How Much $ should I need for Sign & Sail / Onboard Credit

outatouch0

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect for our first crise this summer on Carnival Magic. How Much $ should I need for Sign & Sail / Onboard Credit? 

We are a family of 4, children 5 and 8.

I am thinking maybe we buy 1 soda a day each at most. Maybe a virgin pina colada or two. Possibly speacialty coffee each morning.

Our gratuties are pre-paid.

Not planning on Spa, picture pachages, alcohol, etc.

thanks as always

Edited by outatouch0

$100 per day at least?? Not with what the OP said they'd be buying.

I often spend $100 or less for the entire cruise. I realize that's lower than what most people spend, but from the sounds of it, the OP isn't planning on spending much. For example, on our cruise last month, I got a couple milkshakes (on the whole cruise), a bucket of beer one time, and we played in the arcade now & again. We don't do specialty restaurants, I don't drink coffee, and I didn't get any souvenirs. I only spent $65 on a 5-day cruise. Granted, that was the least I've ever spent, but I still only average around $100 on our cruises. We're a family of 3 and $100 each usually works just fine for us the whole cruise. My wife will get specialty coffees now & again and our son likes to get crab legs once or twice from the Seafood Shack. One or both of them might get the surf & turf one night in the MDR, which is $20. For the most part, we take advantage of what's included.

You could always take a 12-pack or two of your own soda, otherwise I think they're $2.50. Specialty coffees range between $2 - $4, roughly. I'm not sure what virgin pina coladas cost, but I'd guess between $8 - $13. Will your kids play in the arcade? Games range from about $1 - $3, but once or twice on your cruise they'll have a special "power hour" when many of the games will be 50% off. That'll be in your Fun Times. Buying souvenirs? From the examples you gave, it doesn't sound like you'd need $100/day, as the previous poster suggested, but probably more than what my family and I normally spend. Maybe some of my examples will give you an idea.

Edited by Organized Chaos

If this is your first cruise, take whatever you plan to spend and double it.  Spending on board is very easy and it is very easy to overdo it, and some purchases are hard to resist, especially with kids.  It's going to be hard to say no to Dr. Seuss breakfast and Build-a-bear.  Just make yourself plenty of financial cushion 🙂 

• Like 1

I know and can appreciate the need for wanting to prepare, but some of the planning can be excessive. It's hard to know how much you will spend, even with an idea of what you want. Why not bring a credit card and set guidelines with your family of what to spend? Maybe you will spend more, maybe you will spend less.

• Like 2

We are also a family of four, kids 7&9. I agree that around a $100 a  day is a good amount to plan for. If you don't spend that much great, but at least for us it would be enough. With the kids there is the arcade, any specialty dining you want to do, photos, gift shops, build a bear workshop, and drinks(milkshakes, soda) to name a few...We always think we're not going to spend a bunch as we pre pay gratuities as well, but it happens. Better to be prepared than not! HTH

We are a family of four.  There is my husband, 15 yo son, 16 yo daughter and myself.  I am budgeting $150 each person for the entire cruise.  We are bringing soda on board so that eliminates that expense.  I figured one drink (virgin for the kids) $12, one specialty coffee $5.95 per day for each of us. Of course I do have a 10% extra buffer for added comfort (I didn't tell them).  

I agree it's best to be prepared, but I've never really agreed with the (very common) advice that you should take twice as much money as you originally planned. Most people know how to manage their money and have a good idea of how much they splurge on vacation. Yeah, cruising is different, but in many ways, not so much. No matter the type of vacation, there's new things to do, new places to eat, souvenirs, and whatnot. Yes, you could easily spend more than intended on a cruise, but you can also make a conscious effort to keep spending in check. There's a lot of people who like to tell parents that onboard spending is a good opportunity to teach their kids to manage their money wisely, but then when it comes to the adults, the typical advice is, you're going to need more money!! My advice for the adults is the same...spend it wisely (or not, it's your money), splurge when you want, you know how to manage your own money better than anyone here. I don't agree with those who say the OP needs $100/day per person because I'm basing my thoughts off of the info. the OP gave us. They'll buy a few drinks, but they don't plan on doing the spa, photos, alcohol, etc. Sure, take a little extra just in case you change your mind about something, but to me it sounds like the OP has no intention to purchase a lot of the extras.

