Bathroom Outlet - Switch Controlled?

jdcml

Working on our packing list.  It's been a few years since we cruised.  Last time we brought a few little battery powered candles for night lights.  Was that because the switch in the bathroom controls the outlet?  Why wouldn't we have just used a traditional nightlight?  These were nice because it was just enough light to prevent you from stubbing your toe!

led-flameless-flickering-tealight-candles-(pack-of-720-pcs)-31.jpg

Yes, the outlet in the bathroom is controlled by the light switch.  Additionally, it's labelled for using electric razors only.  Bring the battery operated tea lights.  They really are the best alternative for a night light in the bathroom.  

My husband has some mobility issues and I had a little battery operated night light for the bathroom but I was afraid he would forget the step up in the middle of the night, so I brought along a couple packages of Dollar store glow sticks.  The necklace size fit perfectly, just pushed them up against the floor right at the door and they were still faintly glowing by morning.  

4 hours ago, Border Granny said:

My husband has some mobility issues and I had a little battery operated night light for the bathroom but I was afraid he would forget the step up in the middle of the night, so I brought along a couple packages of Dollar store glow sticks.  The necklace size fit perfectly, just pushed them up against the floor right at the door and they were still faintly glowing by morning.  

I've never seen that tip before. That's a good one.

46 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

Or you could use the flashlight on your smart phone

Nah, the flashlight is too bright. I don't like bright light when I get up in the middle of the night. I just use my phone's screen. I have it dimmed to conserve battery anyway, so it's just right to guide my way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Border Granny said:

A string of battery operated mini Christmas lights will work too, and you don't have to keep replacing glow sticks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdcml said:

Working on our packing list.  It's been a few years since we cruised.  Last time we brought a few little battery powered candles for night lights.  Was that because the switch in the bathroom controls the outlet?  Why wouldn't we have just used a traditional nightlight?  These were nice because it was just enough light to prevent you from stubbing your toe!

The outlets in the bathrooms on Fantasy class ships are not switch-controlled.  I used them to charge my electric shaver overnight, with the bathroom lights off.  By morning, it was fully charged.  The only catch was that once during rough seas, the motion was strong enough to shake the charger plug out of the outlet.  (The outlet was in the ceiling, of all places.)  I didn't use nightlights, because I always had a porthole cabin; the moonlight shining in from outside was sufficient.  Plus, on cruises, I'm usually out cold until morning, anyway.

That said, the bathroom outlets are low-voltage, and aren't strong enough for anything but shavers.  Possibly including night lights.  (I don't know if they're 110 V, 220 V, or dual voltage.)

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

5 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

A string of battery operated mini Christmas lights will work too, and you don't have to keep replacing glow sticks. 

Except we sailed in June, they might have been hard to find, lol.  But seriously the glow sticks came in a pkg of 4 for a dollar, so pretty cheap.  I just picked it up in the morning so it wouldn’t be in the steward’s way when he was cleaning, and put a new one down when we were ready to go to bed, worked like a charm. Plus we like the room pretty dark while asleep, and you really didn’t notice the glow stick, it didn’t light up the room at all, just the step up into the bathroom.

2 minutes ago, HeidiHo said:

Takes me several minutes to find the flashlight ap on my phone even when I am wide awake and totally sober. LOL 🙄😊

The easy solution, and this is what we did, was simply leave the bathroom light on, and close the bathroom door almost all the way, to where there is only a tiny sliver of light shining through. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

The easy solution, and this is what we did, was simply leave the bathroom light on, and close the bathroom door almost all the way, to where there is only a tiny sliver of light shining through. 

I don't think you can close the bathroom door "almost" all the way on a moving ship.  The key word is "moving".  The rocking of the ship will make it swing by itself.  That's why the bathroom doors have magnets.   As a result. you can keep it in only two states: fully closed and latched, or fully open and held in place with a magnet. 

Some lines and I believe(?) the last Carnival ship I was on have begun using motion detector switches that automatically turn on the bathroom light when you approach it.

