Coronavirus

emmas gran

6 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

We're supposed to sail on the 18th and I've got my fingers crossed that's things are much more under control by then.  But if they aren't, it is my decision whether or not to cancel based on my calculations of the risk.

I agree with you 100%.  I just don't think that a business is responsible to give you a refund.

54 minutes ago, GrannyGear said:

I would think that cruise boats and planes would be the worst, followed by hotels and public places. I guess we shall see what we shall see.

We are booked on repo cruise from Dubai to Yokohama in March 2020 and expecting major changes of the itinerary. MSC will most probably skip Singapore, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. We are monitoring the situation and comparing the reported cases.

As of today:

Corona Virus 2019

- 31,530 confirmed cases

- 638 deaths

Flu Season 2019-2020 in United States

- 22,000,000 illnesses

- 210,000 hospitalizations

- 12,000 deaths

(sources: John Hopkins Corona Virus Map &

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

We are scared but keeping calm. It never crossed our mind to cancel the cruise. 6 weeks until embarking... 

Speaking of the flu, I would be ok with the cruise lines barring anyone with a fever, coronavirus or no coronavirus.  I don't want to be on a ship with people with the flu either!

The bad thing about the coronavirus, as opposed to the flu, is that you can be a carrier before you even have symptoms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Speaking of the flu, I would be ok with the cruise lines barring anyone with a fever, coronavirus or no coronavirus.  I don't want to be on a ship with people with the flu either!

The bad thing about the coronavirus, as opposed to the flu, is that you can be a carrier before you even have symptoms.

You can be a carrier, yes.  But the more time goes by, it looks like you aren't contagious until your symptoms start to show.  Which is a main reason why we haven't seen the numbers explode globally.

25 minutes ago, Beardface said:

You can be a carrier, yes.  But the more time goes by, it looks like you aren't contagious until your symptoms start to show.  Which is a main reason why we haven't seen the numbers explode globally.

I'm pretty sure being a carrier and being contagious are the same thing - you can transmit the virus to others.  But with most diseases, you are more likely to spread it to others when you have active symptoms.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

While the sheer number of people who have died from the flu this year staggers those who have died from the coronavirus...that isn't an accurate view of things.

FLU

Estimated 19,000,000 people have contracted the flu this year with 10,000 of those people dying.  Or 0.05%

CORONAVIRUS

Last check, 28,018 confirmed cases this month with 563 deaths.  Or 2.0%

Yes 10,000 is a tremendously larger number than 563.  But 2% vs 0.05% is equally as tremendous.  And we're talking 1 month of the Coronavirus vs 1 year of the flu.  Who knows what the numbers will be if the Coronavirus lasts for 12 months 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/02/04/coronavirus-cases-down-from-weekend-levels-as-china-predicts-fall-in-mortality-rates/

"fatality rate was 2.1% with the majority of deaths at the epicenter of the outbreak in Hubei province.
The average fatality rate was only of 0.16% outside of Hubei, with around 80% of those who died being over 60 years old. At least 75% of confirmed deaths were people who had underlying health problem such as diabetes"

We should.consider 0.16% for coronavirua, and not 2.1%, it seems.

I think the real mortality rate is still to be determined, it could be higher or lower but what we do know is 31,530 people are known to have contracted the virus, of those the topline figures are:

1.JPG.1eac9f0e3f2fe6c4d8f29a57f5488281.JPG

The other 29,128 people still have the virus their outcome is unknown and can fall in either of the two groups above.

For me, those 2,302 who have an known outcome from the virus it calculates to a 73% recovery rate and a 27% mortality rate.

The stated mortality rate is 2.1% and yes, if I calculate total infections by total deaths I do indeed get 2.02% but this is totally ignoring the unknown outcome of 29,128.

I only deal in facts and as far as I can see my figures are correct: 73% recovery rate and a 27% mortality rate.

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Finally.  Somebody who gets it. 

I suspect there may be more than one person who actually “gets it”, that person probably isn’t me, but there has to be more than two people on this thread who have an understanding of what is going on ;).

Meanwhile, No formal word yet on what is happening with westerdam and the 7 other ships (seabourn, crystal, costa, etc...) that have passengers onboard and no where to debark. HAL made a bad call with the stop in Hong Kong for only 800 passengers. They gambled and lost. Hindsight is wonderful.  Next few days will be interesting.

Royal is reimbursing anthem guests up to $200 for hotels tonight. A memo at noon today said they would be updating hourly. I haven’t come across another update yet, but hopefully someone can correct me. Anthem is currently set to sail tomorrow, but Royal is holding off for test results before committing to that schedule. I find that interesting.

ncl is making the pr move of the century. Pulling spirit from Asia until December 2020 appears the smartest business decision I’ve seen made. First, the Asian market isn’t big bucks. It’s not like they pulled their very popular Hawaii run. Second, even if CoV goes away, people will be hesitant to head to China anytime soon. 

the poor people on diamond princess are stuck aboard until feb 19 at the earliest. Rumor has it the clock will reset with each confirmed case. Even in a balcony cabin, That can not be fun. David has been quiet since he got his bananas. Workers on diamond princess are posting on social media- wish I were trilingual.

