Process for bringing extra wine on board

lorri111

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The procedure varies depending on the security staff. At the port where we usually board, sometimes the wine is taken off you at the security scanner and taken to the 'alcohol' table. On other occasions, one of the security staff has walked with me to the 'alcohol' table.

Wow. Sounds tough where you board. In Florida they don't give you a second glance. 

44 minutes ago, history_bits said:

Hold up... do I have this right? 

Step 1) Bring wine on board

Step 2) Get free bottle per person. If staff aren't uber keen, possibly get other bottles free as well. 

Step 3) Get a glass somewhere.

Step 4) Pour yourself a glass of wine in the cabin, then head out of the cabin to drink it wherever you please. 

Genius!🍷

No one will ever question where the drink came from. 

In the DR they'll even want to carry it to the table for you. 

• Like 1

Just now, MissP22 said:

No one will ever question where the drink came from. 

In the DR they'll even want to carry it to the table for you. 

I have been known to take a glass of wine into the MDR,😁 but my husband won't. However, I get wine glasses from a bar and don't use the larger water glasses. I feel they are a give-away that the glass of wine wasn't purchased from a bar as a pre-dinner drink.

• Like 2

I get the "process" for bringing the extra bottles.  My question is about the first 2 (per cabin.)  Can one bring those to the MDR and NOT have to pay a fee?  If so, how is that determined?  

Maybe I'm confused a bit so feel free to set me straight.

Again, my question is about the first bottle.  TIA

35 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I get the "process" for bringing the extra bottles.  My question is about the first 2 (per cabin.)  Can one bring those to the MDR and NOT have to pay a fee?  If so, how is that determined?  

Maybe I'm confused a bit so feel free to set me straight.

Again, my question is about the first bottle.  TIA

The free bottles are not free if you take them unopened to the DR.  Just open in cabin and have a glass or two and then take the rest of bottle with you later.  NBD.  The first two free ones are supposed to be for cabin consumption.  But as many mention, some people pour wine into glasses and take them into the DR.  Hopefully they are using larger water glasses and then transfer to a wine glass as it would be a shame to spill wine on the floor or carpets.

Edited by steelers36

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

The free bottles are not free if you take them unopened to the DR.  Just open in cabin and have a glass or two and then take the rest of bottle with you later.  NBD.  The first two free ones are supposed to be for cabin consumption.  But as many mention, some people pour wine into glasses and take them into the DR.  Hopefully they are using larger water glasses and then transfer to a wine glass as it would be a shame to spill wine on the floor or carpets.

Ahh, that makes sense now.  Thanks for clearing things up.  We're not wine drinkers, but we're going with our kids and will take a couple of bottles for them when we board.  That's mostly why I'm asking.  I know the drill, uhem, for liquor, but I didn't know the details for wine policy. 

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been known to take a glass of wine into the MDR,😁 but my husband won't. However, I get wine glasses from a bar and don't use the larger water glasses. I feel they are a give-away that the glass of wine wasn't purchased from a bar as a pre-dinner drink.

The point I was trying to make is that no one cares what glass you're using. 

We've even used our water glasses from the room to bring our own drink to the DR. 

Still no one bats an eyelash. 

As others have said, you never know if the alcohol table will be there or not.  Several years ago we were cruising over Christmas with our grown son and had three bottles in my carry on bag (one for each of us) that we picked up at Total Wines.   I went to the left Xray machine (guys went to the right one)  and the lady told me I had to stop and check the bottles.  I told her I knew that and was going over there.  I stopped about 8 feet away and rearranged things I had to put in the tray.  The gal yelled at me to get going to the table.  I said I was waiting for the rest of my family.  She said you can meet up with them later.   Then she stopped the conveyor belt and stepped back with her hands on her hips and watched me until I was talking with the guy at the table.   I could not believe her.  I don't know how I pissed her off but she seemed to be upset about something.   The people behind me were not really happy her especially since there were long lines and only two machines.

10 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

We're not wine drinkers, but we're going with our kids and will take a couple of bottles for them when we board.

Having non-wine drinkers decide what wine you are going to drink is like having a vegan choose your steak.

Do your kids a favor and let them bring their own wine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, TNhome said:

I understand the whole process but still have a question. Do you put wine in your carry on or can you put the one bottle per person in your luggage?

We carry our wine on in our hand-carry visible and accessible to speed the process, as who likes to wait to check your wine in when the ship is waiting for you 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Having non-wine drinkers decide what wine you are going to drink is like having a vegan choose your steak.

Do your kids a favor and let them bring their own wine.

Uh, sure.  We're boarding together. 😏  So, any wine I bring will be bottles that they give me.  Never implied that I'd pick the wine.  

Edited by Redwing55

2 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

We're boarding together. 😏  So, any wine I bring will be bottles that they give me.  Never implied that I'd pick the wine.  

Gotcha....

If all four of you are literally checking in together, he may not even have to hand the two bottles off to you.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, TheRabbit said:

They were checked as luggage. The five boxes to the right of the Gatorade was all wine. We taped luggage tags to them and handed them off to the porter.

20180919_092009.jpg

I think I remember following your thread pre-planning this cruise, I was never able to open your photo of the final luggage group... is there a sewing machine in this group?  

On 1/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, TheRabbit said:

They were checked as luggage. The five boxes to the right of the Gatorade was all wine. We taped luggage tags to them and handed them off to the porter.

20180919_092009.jpg

I think I remember following your thread pre-planning this cruise, I was never able to open your photo of the final luggage group... is there a sewing machine in this group?  

13 minutes ago, Tickled2Trvl said:

Yes

Black and white bag behind the wine.

• Like 1

At Fort Lauderdale  I told the Alcohol Table guy I had four bottles of wine. He said 'Four!' with raised eyebrows. I said 'Well two for me and two for my wife'. He smiled and said 'Off you go' - no charge. We used all four in our cabin.