What can you carry on/off the ship at ports?

GracyandGravy

If the route or ship matters, specifically I'm talking about a Panama Canal crossing on the Joy. 

I'm extremely hypoglycemic and always carry a packaged protein bar for a quick snack if I need one that won't make me crash the other way. Will I be allowed to have it in my purse or backpack when we leave or return to the ship? 

If the item is still sealed in the manufacturer's packaging unopened most ports will likely be ok with it. You won't be able to find this on the ship except the little cereal boxes so you'd have to bring it on. The dailies will mention any restrictions at the port. Meats and fruits seem to be the most excluded items so I'd suggest bars without either. Though if there's a food sniffing dog they might hit on your bag just as an fyi. 

If it's still unsealed they may let you bring it back on board. I'm guessing that is often up to whoever is working the scanner at that time. Most of the time they don't make me empty my reusable water bottle, but I've definitely seen them do that. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GracyandGravy said:

If the route or ship matters, specifically I'm talking about a Panama Canal crossing on the Joy. 

I'm extremely hypoglycemic and always carry a packaged protein bar for a quick snack if I need one that won't make me crash the other way. Will I be allowed to have it in my purse or backpack when we leave or return to the ship? 

We’re on a Panama Canal cruise on the Gem now.  The Freestyle Daily has stated for each port that no food may be brought ashore, but no one has checked bags at any port except at Puerto Vallarta; however, it was a cursory search and I have no idea what they were looking for.  It’s the general wisdom on here that you are okay bringing something ashore that is sealed in the original packaging, as noted in the comment above.  You might want to call NCL’s special needs Dept and speak to them about this.  (As for returning to the ship, it’s common for guests to bring back food purchased ashore in its sealed packaging, such as chocolate.  I can’t imagine you’d have a problem bringing a sealed protein bar back on board.)

Just now, smplybcause said:

Most of the time they don't make me empty my reusable water bottle, but I've definitely seen them do that. 

On the Gem now, they have made everyone dump any liquids when returning from ports.  They have a big barrel next to the security scanner just for this purpose. 

• Thanks 1

I always find it better to empty my water bottle just in case.  One you are on board there is nowhere to empty them if they are found and you will lose the bottle.   This may be even more important no if they have changed from bottled water to some other container.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Puerto Vallarta; however, it was a cursory search and I have no idea what they were looking for.

I don't recall seeing it in Puerto Vallarta (I was on a ship excursion so I might have missed it) but when we visited Cabo San Lucas there was table full of fruits on the tender pier on shore and people were being pulled aside to leave any fruits from their bags on the table.

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

On the Gem now, they have made everyone dump any liquids when returning from ports.  They have a big barrel next to the security scanner just for this purpose. 

It's definitely hit or miss - on the Breakaway in Oct they didn't ask me to empty it once. I'm not not emptying it on purpose, it's just in my backpack and I forget and, for me, they often don't ask me to empty it. Not sure if it has anything to with being a stainless steel water bottle? I've had a friend behind me in line with a clear reusable water bottle be told to empty his but mine went through ok (by the time they asked him to empty it mine was already in the xray machine). 

Just now, smplybcause said:

It's definitely hit or miss - on the Breakaway in Oct they didn't ask me to empty it once. I'm not not emptying it on purpose, it's just in my backpack and I forget and, for me, they often don't ask me to empty it. Not sure if it has anything to with being a stainless steel water bottle? I've had a friend behind me in line with a clear reusable water bottle be told to empty his but mine went through ok (by the time they asked him to empty it mine was already in the xray machine). 

Like you, we only did not empty our bottles because we’d forgotten. It wasn’t intentional. 

And we’d never have known there was a dump bucket had we not needed to empty our bottles. I don’t think folks have to worry about refillable bottles being confiscated. 

During our April 1 partial Panama canal sailing we were told at the early morning muster before getting off the ship for our 7+ hour excursion that we "absolutely were not (wink wink) allowed to exit the ship with food, and that we (wink wink) absolutely should not use the next 30 minutes to make sure we didn't have snacks with us." People got up an hustled to the "not buffet" and came back with "not-food".

I already had a packet full of items to keep my crew sane i.e. bagels from the buffet, protein bars from home and probably the most illegal thing - apples.   I brought sandwich sized ziplock bags for just this purpose.  

10 minutes ago, Alymark said:

Has anyone brought a case of water onto the ship in their checked luggage and had a problem with it?  

You are not permitted to bring water on board. Put that case in your checked luggage and you’ll be spending your first evening going to the naughty room instead of enjoying your cruise. 

11 hours ago, Alymark said:

Has anyone brought a case of water onto the ship in their checked luggage and had a problem with it?  

RCL allows you to bring water and soda in your checked bags. I'm disappointed I can't bring my Coke Zero on board but I certainly don't want to spend any time in the naughty room!

I would get a Dr's note  this may help if they give you an issue. And I would also get some hard candy (not sugar free) that can boost  your sugar up. They make candy totally sealed.Like lifesavers or jolly ranchers in the grocery dept. Not the best idea , however when getting off of the ship and if there is a coffee shop near by get some sugar packets. get a bottle of water and then you have something in case of emergency.

Pharmacies sell glucose tablets or glucose gel that you can carry in your purse.

But I would call the access desk as well and let them know  866-584-9756 .

We have never ever had a problem getting off of the ship with bottle water. BUT You can't bring it back on board. If you buy liquor in port ---that you can bring back on board and they will hold it for you till the last night when they do deliver it to your room for disembarkation.  Coming back on the ship they make you dump  the water bottles in the trash.