VPN on Princess

Bgwest

I typically use a VPN when accessing the web via an unsecured WiFi. Starbucks, airport, etc. 

I’ve never routed through a VPN while on Princess. 
Is it possible to use a VPN while onboard a Princess ship?
Do they block VPNs?

• Like 1

I have a personal VPN server running on my home router and leverage OpenVPN on my mobile devices for connecting to my home securely. No issues with using VPN while at sea on Princess. But, as Princess seemingly relies on IP addresses for location purposes, my medallion class app showed “off ship” whenever I had  VPN enabled, thus I could not use all of the app functionality.  I generally toggled VPN on/off depending on what I was up to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Google Fi phone uses their VPN by default. The only issue I ran into was when I was using my Elite minutes, I couldn't logout because MedallionNet uses their own DNS service to assign IP addresses to logout.com.  Once I figured that out I toggled it off when I need to logout.  I'll need to check the location function on the next cruise, I thought they relied on their transponders, but, a combination of IP & responders would make sense. At the college I work at we can track locations based on WiFi access points, When you conect you sign-off on letting us "track" you, more for safety purposes. Let's not even talk about that anymore 🙂

29 minutes ago, Baystate said:

I was on the Regal last year and my vpn worked except to access my Princess at sea account. I had to shut it off for that, but connected it as soon as I was done looking at my folio

That makes sense.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'd like to ask a question about NordVPN.  We're doing a 30 night Majestic Princess this coming September (2022) and wanted to know what the procedure if I have a Nord account.  How does it work with the onboard wifi, especially when at sea days?

Thank you, I'm new to both VPN and extended sea days and the ship's wifi.

Since asking the question some time back, I've learned a lot about shipboard VPN. The success or lack thereof using any VPN is going to depend on 1) where in the world you are using it and 2) on which ship. 

Review the many online descriptions on the latitudes at which MN works best and those latitudes where it falls on its face. Outside of MEO coverage, it's difficult (I've often found it to be impossible) to have a workable signal without VPN inserted into the mix. With VPN, you'll likely get nothing. 

Within MEO coverage, it will largely depend on the ship. For example, my experience has been that the wifi signal on the CB is generally very good while the wifi on the Emerald is "the worst wifi at sea". 

As @Steelers36has so accurately summarized, YMMV.

• Like 1