• Like 2

One other possible thing is night owls. I forget the rate. Most nights will be hourly, but one or two nights (depending on cruise length) will be a flat rate party.

Our kids love night owls, especially the parties.

Also, I know you prepaid gratuities, but some people tip their dining team and steward extra, especially if service is excellent. 

You will also need tips for porters at the port (arriving and departing). Also any room service tips (many room service items are free but tip not included).

Tips for excursion guides, also. 

13 hours ago, outatouch0 said:

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect for our first crise this summer on Carnival Magic. How Much $ should I need for Sign & Sail / Onboard Credit? 

We are a family of 4, children 5 and 8.

I am thinking maybe we buy 1 soda a day each at most. Maybe a virgin pina colada or two. Possibly speacialty coffee each morning.

Our gratuties are pre-paid.

Not planning on Spa, picture pachages, alcohol, etc.

thanks as always

I would say at a minimum $50 per day. That includes a soda each, a coffee or 2, a couple virgin drinks, and gratuities on the coffees, sodas, and virgin drinks that are not included in pre-paid gratuities. If you want to buy candy in the candy store, specialty dining, a photo or 2, a t-shirt, build-a-bear, or groovin for St Jude t-shirt all of that would be in addition as well.

Virgin Drinks, including 18% TIP, are $7 each.  Specialty Coffee $4.50 each.  Milkshakes $5.25

You can bring your own soda on board.  They allow one 12-pak per person -- they have to be cans... not plastic or glass.

Your looking at $38 a day for 4 drinks and 2 coffees.  So $100 will more than cover.

On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less, per person.  

31 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

We ALWAYS travel with more cash than I think we'll need.  It can always go back into the bank when we get home.  Better to have more than you need, than not enough!

This what I do. Any left over goes on my credit card or in the bank for the next cruise.

Laura

4 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Out of curiosity, I looked at my S&S statement from last month's cruise. One of my milkshakes was $5.31, the other was $5.71. Now that makes me wonder if I've ever been charged two different prices for the same item with other purchases.

Was one of them while in port?  That one would have a tax added.

• Like 1

If this is your first cruise, I do not care what you say about photos, you probably WILL stand for a few and WANT one of the 4 of you. We are a family of 4 and cruising is one of the only times the 4 of us can even get in a picture together! Pictures are expensive on board, but I have never regretted their purchase. 

We are not heavy drinkers. We usually bring on our bottle or 2 of wine and maybe soda, but we don't drink soda heavily. My girls LOVE virgin drinks from Alchemy Bar that are around $7 each. Hubby gets a few coffees, we each get drinks. I think the most our bill was on a 7 day was around $200. We did not do the Night Owls program, but that is extra. We never do build a bear or candy shop-there is free ice cream and way better desserts in the dining room;-) Just keep in mind if you are people who want a drink in hand for shows, comedy club, etc. Also stuff like bingo is a charge. 

And I will recommend for your first cruise that you try not to limit yourself to a strict budget of "We only put $150 in on board credit, so we must nickle and dime every expenditure we have." Like another said, set aside what you can afford and ENJOY your vacation. It is great to set limits like "1 soda a day, kids", but think before limiting things like photos or special experiences:-)

• Like 1

If you can try to buy your 12pack of sodas and bring it on board and then you can use more of the money for other things like the power hour arcade they discount the arcade during certain hours that's when I usually let my little one play games. You might see a specialty dinning on board and change your mind to book it . Also the free coffee is okay , but I buy maybe two from their cafe. You probably would like a picture their pictures usually around $30 I brought the $100 package for 5 photos and it turned out nice taking pictures in port and on board and you can choose the top 5 you want.

If it's like a 7 day cruise I say around $500 because you might want to buy something in port.