Los Angeles Area Question

jbethel11

4 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Hi! I am looking at some Carnival Panorama sailings for August 2020. I wanted to know around which date do LA area kids go back to school? This is just so I know how to plan accordingly. Thanks!

The "L.A. Area" is nothing less than HUGE with many many many separate public and Catholic school districts as well as all sorts of private/charter/independent schools as well. And that doesn't even address the public/private  colleges/universities (e.g., with semesters/quarters/trimesters) throughout metro SoCal.

That said, you can definitely count on "Autumn" term/semester school openings ranging from early/mid-August to just after Labor Day.

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The "L.A. Area" is nothing less than HUGE with many many many separate public and Catholic school districts as well as all sorts of private/charter/independent schools as well. And that doesn't even address the public/private  colleges/universities (e.g., with semesters/quarters/trimesters) throughout metro SoCal.

That said, you can definitely count on "Autumn" term/semester school openings ranging from early/mid-August to just after Labor Day.

Thanks for establishing that. That's like me saying the "New York area". I guess I was looking for a common date. Like will an August 15th cruise have less kids that an August 8th cruise?

9 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Thanks for establishing that. That's like me saying the "New York area". I guess I was looking for a common date. Like will an August 15th cruise have less kids that an August 8th cruise?

Yes, it is likely that the Aug. 15 cruise will have fewer kids than Aug. 8.    There will still be more than there might be in September, but it hopefully won't be packed with them.    

28 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Of course kids from outside of the LA area that haven't started school yet could go on a cruise on Aug 15, or 22. Particularly college kids.

10 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I guess I was looking for a common date. Like will an August 15th cruise have less kids that an August 8th cruise?

NMUSD August 24; Long Beach USD August 24, Saddleback USD August 17; LAUSD, August 18; Anaheim UHSD August 7 and Santa Ana USD August 10.

PS it's not just which district, but also which ones are affluent enough for cruise vacation.

• Like 1

The Los Angeles Unified School District is the second largest school district in the country (trailing only NYC)...it has roughly 750,000 students enrolled.

https://achieve.lausd.net/cms/lib/CA01000043/Centricity/Domain/36/School_calendar_2020-2021_Board Approved.pdf

Instruction in the LAUSD (for schools on the standard single track school calendar) begins on August 18, 2020...

Long Beach School District, with over 80,000 students...

https://publicholidays.us/school-holidays/california/long-beach-unified-school-district/

...starts September 1...

If you search, you will find most districts in So Cal now start some time in mid August...and Long Beach is one of the later starting districts...

There are lots of private schools and starting dates are also all over the place...

As to colleges, UCLA begins its Fall Quarter on September 28...USC begins Fall Semester on August 24...Cal State Long Beach starts August 17...Lots of other colleges with all sorts of various dates as well...

Obviously, you could have kids on your cruise at any time, but the later in the season you go, the less the chances...

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

So, to put these dates into perspective, in terms of kids: Aug 8 > Aug 15 > Aug 22 > Aug 29, with Aug 8 having significantly more kids than August 15?

Potentially, yes. But, again, colleges generally don't start until September...

18 minutes ago, Splinter said:

Where are you cruising to in August out of LA? Beastly hot on the Mexican Riviera at that time, and it is also the peak of the Pacific hurricane season.

Mexican Riviera. I really want to go on the Panorama as I've been on the Horizon, and to date, is my favorite ship.

Well, if it is an option, I would wait to go after November. Much better weather, and less chance of having your cruise ruined by a Pacific hurricane. August would be a good time to go to Alaska out of Seattle or Vancouver.

1 minute ago, Splinter said:

Well, if it is an option, I would wait to go after November. Much better weather, and less chance of having your cruise ruined by a Pacific hurricane. August would be a good time to go to Alaska out of Seattle or Vancouver.

I appreciate your expertise. Here is the problem: Vacation days are limited, so June-August is the best time for us. Thanksgiving days would work too, but those are far more expensive than August. Also, we would like to Celebrate a birthday onboard, so August is only month we could do so. Carnival doesn't have any ships comparable to the Panorama sailing to Alaska, and Royal and NCL are far too expensive for a 7-day cruise. If were were to cruise Royal or NCL, it would be out of NYC or Florida.

OK, just so you know. August Mexican Riviera cruises are cheap because of the issues I noted above. HAL does these cruises out of San Diego, but I don't think they start until October (using their ships that were in Alaska for the summer), but they are not a cheaper cruise line like Carnival. If you want a party ship, then Carnival is right up your alley.

9 hours ago, Splinter said:

Where are you cruising to in August out of LA? Beastly hot on the Mexican Riviera at that time, and it is also the peak of the Pacific hurricane season.

It ain't the heat, it's the humidity that makes you miserable. My parents had a home in Puerto Vallarta for years and they never went before Halloween usually, or after mid-May.

18 minutes ago, AgentMinusOne said:

If you look on the Carnival web site, you should also notice the prices dropping pretty significantly when the schools start.

Keep in mind, though, that Panorama is very much aimed for families with kids. If you want a hassle-free cruise vacation, that is.

I do notice that. Between the August 8th and the August 15th sailing, there is a $200 price differential between balconies.

• Like 1

My grandkids start school and have different spring break times than the kids where I live which is Ventura County.  VC borders LA County.  None of their time off matches the kids in our school district.  Plus we have different school districts within our County.  Oak Park has different times off than Calabasas and Thousand Oaks.  My dentist used to tell me he had three kids and none of them ever had time off at the same time. 

My grandkids from Washington State start and stop school totally different.  I think last year the kids here were in school for three weeks ahead of the WS kids and they sure get off school at a different time.  I think we have one month where they are off at the same time.

Then, of course, you have Orange County which I'm sure has different times off as well.

• Thanks 1