c1f83d07b7.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BJLord said:

Passing Margate KZN at 11:20 local time; distance approx: 32 klms. Pushing a leisurely 23.4 kts. One wonders when we will see her again in our waters? Godspeed to the Captain, crew and remaining passengers!

image.thumb.png.0f3c731f908af1fe820c31c1f83d07b7.png

Is that from a webcam or are you currently closer to the ocean than Johannesburg?

Roy

Something new and strange.  QM2 has done a 180 and heading back towards Durban.  Could it be possible she's secured a slot for the Suez Canal or would that be a pipe dream?

Roy

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Something new and strange.  QM2 has done a 180 and heading back towards Durban.  Could it be possible she's secured a slot for the Suez Canal or would that be a pipe dream?

Roy

Or perhaps Capt. Hashmi left his car keys behind? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Is that from a webcam or are you currently closer to the ocean than Johannesburg?

Roy

No Roy, a friend in Ramsgate was able to take it with a telephoto lens 🙂

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Rather strange. Hope its nothing serious!

• Like 2

Another very strange day.  QM2 left Durban 19 hours ago, and turned back towards Durban after 11 hours, finally turning back towards Cape Horn for about 5 hours but is now once again on the way to Cape of Good Hope.  She should be passing Port Elizabeth in the next few hours.

We haven't heard from anybody onboard recently.  May never know the full story.

ETA, I see on the other thread it's been reported as a Medivac.  A bit surprised at that as Captain Hashmi was quite clear help would be unlikely in a medical emergency, and I expected that even more with South Africa's current problems.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Another very strange day.  QM2 left Durban 19 hours ago, and turned back towards Durban after 11 hours, finally turning back towards Cape Horn for about 5 hours but is now once again on the way to Cape of Good Hope.  She should be passing Port Elizabeth in the next few hours.

ETA, I see on the other thread it's been reported as a Medivac.  A bit surprised at that as Captain Hashmi was quite clear help would be unlikely in a medical emergency, and I expected that even more with South Africa's current problems.

Roy

I heard they had had a medical evacuation 😞

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, that sounds rather eerie - 'We haven't heard from anybody onboard recently.  May never know the full story.'

It's sounding rather Marie Celeste.

I hope you continue to stay well.

• Thanks 1

QM2 sure seems to be giving it the old college try to make up for lost time. She has been consistently above 24 knots for at least the past five hours, mostly above 25 knots, and occasionally even above 27 knots. I caught this instance from her track on marinetraffic an hour ago where she was doing 27.3 knots.

896917669_QM2Track2020-04-030230UTC.jpg.750d2166c63118a16ab585768597a942.jpg

• Like 1

I've been reading on facebook from a passenger on board QM2 that there were two separate medical emergencies within a short time of each other yesterday, both guests were evacuated by helicopter to a Durban hospital, and the report is that they are both now doing well.

QM2 is back to doing more like 22 knots today. I realize now a significant reason for her higher speeds yesterday are the strong ocean currents off the eastern coast of South Africa. That was in evidence when she was doing about 25 knots with the current before turning back toward Durban, but then was only doing about 17-18 knots against the current after turning back for the medical evacuation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I've been reading on facebook from a passenger on board QM2 that there were two separate medical emergencies within a short time of each other yesterday, both guests were evacuated by helicopter to a Durban hospital, and the report is that they are both now doing well.

QM2 is back to doing more like 22 knots today. I realize now a significant reason for her higher speeds yesterday are the strong ocean currents off the eastern coast of South Africa. That was in evidence when she was doing about 25 knots with the current before turning back toward Durban, but then was only doing about 17-18 knots against the current after turning back for the medical evacuation.

a good report here   much more involved than in my day

https://www.nsri.org.za/2020/04/patient-evacuation-off-the-queen-mary-2/?

fbclid=IwAR25lMehE4TUVcBzawSkAqnuZ__2SGMc2v495pR6pvDpvIutHuFM52MbQqE

• Thanks 2