Jogging Track

Laurafam

I have never heard of official restrictions related to the jogging track. If you were a real heavy footed runner at 5am, you might get someone to come outside and give you a dirty look. Also, it can be quite slick very early in the day.

Edited by neverbeenhere

15 minutes ago, Laurafam said:

Does the outdoor jogging track have hours or age restrictions, similar to the gym?

If you are speaking about Royal Class ships then no restrictions except for weather. The track is on deck 18 well away from any passenger areas.

I like to run the Promenade early, but it is closed in the early am, and also since there are cabins affected by your running, it is polite to step lightly and not go too early. Some people run it at any time, but it does get crowded, and I think it is quite rude to be shoving past the people who are walking when it gets crowded.

The jogging track on 18 does not impact anyone, but weather and waves very much impact that deck.  I have not seen any rules regarding age or closing times.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

I like to run the Promenade early, but it is closed in the early am, and also since there are cabins affected by your running, it is polite to step lightly and not go too early. Some people run it at any time, but it does get crowded, and I think it is quite rude to be shoving past the people who are walking when it gets crowded.

The jogging track on 18 does not impact anyone, but weather and waves very much impact that deck.  I have not seen any rules regarding age or closing times.

Have never seen the promenade deck closed. Other then wind/fueling and the stairs to the upper section from sunset to sunrise.

19 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Have never seen the promenade deck closed. Other then wind/fueling and the stairs to the upper section from sunset to sunrise.

Right. I should have been more specific. The front closes. Sometimes the crew seems to forget until well after sunrise. I know, because my wife kicks me out of the room and I am always up very early looking for something to do, while she sleeps in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

On the Royal, I have seen the entire starboard side closed for work.  But almost no one would consider that discontinuous abomination to be a "jogging track."  

Royal Princess? The track on the Royal Princess is a 360 degree flat loop, I think around 7 laps to the mile. On every ship sections may be closed at any time for work.

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I’m an early morning walker ... often before dawn. And, I’ve seen the Promenade Deck closed on many occasions. Especially if there is any wind and sea spray making the deck particularly wet. Some mornings, just one side of the deck is closed.

16 minutes ago, BigGuy25 said:

I’m an early morning walker ... often before dawn. And, I’ve seen the Promenade Deck closed on many occasions. Especially if there is any wind and sea spray making the deck particularly wet. Some mornings, just one side of the deck is closed.

I thought that’s what I said.  🤔

I've run on Royal class ships' tracks at all hours of the day.  It can be noisy to those immediately below...in the gym.  Not really been a concern of mine though.  We frequently run by 5 AM, but as mentioned earlier it can be slick that time of day when workers hose the surface down / squeegee it dry.  

Side note, while it states it is 7 laps to a mile...it is not.  Our GPS routinely measures it to be more like 6 laps to a mile in the outer (run) lane.  Of course that GPS measurement was done while in port using a calibrated device that measures exactly on for a 400m track on land using GPS.

22 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I thought that’s what I said.  🤔

Sorry, I’ll try to be clearer for you. I walk early every morning and often find the Promenade Deck closed.  Always for weather reasons, often for no apparent reason at all. On our Mediterranean voyage last October the seas were calmer than I’ve ever seen them, with no bad weather at all, and the Promenade Deck was closed (both sides) every morning.

1 hour ago, BigGuy25 said:

Sorry, I’ll try to be clearer for you. I walk early every morning and often find the Promenade Deck closed.  Always for weather reasons, often for no apparent reason at all. On our Mediterranean voyage last October the seas were calmer than I’ve ever seen them, with no bad weather at all, and the Promenade Deck was closed (both sides) every morning.

Good to know. My son and I are both early risers. He's too young for the gym and it doesn't open very early. I was hoping the track was a good early morning option. Sounds like it's hit and miss.

31 minutes ago, Laurafam said:

I was hoping the track was a good early morning option. Sounds like it's hit and miss.

You shouldn't have a problem.  I was referring only to the Promenade Deck.  The jogging/walking track (usually the deck above the Lido Deck) is always open for your morning walks.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:44 AM, dweidensaul said:

Side note, while it states it is 7 laps to a mile...it is not.  Our GPS routinely measures it to be more like 6 laps to a mile in the outer (run) lane.  Of course that GPS measurement was done while in port using a calibrated device that measures exactly on for a 400m track on land using GPS.

I hate running laps because I always lose count. Because we track our mileage on land using a GPS app, we know how long it generally takes us to go a certain distance. Thus I simply set a timer and run/walk until the timer goes off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I hate running laps because I always lose count. Because we track our mileage on land using a GPS app, we know how long it generally takes us to go a certain distance. Thus I simply set a timer and run/walk until the timer goes off.

I use a baseball pitch counter.  You can get one at Dicks Sporting good.

1 hour ago, Daniel1313 said:

I often find walkers walking 3-4 abreast and makes it tough to get by while jogging.  

It is a common problem. It's easy to be oblivious to those around you. Seniors lose their peripheral vision too. On the Royal class of ships the track is marked for walkers on the outside and runners on the inside.

8 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

It is a common problem. It's easy to be oblivious to those around you. Seniors lose their peripheral vision too. On the Royal class of ships the track is marked for walkers on the outside and runners on the inside.

haha...  Like anyone follows that.....

• Like 1