Coronavirus

emmas gran

15 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

how crew gonna be on quarantine? and who is gonna operate the ship for 14 days ? feed them, cleaning etc . As we know this ship is not a proper place to be on quarantine . They send them home? On regular flights? Great!  what does not make sense for you exactly? 

Nothing on the ship to operate that I can tell (or very minimal). Box meals are being provided (no cooking). Box meals started last week.  They were already sending out laundry to be done off the ship (there were rumors about burning laundry too). There won't be anything to clean. Crew will be in their rooms. After two weeks, they send them home.

Of course, there was also talk about perhaps sending crew to hostiles to serve their quarantine so nothing with the CoV is written in stone.

56 minutes ago, ebonybee said:

I also wonder who the brave folks are that are willing to be the next set of passengers.  It is not me.

BOGO balcony at interior price. Free drinks + tips+ wifi + OBC. Interested? Some of us may.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ebonybee said:

I read somewhere that the estimated survival time for the virus on a hard surface is 9 hours but that’s based on the behavior of known coronavirus strains.

Do you think it’s extreme to actually throw away all sheets, mattresses, drapes, towels?? I would think a good bleach washing would take care of the towels and sheets. I’m suspicious.

41 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Do you think it’s extreme to actually throw away all sheets, mattresses, drapes, towels?? I would think a good bleach washing would take care of the towels and sheets. I’m suspicious.

Not at all.  I think everything  should be burned.  The ship should go into dry dock for MAJOR refurbishment.  I think tile floors can be left.

• Like 1

CDC warns Americans:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/white-house-requesting-125b-part-25b-plan-fight/story?id=69190968

Hard to tell what is political hype and reality, but one thing is certain- I don’t ever remember this much attention being paid to other viruses.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

From CNBC blog ...

3:52 pm: US health officials say human trials on coronavirus vaccine to start in 6 weeks

Human trials testing a potential vaccine for the COVID-19 coronavirus are expected to begin in six weeks, U.S. health officials announced Tuesday. “We are on time at least and maybe even a little bit better,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services, told reporters at a press conference. “Hopefully, no further glitches.”

The White House reportedly asked Congress on Monday for $1.25 billion in additional funding to bolster its coronavirus response, including money to develop a vaccine and therapeutics to treat the virus. The National Institutes of Health has been working with biotech company to develop a vaccine using the current strain of the coronavirus. —Lovelace

15 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

CDC warns Americans:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/white-house-requesting-125b-part-25b-plan-fight/story?id=69190968

Hard to tell what is political hype and reality, but one thing is certain- I don’t ever remember this much attention being paid to other viruses.

Let's see - the swine flu, SARS, MERS, Ebola,  and HIV come immediately to mind.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 2

While this virus is serious, the media is not helping matters. I’m sitting here watching the morning news and all that I have heard is how many people have become ill or have died but nothing stated that well over 30,000 are now considered healed from this virus. 

I also just read that Apple is now considering reopening some of their stores in China as they think the worst is over. A good start back to a sense of normalcy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

While this virus is serious, the media is not helping matters. I’m sitting here watching the morning news and all that I have heard is how many people have become ill or have died but nothing stated that well over 30,000 are now considered healed from this virus. 

I also just read that Apple is now considering reopening some of their stores in China as they think the worst is over. A good start back to a sense of normalcy.

The daily cases in China are declining. It's maybe 400 per day now while about 2000 people per day are discharged as fully recovered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Let's see - the swine flu, SARS, MERS, Ebola,  and HIV come immediately to mind.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I'm not old enough to remember most of these, but I do remember some of the more recent ones, and I do not recall one single ship ever being quarantined (diamond Princess), ships being refused entry in the east (ie, westerdam, dream world, etc..), nor do I remember a  single ship being turned away from a port in the Caribbean for fear of a virus (Meraviglia).

Please educate me. If a virus has had this much effect on the cruise industry, I honestly do not recall.

Aside from the obvious risk of contracting the virus, the practical implications of missing ports and/or being quarantined either on the ship or somewhere along the way back to the US is enough to keep me from going on my Mar 4 Grandiosa sailing which starts in Palermo.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not old enough to remember most of these, but I do remember some of the more recent ones, and I do not recall one single ship ever being quarantined (diamond Princess), ships being refused entry in the east (ie, westerdam, dream world, etc..), nor do I remember a  single ship being turned away from a port in the Caribbean for fear of a virus (Meraviglia).

Please educate me. If a virus has had this much effect on the cruise industry, I honestly do not recall.

You must be really young. 🙂  All of those except for HIV are fairly recent.
SARS - 2003
Swine Flu - 2009

MERS - 2012

Ebola - 2014

I know what you are saying though.  Swine flu is the only one of these that I remember affecting cruise travel and that was because it was in Mexico.  All the cruise lines diverted their Mexican itineraries to the Bahamas.  It was great business for the Bahamas but hit tourism in Mexico very hard.  

I don't remember ever hearing about a ship being turned away from a port or being quarantined for a month.  This is unprecedented.

• Like 2