Currency Question

bubbachief

2 hours ago, bubbachief said:

Are Northern Ireland pounds and English pounds interchangeable?

Yes, all pounds in the UK are interchangeable. The only difference is Jersey and Guernsey where their notes need changing as they are not legal tender in the UK. However Northern Ireland and Scotland notes are hard to use to get other currency in foreign countries. All pounds have the same value .

The Pound coins are virtually the same so there is unlikely to be a problem with them. It's the N. Irish fives, tens and twenties  that are unpopular in England.

Edited by Bob++

29 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

It's the N. Irish fives, tens and twenties  that are unpopular in England.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with these, but what I do have suggests that they can be easier to spend in branches of bigger companies, possibly because staff training there is better. It's a bit of an irony when the eastern European youngsters who form a large proportion of the staff at places like Pret are better than the small corner shop full of locals at recognising what is and is not a legitimate example of our country's money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob++ said:

It's the N. Irish fives, tens and twenties  that are unpopular in England.

i think it is the fact that they are issued by 'Irish' banks that causes the problem on the 'mainland'.  N. Ireland notes are issued by Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Bank (among others) and when presented to a cashier who is uncertain of the legitimacy of the note, they tend to take the safe option and say 'No, thanks!'

40 minutes ago, bubbachief said:

I think I should get English pounds and then there will be no problems using them in N. Ireland, correct?

Where are you thinking of getting them? If your plan is to buy them before you travel, then you will actually find it difficult to get anything other than English notes. So that's really not something to worry about.

I assume Apple Pay/Google Pay and contactless cards are as widely accepted in Northern Ireland as in England?

Get £20-30 in cash, and use your card or phone. I probably got £80 on my last trip to London and I think used the bulk of them at Duty Free on the way home. You may need some cash somewhere (private tours, although frankly I'd just about stop dealing with anyone who can't take a card...), but not much.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

You may need some cash somewhere (private tours, although frankly I'd just about stop dealing with anyone who can't take a card...), but not much.

I like London Walks (walks.com) and they only deal in cash. It was about the only cash I used in London, but I had budgeted for the walks that I planned to take.

Thanks to all the replies. I usually get currency out of a ATM, but will have limited opportunity to do so this trip. I know I will not get not the best exchange rate, but will have to get some pounds before we leave on the trip

3 hours ago, bubbachief said:

I know I will not get not the best exchange rate, but will have to get some pounds before we leave on the trip

You could even just go to an ATM in the airport on arrival before you leave the secure area. I do this a lot when I'm in a rush and it will still be better than paying an exchange fee or high exchange rate. 

50 minutes ago, bubbachief said:

Not flying. Will be on cruise ship docking in Belfast and need pounds for cab to get to Titanic museum. Cruise ship exchange rates are bad. Maybe terminal would have an ATM, but then everyone else has same idea.

You can Uber in Belfast which you will know takes a card since its billed through the app. 

2 options! 

1. If you go to Cork city there is a store with a Foreign Exchange desk. Good rates. You can buy £stg there.

2. There are ATM's at Titanic Centre - ask the driver to wait a few minutes while you get cash (but they may issue you with N. Ireland notes so only withdraw what you need.