Rivera departure to airport in Lisbon

seamac29

Hi everybody this will be our first time on Oceana we are going in October 2020 in the Mediterranean I just got a notice that the airline has moved up our departure time by an hour and a half so it now is departing Lisbon at 12:15 the Riviera is scheduled to be in at 8 o’clock in the morning on a Sunday we are staying in a concierge veranda suite I don’t know how fast one departs off the Riviera we have been on other cruises in the past and depending on what type of accommodations we were able to get off earlier at times Any thoughts on should we push back the flight if possible or will be OK and making it to the airport and getting on the plane  Thanks for any help

Edited by seamac29

Does your airline offer you the option of flying out the following day? I did look however and the cruise port and airport are only about 15 minutes apart. But you'd have to check in at 1015.

Yeah we have three dogs and a dog sitter so we pretty much have to leave that day so would be more about leaving later if at all but if it’s only 15 minutes away that’s pretty good I think we should be able to make it then thank you very much for replying

Anytime an airline changes a flight time, even by a really short time you have the option to change your flight at no charge even if non-refundable.  All it takes is a phone call to the airline and they have to change you without charge   Has to be before the day of the flight and seats have to be available but, does not depend on your fare categoy,

That said appears you are flying from Lisbon to New York so limited number of flights compared to flights between major US cities.  Your cabin category does not effect your disembarkation.    You could disembark with your luggage saving the waiting time for your luggage to be off loaded and be among the first off to save time if you can handle all of your luggage yourselfs.  Since traffic could be an issue if arriving on a week day, suggest you set up a private transfer beforehand.  If your trip includes an O transfer, you will need to wait until the bus is full which could delay you.  A private transfer is almost always less expesive than an O transfer so win one there.  Good luck.

21 hours ago, seamac29 said:

Hi everybody this will be our first time on Oceana we are going in October 2020 in the Mediterranean I just got a notice that the airline has moved up our departure time by an hour and a half so it now is departing Lisbon at 12:15 the Riviera is scheduled to be in at 8 o’clock in the morning on a Sunday we are staying in a concierge veranda suite I don’t know how fast one departs off the Riviera we have been on other cruises in the past and depending on what type of accommodations we were able to get off earlier at times Any thoughts on should we push back the flight if possible or will be OK and making it to the airport and getting on the plane  Thanks for any help

Are you doing early walk off with your luggage?   Or first group to disembark?  You should have plenty of time.  The airport is not too far from the cruise port.  Only about 15 minutes or less away, and little to no traffic on Sunday mornings.  Traffic is horrendous in Lisbon on weekday (workday) mornings.

Good luck.

Edited by Justalone

I've left the ship in Lisbon and it's easy.   There is a taxi line just off the ship and it works fine.   You have no problem making your flight.  I did notice, across the street is another taxi stand, that might be quicker, but Lisbon isn't Rome or Greenwich.

Our departure from Lisbon was a few years ago (2016, I think) and we left from a central Lisbon Hotel, not the port.  But what surprised us at the time was that once we cleared security, etc., when we got to the departure gate they cleared us again!  I don't know if they are still doing that ... Fortunately for us we were both using canes (legitimately!) and we didn't have to stand in the long line to show our passports ... again.

But I also think that if you leave the ship promptly (which you should be able to do) you won't have a problem.

Since I always worry about time involved,  I wouldn't use a ship transfer.  I'd order a car in advance, although probably a cab hailed in front of the port would suffice.  And just to be safe I'd lug all my luggage off the ship.  They want you off by 9am at the latest anyway.

23 hours ago, sitraveler said:

I've left the ship in Lisbon and it's easy.   There is a taxi line just off the ship and it works fine.   You have no problem making your flight.  I did notice, across the street is another taxi stand, that might be quicker, but Lisbon isn't Rome or Greenwich.

We have found that the taxi stand across the street is about half the price.

Generally when we've been in Lisbon -- which has been a number of times since 1984 -- we either haven't been cruising, or if we were,we spent time there before or after the cruise.  So we have never needed to transfer from the port to the airport (or vice versa).

That being said, cabs were easy from central Lisbon.  On our last time there we were traveling with Danish friends, and we had similar flight times to our destinations, so we pre-ordered a car service because we were four people with luggage.  Otherwise, if traveling alone, we'd just have called a cab.

Looking at what Shawnino and Sitatraveler said, I'd go for the cab.

Sunday morning traffic anywhere can be very easy ... we arrived on the QE2 in NYC on a Sunday morning in 2004 and left the ship early so that I could get home and to my church job that morning.  We had no problems.  Without traffic the cab to our home in Brooklyn Heights from the ship took maybe 20 minutes.  In bad traffic it could have been as much as an hour.

But that wasn't the case that Sunday morning ...

Mura

Thanks everybody for your really quick replies I’m sorry I didn’t come back sooner but I really value all the information given us it definitely has relieve my anxiety about making the flight Don’t know anything about early off the boat have a feeling we don’t have that I think I will possibly arrange to have a car meet us there sounds like a safer option just to be in on time