Traveling alone with 16 year old daughter

charisseb

New cruiser here! We are cruising on Carnival Dream this April!! 

My daughter has my maiden last name and her birth certificate shows my maiden name and the father as "unknown".  I have married since she was born and have taken my husbands last name. Considering the differences in our last names is there any issues I should anticipate when checking in or going through customs? 

Also - I understand the benefits in getting her a passport but if for some reason we did not get a passport would her birth certificate and state issued learners permit suffice for documentation? 

Edited by charisseb

If you take a certified copy of your marriage license, it should have both your maiden and married name on it.  That will show that your name matches the one on your daughter's birth certificate.  I have no experience with this though.  I've just read about people suggesting bridge documentation when a last name is different on ID than on the birth certificate.

19 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If you take a certified copy of your marriage license, it should have both your maiden and married name on it.  That will show that your name matches the one on your daughter's birth certificate.  I have no experience with this though.  I've just read about people suggesting bridge documentation when a last name is different on ID than on the birth certificate.

After some digging I was able to come up with my declaration of informal marriage which of course does she my maiden name. This is really all I have to bridge our names together so hoping it will work! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A passport obtained at age 16 or more is good for ten years, while for a younger child, a passport is only valid for five years. Personally, I always wait until my kids are 16 before going to the bother and cost of getting them a passport.

The risk of course, is that an emergency arises and a land or air return is required, instead of returning by way of the ship. In a case like that, the lenient cruise rules about not having to have a passport on a closed loop cruise go out the window, and you'll need a passport for the land or air return to the US. That's a chance I've always taken with my six kids without ever having had an emergency. 

Ten years is a pretty good period of time, so I figure getting them a passport at 16 is kind of a little gift to them, good until they are 26. My last child will turn 16 later this year, so I'll get him a passport the next time he cruises.

Ironically though, he's been on so many cruises over the years, and is so engrossed in working (at 15, he can actually rebuild an engine, which is his grandfather shining through) and his girlfriend, that I'm not sure I'll be even able to get him back on a ship, at least anytime in the next few years. He went on an eleven day cruise last year and he says he's cruised out now. He may be my youngest, but none of my other kids have grown as fast as him, he acts like he's in his twenties.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, charisseb said:

New cruiser here! We are cruising on Carnival Dream this April!! 

My daughter has my maiden last name and her birth certificate shows my maiden name and the father as "unknown".  I have married since she was born and have taken my husbands last name. Considering the differences in our last names is there any issues I should anticipate when checking in or going through customs? 

Also - I understand the benefits in getting her a passport but if for some reason we did not get a passport would her birth certificate and state issued learners permit suffice for documentation? 

Do you have a passport? It would show your maiden name, so certainly no issue if you have one. Doubt they would even care given your first and middle name will match. A marriage certificate or your birth certificate couldn't hurt.

Yes, Learners Permit and Birth Certificate will suffice.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:13 PM, charisseb said:

How old is your daughter? Minors under the age of 16 do not need a photo ID. Just their birth certificate will suffice. For those 16 & up, it needs to be a photo ID, so the driver's permit would work if it has her photo. For kids 16, 17, & 18 years old, a school/student ID is acceptable.

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

15 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

How old is your daughter? Minors under the age of 16 do not need a photo ID. Just their birth certificate will suffice. For those 16 & up, it needs to be a photo ID, so the driver's permit would work if it has her photo. For kids 16, 17, & 18 years old, a school/student ID is acceptable.

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

daughter is 16. 🙂

So Every Cruise i have been on with my wife she always travels with her Birth Certificate and Photo ID. She has been married before so her birth Certificate shows her born with name, then we travel with her old marriage license and divorce decree, as well as our mariage license which matches the name on her Photo ID. 

We have never been asked for a bridging document and we travel with my step children who's names dont match either her birth certificate name or governament ID.......Never been questioned. But always good to be prepared.

Many times, this issue was never a question with Carnival or any other line when boarding, but did arise when returning through Customs at the end of the cruise.  USCPP agents were tasked with IDing any possible sex trafficking or child abductions and not having the same last name between a minor and an adult was a trigger to ask more questions.

Now with facial recognition screens replacing many active agent face to face interactions, the likelihood of being questioned by an agent is minimal.

Always nice to have a passport in a foreign country in case something goes wrong.

I show my ignorance but do not know where the Dream goes these days. (I loved the Dream when on her a few years back). Depending on where you are going a passport may be required. The "closed loop" does not apply to enter some countries. They should tell you this when you buy your ticket.

Also, be advised that some excursions may require a passport while the cruise does not. For example on our last Alaska cruise the excursion in Skagway up into Canada on the railroad required a passport.

All of this probably does not apply to you but, make sure you read the info they send your way.

You will have a great time.