Passenger "Fell" from 10th deck off of Oasis in San Juan

11 minutes ago, F27TW said:

He must have been really loaded drunk (or otherwise) to actually die from a fall off Deck 10 into the water  .. esp since the ship wasnt moving.   It's high, but I wouldnt think  that would be enough of a drop into the water  to kill you .. but then again its all in how you hit the water, i suppose .. so he hadda be wasted and then  drowned.

The latest press releases state that this was intentional. If he wanted to die, I am sure he took the precautions to do just that.

18 minutes ago, F27TW said:

He must have been really loaded drunk (or otherwise) to actually die from a fall off Deck 10 into the water  .. esp since the ship wasnt moving.   It's high, but I wouldnt think  that would be enough of a drop into the water  to kill you .. but then again its all in how you hit the water, i suppose .. so he hadda be wasted and then  drowned.

Reports are saying it was a 177 foot drop.  

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Reports are saying it was a 177 foot drop.   When landing on a hard surface, it is highly unlikely a human body can survive (i.e. live, but with substantial severe injuries) a fall of 50-60 feet.  Water, despite it being a liquid, is not a soft landing platform.  177 feet is almost 54 meters.  Pretty high and a body is gain velocity as it falls so not just hopping off a low diving board. 

If indeed the man jumped intentionally, he could have been high or very drunk and since the ship wasn't moving, just thought he'd take a late night swim.  (Pure spec, folks).

6 hours ago, F27TW said:

And you would be wrong.  That would be at least a 100 foot drop.  It would be like hitting a cement pad, unless you are a professional diver.

We have several bridges over 100 ft in height and the survivor rate is extremely low, intentionally or not if the person left the bridge.

Wow, this turned ugly fast.  Why can't everyone just calm down and reflect on the seriousness of the matter.  Obviously, a troubled individual was in such a state of despair as to do the unthinkable.

I just can't imagine how an event that is supposed to bring joy and frivolity (a vacation) can be transformed into a tragedy for that person.  Incredibly sad.

29 minutes ago, gatour said:

And you would be wrong.  That would be at least a 100 foot drop.  It would be like hitting a cement pad, unless you are a professional diver.

Agreed... has anyone reading this forum ever dove off of a regulation 10m Olympic diving platform? I have. That's only 33ft.

A diver off an Olympic platform hits the water at approx. 35 miles per hour.... if slightly off angle or head not tucked in properly, you feel a world of hurt. I just couldn't image a 100ft platform to dive off, let alone accelerating at 32 feet per second and not being prepared to hit the water at that speed with the correct angle of the body and head tucked in. 

• Clarea locked this topic