Im not panicked, but I Personally wouldn’t board anthem tomorrow without more factual test results being shared, especially if I had an inside or ocean view cabin. Right now rcl is wording things in such a way that there is an “out”. Unless they are committing that this ship will not be another diamond princess, i wouldn’t commit to boarding (obviously that’s just me). No panic, no hysteria. Simply  Not worth the quarantine risk to me. Odds of getting CoV aren’t particularly high, but unless quarantine was off the table, I’m out.

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean just banned all passengers with a Chinese or Hong Kong passport for the foreseeable future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html#click=https://t.co/Y8Oee875si

Effective immediately, if you have a passport from China, Hong Kong, or Macau you will not be permitted to sail on RCCL.  It does not matter what region you are from or how long it's been since you were there.

I would expect other Cruise lines to adopt similar policies as soon as tomorrow morning.

Edited by Beardface
added link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, js said:

I thought that the passenger(s) in question were tested and did not have the corona virus.  One actually has Influenza A, which I'm sure you know is all over the United States.

Guessing hotels are the same.

I'm on your sailing and hadn't thought to cancel.

Exactly the case. Four were taken to the hospital and one tested positive for the flu.  That's it, no coronavirus on the Anthem and she has been cleared by the CDC for sailing (ABC Evening News).

1 minute ago, sidari said:

BB ... You have to wonder where RCI are placed if any of those taken to hospital from Anthem are diagnosed as positive for the virus!

Of the four taken to the hospital, one tested positive for the flu. No coronavirus on the Anthem and she is cleared to sail (per ABC Evening News).

3 minutes ago, Talex831 said:

Of the four taken to the hospital, one tested positive for the flu. No coronavirus on the Anthem and she is cleared to sail (per ABC Evening News).

This article says one person was diagnosed with flu but the coronavirus results will not me known until February 8, at 1:00 p.m. EST from the CDC.

The article also says they are cleared to leave but have decided not to do so until the CDC results are known.

https://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/cruises/royal-caribbean-delays-anthem-seas-sailing-due-to-coronavirus-tests

20 minutes ago, Talex831 said:

Exactly the case. Four were taken to the hospital and one tested positive for the flu.  That's it, no coronavirus on the Anthem and she has been cleared by the CDC for sailing (ABC Evening News).

Do you have a link to support this claim? When I searched abc evening news I came up with this, which is slightly different .....they are cleared but waiting for conclusive test results. By definition that means current test results are inconclusive? This is a quote from rcl so no gaslighting. Or am I reading too much into this?

“We have also been cleared by authorities to depart on our next cruise as usual. However, to reassure concerned guests, we will delay our departure until tomorrow, when we expect to receive conclusive test results from CDC,” Royal said in a statement.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Just in case MSC does read these boards,

Dear MSC,

We are due to board the Armonia  on March 9.

Wild horses can't keep us from being there to board the ship.

We are thrilled about the dockside screening of all passengers for fever, chills, cough, etc.

Finally a cruise where those sick with the flu will be weeded out at embarkation.

Could you expand that to those with active cold symptoms?

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Norwegian has also banned anyone with a passport from China, Hong Kong, or Macau from boarding their ships.

Which is totally ridiculous, a guest with a chinese passport that has not been in the country for years will be banned boarding and yet a crew member who left Wuhan 16 days ago is welcome.

I don't know about NCL bur RCI clearly stated it only applies to guests and not crew.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Do you have a link to support this claim? When I searched abc evening news I came up with this, which is slightly different .....they are cleared but waiting for conclusive test results. By definition that means current test results are inconclusive? This is a quote from rcl so no gaslighting. Or am I reading too much into this?

“We have also been cleared by authorities to depart on our next cruise as usual. However, to reassure concerned guests, we will delay our departure until tomorrow, when we expect to receive conclusive test results from CDC,” Royal said in a statement.

No, I totally and completely made it up--JC.  I was watching the ABC Evening News with David Muir and that was what he reported.  Go to RCCL site and their statement says that they are cleared by the CDC, but will wait until 1:00 tomorrow to see test results. My God people need to chill-out. I'm sorry I even posted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Talex831 said:

No, I totally and completely made it up--JC.  I was watching the ABC Evening News with David Muir and that was what he reported.  Go to RCCL site and their statement says that they are cleared by the CDC, but will wait until 1:00 tomorrow to see test results. My God people need to chill-out. I'm sorry I even posted.

anthem has been further delayed. Now leaving at 10 pm tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

That is OK, Talex.

I actually read a statement from Royal Caribbean that said exactly what you quoted this afternoon.

It is unfortunate that there are so many who can't do the research but jump on anyone who can.

If you are speaking to me- I didn’t jump on anyone- I asked for a source to confirm. I also posted information directly from rcl that contradicts what the poster heard on the evening news. I would think we all want to deal with facts. I was in no way being critical of talex, as i would love nothing more than for rcl to have removed that pesky clause about waiting on “conclusive” results. 

ps- anthem further delayed 😞

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Just in case MSC does read these boards,

Dear MSC,

We are due to board the Armonia  on March 9.

Wild horses can't keep us from being there to board the ship.

We are thrilled about the dockside screening of all passengers for fever, chills, cough, etc.

Finally a cruise where those sick with the flu will be weeded out at embarkation.

Could you expand that to those with active cold symptoms?

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

But not people who are prone to sneezing due to allergies (me) we are disease free to allowed to board. I just know I'll have a sneezing fit in the embarkation queue!