Possible Greenland Promotion

Crazy For Cats

Over the weekend I saw a promotion that had strong appeal as it included the Greenland cruises in 2021.  The link to the promotion is: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22281-holland-america-adds-greenland-to-canada-new-england-for-2021.html

I reached out to my PCC this morning asking if this was a legitimate offer.  If it was I wanted to add it to my 8/12/2021 sailing.  She quickly called me back, we discussed the details (free gratuities, tips and dinning package) as a plus she said that I would also get more OBC.  I agreed  to upgrade to a suite, from a lanai, and when I got home from running errands the updated confirmation only showed the increased OBC, no perks.  When I asked her about this she then told me that the promotion was not available for this cruise.  She also indicated that no one at HAL is aware of the promotion. 

My question to her was why then did she offer them to me to only take them away.  If she had told me up front that the promotion didn't apply I would have said ok leave things in place.  After some more discussion I am back in the lanai.  I'm very annoyed with the PCC at the moment.  In the past she has been pretty good.

It looks like the article you linked to is misleading in that it infers that the Greenland cruises are included in the promotion.  There is such a promotion for many itineraries including Canada/NE but it seems to be only for itineraries (in Canada/NE) of up to 11 days in length. 

I can't really explain the PCC not knowing this at the time of your initial discussion other than maybe she was talking generalities rather than specifics.  She should have confirmed with you before changing the booking once she realized the perks weren't applicable on the Greenland itineraries.  Maybe give her another chance and if something like this happens again, change your PCC.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

To my knowledge there is no promotion at all for Canada & New England for 2021. 

The View and Verandah that gives loacation upgrades, onboard credit,  10 %shore excursion discount, free/reduced kids (when sailing as 3rd or 4th), reduced deposit and free gratuities (suites only) applies to "select" 2020-21 sailings (generally May 2020 to April 2021 sailings, with some exclusions)

There is a an "all-inclusive" promo for Europe sailings for 2021 that includes the Signature Beverage Package (guests 1&2 only), free gratuities (guests 1&2 only), $500 onboard credit per cabin and and air discount of $800 per person ( guests 1&2 only, when booking through HAL Flight Ease system).  Suites also receive a dining and internet package (guests 1&2 only).  Perhaps the PCC was confused by that offer?

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

5 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

In reading the news release supplied in the link, it seems to say that the Greenland cruises would be included in the suite promo.  Maybe you should refer the PCC to her own press release.

I shared the link with her in my original request for a review.

OP, I would push this harder with HAL.  Here is the official press release from Carnival:  https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/greenlands-dramatic-landscape-added-select-holland-america-line  which does state that there are those perks with these 17 day cruises when booking a suite. 

I thought the first link you provided was just an article but I see that it's almost verbatim from the press release.  Maybe if you provide the press release from the Carnival website, it may have more influence with your PCC.  If not, get another PCC!

10 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Wonder which ship is doing Voyage of the Vikings.

Also, noticed none of those 17-day Canada/Greenland include Prince Christian Sund.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed in HAL's Greenland offerings for 2021. For now I have tentatively booked with Oceania, as I want to go to cruise to Greenland (including more than one stop and also Prince Christian Sound) before it is no longer possible...  They have the best itinerary going (for 2021) at this point, but it ain't cheap.

I am booked on the August 12, 2021 cruise and received the promo you are talking about.  I first found it on HAL's blog:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/canadanew-england/greenland-added-to-2021-canada-and-new-england-itineraries/

I asked my TA about it and she didn't have anything on it, so I sent her the link to the blog.  She contacted HAL and they found the promo.  She was told it was for booking a guaranteed suite SB.  I had booked a category SA suite across from the Neptune Lounge and I was told that I couldn't get the promo.  I downgraded to SB guarantee and now have the promo.  I then called the HAL number and acted like I was going to book this cruise and asked about the promo and was told the same thing that my TA had told me.  The only place I have found anything about this promo is on the blog.  For some reason it is not publicized.  

