Coronavirus

emmas gran

21 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Umm. Those numbers were leaked from a company called Tencent, which is the largest online gaming company.  The also own social media and chat sites in china.  I'm inclined to believe Tenant's reports about as much as most of the crap I read on facebook.  

Even Tencent dispute the larger numbers - they say the screen grabs were doctored (they are even quoted saying this in the article). Taiwan news is not the most reliable source anyway when it comes to China (nor is the guy from the beverage store or the unnamed 'netizens' who seem to be the main sources of the story).

• Like 2

May I point out something related to mortality rates that seems to be ignored here and in many (most?) Media reports (including the reliable sources)?

Obviously,  the mortality rates will be higher in certain areas; specifically, areas with minimal or inadequate health care.  Wuhan is one of those areas - in fact, I'd suggest that the entire country of china has healthcare below US and European standards. 

Those areas will have higher mortality rates due to TWO issues:

1. Inadequate medical personnel,  medical facilities, etc for treating those who have become infected.

2.  A less healthy population before this epidemic even began.

12 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Obviously,  the mortality rates will be higher in certain areas; specifically, areas with minimal or inadequate health care.  Wuhan is one of those areas - in fact, I'd suggest that the entire country of china has healthcare below US and European standards. 

They built a hospital in 10 days.  Can you imagine what that facility is like?  I'm thinking it can't be much better than a warehouse. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

They built a hospital in 10 days.  Can you imagine what that facility is like?  I'm thinking it can't be much better than a warehouse. 

Agree, but at least they can monitor patients in a controlled environment other than risking patients at home infecting more people. A major factor of prevention is to identify suspected patients and quarantine for the time required.

6 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Agree, but at least they can monitor patients in a controlled environment other than risking patients at home infecting more people. A major factor of prevention is to identify suspected patients and quarantine for the time required.

Absolutley true.  CruisinCow is spot on.  In Wuhan (and I believe throughout China), there's little opportunity for treatment for those already infected.  But quarantine is essential - and I commend china for taking that action (and agree with the cruise ships that have done the same - pre-board or after boarding.

Edited by jkgourmet

1 hour ago, aprilF said:

This is basically what we are dealing with too.  We have a Med cruise booked out of Italy in Mid May.  We are about 10 days out from PIF.  At this point we could cancel and turn into a land vacation in Italy.  My thoughts/ things we are questioning are--

If i could cancel I would but we are paid in full now and with only basic travel insurance - its not worth the stress of the possibility of a foreign country quarantining our family for extended periods of time because of 1 person that could have coronavirus on our ship. Oh and we are traveling with our kids - and you know how easily they get sick with colds and stuff when traveling. This is so stressful. We are all taking higher that normal Vitamin C and will be starting elderberry soon too on top of the normal hand washing, sanitzier and never touching our faces with dirty hands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, floridian1 said:

If i could cancel I would but we are paid in full now and with only basic travel insurance - its not worth the stress of the possibility of a foreign country quarantining our family for extended periods of time because of 1 person that could have coronavirus on our ship. Oh and we are traveling with our kids - and you know how easily they get sick with colds and stuff when traveling. This is so stressful. We are all taking higher that normal Vitamin C and will be starting elderberry soon too on top of the normal hand washing, sanitzier and never touching our faces with dirty hands.

Its just my husband and I. We are in mid 40s.  He is very healthy usually.  I get regular infusions for Crohn's disease so I am considered immuno compromised because of the treatment I receive.  I stay on a baseline of C and elderberry once a day at all times, upping it when I feel sick, go on vacation (about a week prior I start) and a week before my infusions continuing for a few days after until I feel normal again.

My husband asked if I had considered face masks and I have.  Not for the traditional reasoning though.  I do tend to touch my face a lot and a mask would be a barrier/ reminder not to do that.

If we were traveling with kids I would be a lot more freaked out about the quarantine possibility.  I hope you arent impacted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

Come Monday and it is not the result they expect what then for all those who left the ship ?

Fingers crossed that those waiting get to sail.

I suspect most aren't waiting to sail. RCL paying up to $200 per night for a hotel. At this point, it's pretty clear that they do not have conclusive evidence that the crew was not exposed. If the crew were exposed, they will likely quarantine. It's much cheaper for RCL to pay a few nights hotel for it's guests than to have allowed Anthem to sail and then quarantine the entire ship for 14 days. Let's hope the Monday report is conclusive that there has been no CoV exposure. 

Anyone know why the US government isn’t stepping in to help or rescue the passengers on these quarantined cruise ship?  I heard there are 400 Americans on the Princess ship?  Seems like instead of them being hostages in Japan we could bring them back and quarantine them at one of the bases with the others transported out of China?  Just wondering?    

• Like 1

Just now, Debate said:

Anyone know why the US government isn’t stepping in to help or rescue the passengers on these quarantined cruise ship?  I heard there are 400 Americans on the Princess ship?  Seems like instead of them being hostages in Japan we could bring them back and quarantine them at one of the bases with the others transported out of China?  Just wondering?    

