White Background Casual Group Portraits

mek

We will have a group with 4 generations on our cruise next month.  I want to get the white background portraits taken of all of us.

I would like to hear from those who have done this - does it matter what people wear - multi colors OK or does it look better if clothes are coordinated?

12 minutes ago, Garf said:

Does not matter !! Just SMILE and enjoy yourselves.

Well - yes it does matter to me.  I want it to turn out great and I'm picky about this type of thing. I was hoping to hear from those who have experience with this kind of portrait.  I want the people to be what are noticed, not the clothes, which I think is the point of the white background.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

We took some photos with the white background ( not on Carnival though. It was on Disney). I was a bit skeptical thinking that they wouldn’t turn out good, but they turned out to be some of the best photos we’ve ever had taken on a ship. The neutral white background really made the people stand out, rather than being distracted by a busy background. 

We didn’t wear anything special or coordinated, just what we were wearing for the night. But looking at the photos, we were all wearing darker colors except for my daughter who was wearing bright colored leggings, but overall they contrasted well with the background and made the people stand out. The white background definitely places the focus on the subject and removes any distractions. So my suggestion would be to steer clear of very light colors that may blend more with a white background. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We took some photos with the white background ( not on Carnival though. It was on Disney). I was a bit skeptical thinking that they wouldn’t turn out good, but they turned out to be some of the best photos we’ve ever had taken on a ship. The neutral white background really made the people stand out, rather than being distracted by a busy background. 

We didn’t wear anything special or coordinated, just what we were wearing for the night. But looking at the photos, we were all wearing darker colors except for my daughter who was wearing bright colored leggings, but overall they contrasted well with the background and made the people stand out. The white background definitely places the focus on the subject and removes any distractions. So my suggestion would be to steer clear of very light colors that may blend more with a white background. 

Thanks - this is the kind of information I wanted.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, mek said:

We will have a group with 4 generations on our cruise next month.  I want to get the white background portraits taken of all of us.

I would like to hear from those who have done this - does it matter what people wear - multi colors OK or does it look better if clothes are coordinated?

We haven't done this, but I do enjoy looking at friends photos.  With a white background I would encourage not trying to match, at least not all the exact same color (although that can look very nice for outdoor pictures).  Maybe everyone could wear jeans but different tops.  I agree with bright colors popping the most, dark would be my next choice, and avoid muted tones.  You could try a Google image search and see examples to know what fits your tastes best.

Have a great cruise - 4 generations together sounds very special 🙂 

1 hour ago, Buffalofirsttimer4 said:

Here is the pic we did on Liberty back in 2014- we didn't plan what we wore but the brighter colors do pop more.

274761011_Grouppic.thumb.jpg.89a054f96ee700ec3f89a182abaa68ca.jpg

Very nice !! See you did not stress yourselves just SMILE !! Enjoy your cruise, Lovely picture !!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, mek said:

We had on done on white background a few years ago .Bright colors and brite smiles make the picture pop

We did a white background on one of the formal nights.  I'll try & upload.  Guys wore navy, gray suits.  Ladies wore navy, burgundy, purple, black.  It turned out really nice - I like the contrast.  I would probably stay away from pale colors on a white background.  I feel like anything that is a bright or dark color will go well.  As far as a coordinating color scheme, I've seen family portraits where everyone is dressed similar & it looks nice, but variety is good, too. 

2019 05-29 Jonathan, Tom, Allison, Deanna, Michael, Sarah, Kelly.jpg

• Like 1

I would suggest going with similar tones like the above formal portrait, which is mostly blues and purples.  If your group look cohesive you'll have a better overall portrait.  Use a color wheel to find the color you want to have and then it will show you all the hues that naturally coordinate.

0a9ed28e47c9a84429bc181bb2a76656.jpg

color-wheel.jpg

This is exactly the look I'm going for.  Casual, yet polished.  Love the white shirts against the white background - this what I was talking about where the people are the focal point.    Thanks for posting.

11 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Seeing that it doesn't cost anything to have your photos taken, try it one way.  The following day, look at the photo and if you don't like it, try it a different way.  There are photo ops every night.

LOL - will be hard enough to get the group together one time, multiple nights - not.  Besides I normally don't wear  much makeup on cruises, but will for this photo, so there is only one chance to get it right.

Edited by mek

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back from my cruise and happy to report that the white background photos turned out great and exactly how I wanted.  I bought a 8X10 and the digital copy so I can make more prints at home.

39 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm back from my cruise and happy to report that the white background photos turned out great and exactly how I wanted.  I bought a 8X10 and the digital copy so I can make more prints at home.

We don't get to see???????