These are the terms of my booking.  I did have to pay a non-refundable deposit but I booked it when the deposits were $25 pp.

TERMS OF OFFER:
Book a suite on any 2021 Canada & New England cruise and receive free drinks, 
free dining package and free gratuities. This promotion has a 50% reduced
non-refundable deposit. Signature Beverage Package: Has a daily limit of 15
beverages. Excludes beverages priced over $11.00, and purchases made in
Signature shops, In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Is not
transferable or refundable. Signature Dining Package: Receive one complimentary
Canaletto Dinner and one complimentary Pinnacle Grill Dinner per person.
Reservations and dining times will be assigned and confirmation card will be
placed in your stateroom upon embarkation day. Holland America will prepay the
suggested Hotel Service Charge on behalf of the guest. This does not include
gratuities added for bar charges, dining room wine or Greenhouse Spa and Salon
services. This pre-payment applies to 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom and
cannot be applied to any other services or merchandise. 

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

OP, I would push this harder with HAL.  Here is the official press release from Carnival:  https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/greenlands-dramatic-landscape-added-select-holland-america-line  which does state that there are those perks with these 17 day cruises when booking a suite. 

I thought the first link you provided was just an article but I see that it's almost verbatim from the press release.  Maybe if you provide the press release from the Carnival website, it may have more influence with your PCC.  If not, get another PCC!

Thank you for the link I passed it along to my PCC.  I received a reply a few minutes ago stating that the deposit would be non refundable.  Also that I had to take a guarantee category.

4 minutes ago, mfanderso said:
These are the terms of my booking.  I did have to pay a non-refundable deposit but I booked it when the deposits were $25 pp.

TERMS OF OFFER:
Book a suite on any 2021 Canada & New England cruise and receive free drinks, 
free dining package and free gratuities. This promotion has a 50% reduced
non-refundable deposit. Signature Beverage Package: Has a daily limit of 15
beverages. Excludes beverages priced over $11.00, and purchases made in
Signature shops, In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Is not
transferable or refundable. Signature Dining Package: Receive one complimentary
Canaletto Dinner and one complimentary Pinnacle Grill Dinner per person.
Reservations and dining times will be assigned and confirmation card will be
placed in your stateroom upon embarkation day. Holland America will prepay the
suggested Hotel Service Charge on behalf of the guest. This does not include
gratuities added for bar charges, dining room wine or Greenhouse Spa and Salon
services. This pre-payment applies to 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom and
cannot be applied to any other services or merchandise. 

I booked while on board with a 100 deposit pp.  I really dislike nonrefundable deposits.  I have to reconsider since it is a long way out and neither of us have the time approved off from work.

Got the info on this from my PCC just now.  The "deal" is for categories BC and SB only and ONLY for guarantees.  The fare is non-refundable also.  You get free grats, free drinks and dining package.

Since these cruises are 18 months out, I will not do a non-refundable deal.  Plus, the fares I am seeing I feel are fairly high so I am betting that they will come down over the next 18 months.

Thanks for everyone posting information, as I was in the middle of booking one of these cruises!

45 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Got the info on this from my PCC just now.  The "deal" is for categories BC and SB only and ONLY for guarantees.  The fare is non-refundable also.  You get free grats, free drinks and dining package.

Since these cruises are 18 months out, I will not do a non-refundable deal.  Plus, the fares I am seeing I feel are fairly high so I am betting that they will come down over the next 18 months.

Thanks for everyone posting information, as I was in the middle of booking one of these cruises!

I'm inclined to agree with you.  There are many chances for similar or better promotions between now and then.  I'll hope for a good Thanksgiving sale.

Just now, Crazy For Cats said:

I'm inclined to agree with you.  There are many chances for similar or better promotions between now and then.  I'll hope for a good Thanksgiving sale.

I seem to be able to refare every cruise lately 1-3 times before sailing.  Of course, I tend to book 6-18 months out so that I can pick my cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1