How would we bring them back if the ship isn't allowed to dock anywhere?  This isn't an aircraft carrier!  Also I believe that Princess wants to keep the ship in Asia to be positioned for future scheduled cruise itineraries.

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How would we bring them back if the ship isn't allowed to dock anywhere?  This isn't an aircraft carrier!  Also I believe that Princess wants to keep the ship in Asia to be positioned for future scheduled cruise itineraries.

The ship is allowed to dock to enable people to be taken off and for medics to go on along with food supplies, then the ship has to go out onto the open sea in order to replenish water for washing and drinking.

I agree with Jazzbeau, It would be foolhardy to take people from quarantine to another area where they would likely have to start the 14 days again plus as time moves on more may be taken off the ship if they have the virus.

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Latest press release from Anthem....... more use of my pesky 'conclusive' word:

image.png.596642ef62cee89a522fb3b2f3e76176.png

I'm not sure I understand why folks are concerned about the word "conclusive."  Merriam Webster dictionary definition  is "putting an end to debate or question especially by reason of irrefutability".

Why is that indecisive? 

Edited by jkgourmet

4 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Hi Dubai boarding Bellissima today  was good,no actual temperature check just the health questionnaire . We arrived at port around 9 am an d on the ship by 10 am in YC.

I'm sorry but it's  GOOD that no health checks  were done????????

• Like 1

From David Abel-

Sunday 9th February. 8am.

Japanese media TBS interviewed multiple sources from the Japanese gov and confirmed that the United States has let Japan know that it wants to repatriate 428 US citizens from the cruise ship Princess Diamond. The current plan is to bring passengers to US military bases in Japan directly to prevent them from entering Japan's land. The Japanese government is still considering how to make it happen properly.
Source: Japanese News Agency

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

I'm not sure I understand why folks are concerned about the word "conclusive."  Merriam Webster dictionary definition  is "putting an end to debate or question especially by reason of irrefutability".

Huh? Your Webster quote explains exactly why the use of the word “conclusive” especially in the contents of all the press releases, should have given folks a clue that the rCL was more concerned about anthem sailing than they let on. Have you been following the anthem saga? 

Perhaps I read things too critically, but “waiting on conclusive results” was a huge red flag for me. Turned out to be a accurate red flag. Coincidence? Lol

Let’s see if she leaves Monday night. 

ps- why say “folks” and not address me specifically? I’m the only one who has brought attention to the ambiguous wording. No need to wussyfoot around.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Why is that indecisive? 

I see you edited your post by adding a question so I’m thinking maybe you haven’t followed anthem  and this is an honest question. Let me see if I can explain....

1) Thursday during the day, folks were told to show up to port liberty 2 hours late.

2) Thursday night the story broke about the Chinese people who were sick and in isolation on the anthem.

3) Friday (embarkation day), 4 sick Chinese passengers were transported directly to negative pressure chambers to nj hospital 
4) Friday- rcl announced that even though they had been given clear to sail, departure would be delayed while they cleaned the ship. In other words, everything is fine, let's just clean. 
5) Later Friday, rcl announced embarkation would commence Saturday at 1:00, and while they had been given the clear to sail, they were waiting on “conclusive” word from the cdc that there was no COV onboard. I’m paraphrasing, but Enter the pesky word- conclusive here. At this time, a critical reader might conclude that the current tests were inconclusive- hence the need for  RCL to wait for conclusive evidence. I do understand that it could be read a different way (dh)- but to me it was ambiguous language chosen carefully.

6) 1:00 sailing turned into 10 pm sailing turned into possibly Sunday sailing turned into Monday sailing, all while RCL kept stating they were waiting for "conclusive" results. RCL knew why they were concerned. If they weren't concerned they would not have delayed the ship departure 4 times and they wouldn't have chosen the word 'conclusive' to use in each press releast. 

Thus, the use of the word  waiting for "conclusive' results in each press release very likely indicated that RCL was not satisfied that they were safe to sail, which thus resulted in a several delays.

Does that help explain? 

PS: The BEST NEWS just came out. The 4 Chinese patients taken to NJ hospitals JUST got the test results back and are negative for CoV. It's Saturday night at 8:20 p.m. I suspect this is conclusive. 

https://abc7ny.com/health/4-passengers-on-new-jersey-cruise-ship-test-negative-for-coronavirus/5914063/

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

From David Abel-

Sunday 9th February. 8am.

Japanese media TBS interviewed multiple sources from the Japanese gov and confirmed that the United States has let Japan know that it wants to repatriate 428 US citizens from the cruise ship Princess Diamond. The current plan is to bring passengers to US military bases in Japan directly to prevent them from entering Japan's land. The Japanese government is still considering how to make it happen properly.
Source: Japanese News Agency

So this is a possible plan to get them back to the US.  Now the question arises, do they now enter the US 14-day quarantine at military bases in California?  [I saw the picture of Princess balconies with difference passengers standing out a few feet from each other – if one of them is contagious, could the others be infected?]

• Like 1