Online Checkin

wowzz

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just had an email to say we've been "selected" for online check in next week. I'll be interested to see if I still look anything like the one they have on file for me!

They take the picture from your passport when you arrive in port. 

Very easy process though. 

Andy 

In practice how does on line checking work and what advantages does it give?

I assume you don’t have to go through the normal arrangements of queuing to have your photo taken, registrating a credit card and being issued with your cruise card.

If on line check in means that once through security you can immediately board the ship then there is an obvious advantage. However if you still have to queue or go through any of the above procedures what’s the point, or am I missing something.🤔

Edited by P-L-B

1 hour ago, P-L-B said:

In practice how does on line checking work and what advantages does it give?

I assume you don’t have to go through the normal arrangements of queuing to have your photo taken, registrating a credit card and being issued with your cruise card.

If on line check in means that once through security you can immediately board the ship then there is an obvious advantage. However if you still have to queue or go through any of the above procedures what’s the point, or am I missing something.🤔

By checking in online, you register your card and passport details etc. 

You still show your passport where they scan your picture but your card is ready. 

It took less than 2 minutes I guess then we were directed straight to security. 

As a trial, it is working great if you are selected as everyone else queue in the normal way and you go to a separate desk. 

My feeling is it will enable them to have less check in staff, so a money saving exercise rather than too much benefit to passengers. 

Andy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

By checking in online, you register your card and passport details etc. 

You still show your passport where they scan your picture but your card is ready. 

It took less than 2 minutes I guess then we were directed straight to security. 

As a trial, it is working great if you are selected as everyone else queue in the normal way and you go to a separate desk. 

My feeling is it will enable them to have less check in staff, so a money saving exercise rather than too much benefit to passengers. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy for the explanation.

Hopefully we will be selected for the trial for our Oceana cruise in April or our Iona cruise in late June.

Obviously the reason that we have been chosen is that we are very, very important people.! At the end of the day, we will still be struggling with  the shower curtain!

I'm still not sure why we have been selected for the "honour " of online check in. Just wondering why we are one of the chosen few. 

It does mean that I can get on board early to watch the France/England match, but I have to find a distraction for my wife   - any ideas?  Not sure that telling her that she looks really tired and needs a three hour sleep is the best start to a cruise!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Obviously the reason that we have been chosen is that we are very, very important people.! At the end of the day, we will still be struggling with  the shower curtain!

I'm still not sure why we have been selected for the "honour " of online check in. Just wondering why we are one of the chosen few

It does mean that I can get on board early to watch the France/England match, but I have to find a distraction for my wife   - any ideas?  Not sure that telling her that she looks really tired and needs a three hour sleep is the best start to a cruise!

I wouldn’t get too excited about being one of the chosen few wowzz. I had an email from my TA this morning which said that all cruises from Southampton will have online check in (although not compulsory) from 19th January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Les_ldh said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about being one of the chosen few wowzz. I had an email from my TA this morning which said that all cruises from Southampton will have online check in (although not compulsory) from 19th January.

I'm not too excited!  Strange that your TA sent you an email today about something  that started a few days ago!

In any case,  we will turn up far too early (how long can you spin out a Premier Inn breakfast?) and hope to board as early as possible. Unfortunately my wife is not keen about waiting in a bar on Oceana until our  cabin is ready  - I'm hoping to entice her with a glass or two of Prosecco  - hopefully she will nod of so I can watch the rugby!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

They take the picture from your passport when you arrive in port. 

Very easy process though. 

Andy 

I wear glasses and when they take the photo at check in they ask if I wear them all the time before taking the photo. On my passport photo I don't have my glasses on. So using my passport photo wouldn't be the same.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not too excited!  Strange that your TA sent you an email today about something  that started a few days ago!

In any case,  we will turn up far too early (how long can you spin out a Premier Inn breakfast?) and hope to board as early as possible. Unfortunately my wife is not keen about waiting in a bar on Oceana until our  cabin is ready  - I'm hoping to entice her with a glass or two of Prosecco  - hopefully she will nod of so I can watch the rugby!

Not strange really, it was their weekly update email. Sounds like you’ve got a good plan there, have a great cruise 😀

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm still not sure why we have been selected for the "honour " of online check in. Just wondering why we are one of the chosen few. 

I had a word wowzz, they always listen to me... 😊

Mention my name at the bar and they won't charge you tax or tips on your drinks.. 

Fill Mrs Wowzz with food then park her in her bar of choice with a fancy cocktail, works for me everytime... 

Andy 

9 hours ago, emam said:

I wear glasses and when they take the photo at check in they ask if I wear them all the time before taking the photo. On my passport photo I don't have my glasses on. So using my passport photo wouldn't be the same.

It's the same for Michelle, but they still used her passport photo. 

Andy 

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

I had a word wowzz, they always listen to me... 😊

Mention my name at the bar and they won't charge you tax or tips on your drinks.. 

Fill Mrs Wowzz with food then park her in her bar of choice with a fancy cocktail, works for me everytime... 

Andy 

Thanks for looking after me Andy. Hopefully the excitement of a night in a Premier Inn will have worn Mrs W out, and she will retire to the cabin for an afternoon doze, aided by a couple of glasses of fizz.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for looking after me Andy. Hopefully the excitement of a night in a Premier Inn will have worn Mrs W out, and she will retire to the cabin for an afternoon doze, aided by a couple of glasses of fizz.

All you can eat breakfast before boarding.. I would be going dizzy with excitement.. 

Andy 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I too have been selected for online checkin. Maybe it is reserved for those people who have shower curtain issues.  Last year, in a ‘rock and roll’ situation, I fell through the shower curtain, out of the bathroom and straight into the wardrobe, the doors of which I had left open.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just had an email to say we've been "selected" for online check in next week. I'll be interested to see if I still look anything like the one they have on file for me!

We always do online check in with RCCL.

It is much quicker than waiting for your colour card and number on P&O.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Drop your cases at Ocean terminal and stroll 750 yards to 'spoons in Ocean village. A couple of pints of Doom Bar and cod'n chips starts the cruise nicely. It is a 'posh' 'spoon not a dive.

Nice idea, but I will have taken full advantage of the PI "all you can eat" breakfast, so won't be hungry. Couple of pints of Doom sounds good though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We always do online check in with RCCL.

It is much quicker than waiting for your colour card and number on P&O.

The staff didn't take our coloured card after we boarded our last cruise.  We get priority boarding.  Any offers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Sssshhh  Don't tell Wowzz.. its  a secret just between us.....

.. but  I heard that Lady Wowzz wont be in the least bit bothered about the football  …..  apparently she's looking for a younger model!!!!!!!!!!!

She's been looking for years !

• Like 1

I also got the email about online check in for our cruise this coming weekend. Only problem was that the system wouldn't accept my husband's passport dates (issue date to expiry date was more than 10yrs 9mths) so I was unable to take advantage of this. I rang P&O to get some help and after waiting a couple of minutes they were very apologetic and said this is a problem that they know about and are "working on it". Unfortunately I have to check in the usual way but should be okay as we have got priority boarding. 

• Like 2