Cruising Greek Islands

Izzy'sMoms

We are looking at a cruise of Greek islands the last week of April. The cooler temperatures, fewer tourists and shoulder season prices are a plus. Our only concern is the possibility of rough seas. Can anyone who has cruised this area in late April advise or provide insight to cruising this time of year?

1 hour ago, Izzy'sMoms said:

We are looking at a cruise of Greek islands the last week of April. The cooler temperatures, fewer tourists and shoulder season prices are a plus. Our only concern is the possibility of rough seas. Can anyone who has cruised this area in late April advise or provide insight to cruising this time of year?

Can only give personal experience- went three times during first and second weeks in May and the weather each time was ideal and seas flat. As you say crowds were minimal and temperature in the low 70's. There was no wait either going up or down the tram in Santorini too. The hike along the caldera from Fira to Oia could not have been better. Perfect time to visit.

Have a wonderful time!

it has been a few years since we did the Greek Island   but  went late April-May

Temps in Athens  were cool to cold  when we arrived  then warmed up as we headed around the Islands 

Mid  May our return to Athens  it was 90F  & very humid

The seas were fine   but  you cannot predict the weather or sea conditions

I would go  again at that time of year  to beat the heat & crowds

We boarded in Rome I think April 27th. We’d spent three nights in Positano beforehand. We had some pretty serious rain in Rhodes but the other days were good. We also hiked from Thira to Oia..great time to do it. Our Greek ports were Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes & Athens. I don’t remember any rough seas. 

I took a cruise on a small ship (350 pax) in mid-April about 3 years ago. We were in Athens on (Orthodox) Easter, which was fantastic, and departed the day following. That cruise had some of the best, sunny but not too hot weather that I've had in numerous Med cruises -- and the seas were like glass. I have a gorgeous photo of this from just off Monemvasia that I'll have to dig up.

Weather happens when it happens. But no, I don't see why rough seas should be any more of a concern in April than in May or June...

Did it in mid- May. Beautiful weather and calm seas. Only drawback was that it could be 65 degrees with a cool brisk wind or a hot 90 degrees. Changed daily. 

What that meant, in practical terms, was one couldn’t really plan on a beach day. So no “ in Mykonos we’re going to the beach “ plans. You plan the activities you actually want to do and do them. On other days, you do as the weather allows. Still a time of the year to be flexible with your schedule.

We are looking at Italy and Greece, last week of April.  So glad to see this thread!   

Thanks so much to you all for the good info.

We would be debarking at Athens on Orthodox Good Friday.  I would love to hear more about that.  But I understand that might be the best day to be there for Orthodox Easter. 

I would love to hear recommendations for Santorini and Rome!

Edited by Wishing on a star

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

We are looking at Italy and Greece, last week of April.  So glad to see this thread!   

Thanks so much to you all for the good info.

We would be debarking at Athens on Orthodox Good Friday.  I would love to hear more about that.  But I understand that might be the best day to be there for Orthodox Easter. 

I would love to hear recommendations for Santorini and Rome!

If you are there on the Saturday evening before Orthodox Easter, you MUST attend one of the midnight candle-lighting ceremonies at an Orthodox church (in reality they often start at 11pm); it is a very moving sight and experience whether or not one is religious. Read more here.

The next day in Athens virtually everything is shut down, so not a good day for sightseeing. The churches all have big Easter-morning ceremonies with much ringing of bells, especially in and around the Plaka area.  The one we went to, around the corner from the Grand Bretagne hotel, also had beautiful singing. To my surprise, although shops were closed, the Plaka area had numerous restaurants and even individuals out roasting lamb on big grills on the sidewalks, drinking wine, and having very convivial parties in which passersby were warmly invited to participate.  

Edited by cruisemom42

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We were in Athens on (Orthodox) Easter,

We were in the Greek islands on Easter, traveling by ferry, and didn't realize that Easter Monday is a holiday and everyone was returning to Athens. We barely found seats. And were super glad that we had lots of leftover goodies for our lunch.

IMG_5919.JPG