I found this feature annoying and asked to have it removed, but the cabin stewards said it was now a mandatory safety feature.  I always have a small LED flashlight with me so I never need a night light.

11 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I don't think you can close the bathroom door "almost" all the way on a moving ship.  The key word is "moving".  The rocking of the ship will make it swing by itself.  That's why the bathroom doors have magnets.   As a result. you can keep it in only two states: fully closed and latched, or fully open and held in place with a magnet. 

The bathroom and entry doors have automatic door closers on them. They can't swing open. Where have you seen bathroom doors held open by magnets? I've only ever seen ones with the automatic closers and they won't swing open all the way around.

39 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The bathroom and entry doors have automatic door closers on them. They can't swing open. Where have you seen bathroom doors held open by magnets? I've only ever seen ones with the automatic closers and they won't swing open all the way around.

I was on Carnival's Fantasy class ships, both non-2.0'ed and 2.0'ed.  The cabin doors have closers, but bathroom doors do not.  When the bathroom door is closed, it's latched.  When it's open, it's hinged outward, swung 180 degrees, and held in place by a magnet at the top.  The cabin door has a magnet too, but swings inward only 90 degrees.

Maybe newer ships are different.  I'm going by what I saw.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

16 hours ago, Joe817 said:

We've tried that. But, if the ship passes through some rough water during the night, the bathroom door will swing open and half of the cabin will be lit up. Much better to have a battery operated tea light on the bathroom counter. 

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I was on Carnival's Fantasy class ships, both non-2.0'ed and 2.0'ed.  The cabin doors have closers, but bathroom doors do not.  When the bathroom door is closed, it's latched.  When it's open, it's hinged outward, swung 180 degrees, and held in place by a magnet at the top.  The cabin door has a magnet too, but swings inward only 90 degrees.

58 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

We've tried that. But, if the ship passes through some rough water during the night, the bathroom door will swing open and half of the cabin will be lit up. Much better to have a battery operated tea light on the bathroom counter. 

Just off the Legend and were able to leave door unlatched, almost closed. Went through rough enough seas—8 ft swells—for many people to be sick and door did not swing at all. Toward the end I realized we could actually latch it and still get a sliver of light over the top. I never get up at night but usually still dark in the am when I rise. That was enough light for me to grab clothes and shoes and leave the cabin without waking the other three.

I always also have a penlight by my bed in case of emergency with power outage.

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Gotcha. Yeah, not sure when they started doing it, but now the bathroom doors have the closers on them too. They only open about 90 degrees.

Question for people who've been on Dream and/or Vista class ships. Since they have the card slots that activate the lights, I'm assuming you need a card in the slot to turn the bathroom light on too? Also, with a card in the slot, can you still turn on/off individual lights manually? Such as the nightstand lamps or the vanity mirror light at the desk. We haven't used that system yet, but will in a couple months. Just curious.

12 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Question for people who've been on Dream and/or Vista class ships. Since they have the card slots that activate the lights, I'm assuming you need a card in the slot to turn the bathroom light on too? Also, with a card in the slot, can you still turn on/off individual lights manually? Such as the nightstand lamps or the vanity mirror light at the desk. We haven't used that system yet, but will in a couple months. Just curious.

We did not have card slots to activate the lights on our Dream cruise from July 29-Aug. 1. 

26 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Well, I can't really answer the first question. But I believe all lights will not work without something in the slot. I am not sure about the outlets. The reason I don't know / can't answer is because I keep a random paper / airline boarding pass in the slot the entire cruise. The answer to your second question is that once something is in the slot all lights act normally / individual control. This was on Magic and Horizon. I can't recall if the outlets had anything to do with the card slot, I think I read on here they do.

18 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Hmm. Maybe it came later with the Magic or Breeze because I know I've seen people talk about it on Dream class ships.

Well, if they had card slots, I sure don't remember it. But then again, I've slept since then. :classic_unsure: