Coronavirus

emmas gran

27 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Which is totally ridiculous, a guest with a chinese passport that has not been in the country for years will be banned boarding and yet a crew member who left Wuhan 16 days ago is welcome.

I don't know about NCL bur RCI clearly stated it only applies to guests and not crew.

Absolutely love it.  People on here have been clamoring all week for the Cruise lines to do something more regarding this outbreak.  Cruise lines finally act to ban everyone from the region where this is happening, and the reaction is 'oh, when we said do something, we didn't mean like this!'

At the end of the day, they did what they needed to do to keep their passengers and crew healthy.  I hope MSC enacts a similar policy.  Would make me feel a lot better about my trip later this month.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Absolutely love it.  People on here have been clamoring all week for the Cruise lines to do something more regarding this outbreak.  Cruise lines finally act to ban everyone from the region where this is happening, and the reaction is 'oh, when we said do something, we didn't mean like this!'

At the end of the day, they did what they needed to do to keep their passengers and crew healthy.  I hope MSC enacts a similar policy.  Would make me feel a lot better about my trip later this month.

But that is not what has happened is it, those guests with the wrong passport that have not been near asia in years are banned and those crew that have left the epicentre 16 days ago are welcome aboard.

Edited by ziggyuk

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

But that is not what has happened is it, those guests with the wrong passport that have not been near asia in years are banned and those crew that have left the epicentre 16 days ago are welcome aboard.

Better to be safe than sorry.  The vast, vast majority of infections are directly cause by and in people who are from China or who just left China.  These lines are effectively eliminating the remaining risk to an outbreak on their ships by eliminating the source of the outbreaks.  If much rather them be overly cautious here than not cautious enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Better to be safe than sorry.  The vast, vast majority of infections are directly cause by and in people who are from China or who just left China.  These lines are effectively eliminating the remaining risk to an outbreak on their ships by eliminating the source of the outbreaks.  If much rather them be overly cautious here than not cautious enough.

Seriously, did you only ready the first line, crew can board the ship after 15 days regardless of where they come from.

I beggars belief you consider they are "eliminating risk" by allowing crew to board at 16 days and ban guests for life (current rules).

Edited by ziggyuk

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

When I searched abc evening news I came up with this, which is slightly different .....they are cleared but waiting for conclusive test results. By definition that means current test results are inconclusive? This is a quote from rcl so no gaslighting. Or am I reading too much into this?

@BermudaBound2014

There are 4 types of Common Human Coronaviruses known and 2 types of Other Human Coronaviruses (MERS & SARS) , plus the

2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

Suspected patients can be tested with a Respiratory Pathogen Panel to rule out the 4 Common Human Coronaviruses and the Other Human Coronaviruses. These test can be done in hospitals and commercial labs. CDC is distributing CDC-developed test kits to qualified labs. These test kits allow faster testing for 2019-nCoV. Maybe Royal is waiting for test results from CDC for a few suspected patients ?

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Seriously, did you only ready the first line, crew can board the ship after 15 days regardless of where they come from.

I beggars belief you consider they are "eliminating risk" by allowing crew to board at 16 days and ban guest for life (current rules).

16 days is 2 days beyond the incubation period.  The crew members would have effectively been quarantined at that point so they are ok to board.  And the cruise line can control that.  They can't control what the average passenger is saying, so they are eliminating that risk.

1 minute ago, SirWolf said:

Maybe Royal is waiting for test results from CDC for a few suspected patients ?

This is my suspicion also. If anthem was 100 💯 cleared for sailing they would do so- Also no need to delay sailing by another 9 hours. The again, I’m suspicious by nature.

I wish the RCL would  Omit the ambiguous language about waiting until tomorrow for “conclusive” evidence. Either they have conclusive evidence and have been cleared to sail or they don’t. Poorly written press release or an “out”. Who knows.🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, Debate said:

Forgive me if these questions have already been asked ...  why are cruise ships treated differently than resort hotels, etc?  I could leave a resort if someone else gets sick in another room?  Do these quarantine rules apply to ships cruising in Caribbean waters or are these quarantines because they are in Asian waters?  We have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and I am more afraid of being quarantined than getting the virus!  One more questions ... who pays if you are kept on the ship beyond the time of your cruise? I was reading our cruise contract and it states "if you are required to remain on board the ship or elsewhere, due to injury, illness or disability or due to action of any government or authority, or for any other reason not the fault of the carrier, you must pay or reimburse Carrier for all resulting costs and expenses including for food, transportation, accommodations, medical and/or repatriation services for you and or those accompanying you.  Are these poor people being held hostage going to receive a bill at the end!  

I think your CC name says it all "Debate". You and I think alike and think of all the various angles. You brought up the points my husband and I are looking at as we consider whether or not to go on our 21 day South Pacific cruise. Kudos.

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is my suspicion also. If anthem was 100 💯 cleared for sailing they would do so- Also no need to delay sailing by another 9 hours. The again, I’m suspicious by nature.

I wish the RCL would  Omit the ambiguous language about waiting until tomorrow for “conclusive” evidence. Either they have conclusive evidence and have been cleared to sail or they don’t. Poorly written press release or an “out”. Who knows.🤷‍♀️

I mean they also need the clean bill of health for PR purposes. Better to wait an extra day, make it appear they are being overly diligent, and then let people board.

4 minutes ago, Beardface said:

I mean they also need the clean bill of health for PR purposes. Better to wait an extra day, make it appear they are being overly diligent, and then let people board.

I get it- I just don’t like the language being used as it implies the current test results are inconclusive. As I said, might just be me reading too critically.

35 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I get it- I just don’t like the language being used as it implies the current test results are inconclusive. As I said, might just be me reading too critically.

You are right but some lab tests are more complex than others. The result is not always clear (positive/negative) and some results are “false positive” for various reasons. Critical results sometimes require confirmation testing. In lab terminology ‘inconclusive’ means not positive and not negative, needs further testing.

I know that doesn’t help to explain why Royal used the wording in the press release.

I just want to describe the pressure of doctors, hospitals, labs and CDC during this worldwide health crisis. At the same time I am proud of scientist around the world working together to develop a vaccine.

CDC is shipping the CDC-developed test kit also to international laboratories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AviationInScale said:

I kindly provided a link in my post with supporting data. You can google the door welding on your own.

So your supporting evidence is an article in the Taiwan news that quotes a liqour store owner who saw different numbers? I will stick to the WHO for now.

• Like 2

Really not sure where to post this as so many other threads on this subject but just reporting on Sky News in UK that 5 UK nationals currently on holiday in a French Ski resort diagnosed with Coronavirus having been in contact with someone recently returned from Singapore!!

10 hours ago, renatops said:

Report that said Wuhan coronavirus can spread before symptoms was flawed

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/health/wuhan-coronavirus-flawed-report/index.html 

That's encouraging and I hope it turns out to be true.  This virus is so new that there's still a lot we don't understand about it.

The article did mention that someone could have mild symptoms (like back pain).  But if people don't attribute their mild symptoms to possible coronavirus, they are going to continue going to public places and traveling.

13 hours ago, AviationInScale said:

If any of you actually believe the casualty numbers being released by the CCP,  you are incredibly naive. There are over 25,000 dead right now. In a little over a month's time. There's a reason the Chinese Police are welding peoples' doors shut.

Umm. Those numbers were leaked from a company called Tencent, which is the largest online gaming company.  The also own social media and chat sites in china.  I'm inclined to believe Tenant's reports about as much as most of the crap I read on facebook.  

13 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

But not people who are prone to sneezing due to allergies (me) we are disease free to allowed to board. I just know I'll have a sneezing fit in the embarkation queue! 

LOL - I said cold, not allergy.

I live in Florida where we have pollen season.

It starts sometime in late December - January and go through around March.  Everything is layered with yellow pollen.

Sneezing and watery eyes are common.

It is easy to tell the difference between a fellow allergy sufferer and someone sick with a cold or flu.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, floridian1 said:

This is my fear too. and we are traveling from fl to italy for a med cruise in a few short weeks. the fear of being stuck on the ship (im not even worried about the actual virus)... many many illnesses cause fevers that are not coronavirus.

This is basically what we are dealing with too.  We have a Med cruise booked out of Italy in Mid May.  We are about 10 days out from PIF.  At this point we could cancel and turn into a land vacation in Italy.  My thoughts/ things we are questioning are--

1- I usually pick up a minor bug when I fly.  We have a week in Italy before the cruise which will give that bug enough time to present and possibly still make me appear sick, will I be denied boarding?

2- We both have seasonal allergies.  Never having been to Italy in the spring we have no idea how sneezy/ throat scratch we will be over there in May.  We will take allergy meds but some regions of the US I have ugly cry face for about two weeks despite being heavily medicated in the spring, will one or both of us be denied boarding due to allergies?

If we are denied boarding it will be a huge PITA, even if the cruise is refunded we will still be scrambling for hotel reservations and making plans for our extra time on land.  Verses if we just "call it" now before PIF and are able to rearrange our itinerary and book hotels for the additional days.

3- My husband getting this time off of work for the trip has been interesting, I cant imagine their reaction if we are quarantined for an additional 2 weeks or our ship is delayed docking because no one will accept us.

I am going to be watching this very carefully over the next week and am considering canceling the cruise for these reasons even though right now I still feel comfortable doing a land based vacation.  I wish we had another week or two before our PIF because I feel like by then we will have a better guess at how this is going to play out.

• Like 1