Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

14 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I wasn't confined to my cabin when I was at the airport, when I embarked the ship, etc.

I would be tested as many times as the medical staff felt necessary and would not have an issue.

Remember, the prior quotes have regarded lack of testing of all passenger currently off Diamond Princess.  You asserted you would wish to be tested to prevent spread.  Your above response covers when such a passenger might have contacted the disease, but with the isolation procedures in place, as a passenger, you should not be spreading it now.  Hence, no need for testing of people of people lacking signs and symptoms right now to prevent spread.  Wasteful and cumbersome.  They could run out of test kits and not have them when they actually need them. The extra exams would require more contact and this could even inadvertently spread disease rather than prevent it.  

As to your second paragraph: Evidently the number of times medical staff feel such testing is necessary for asymptotic guests is zero.  See above.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Celebrity is taking the Norwegian position of no refunds, right?

Cunard pulled out of Singapore yesterday.

The 17th Jade sailing was originally a Hong Kong departure then changed to Singapore after the govt closed Hong Kong. We will see if they forge ahead from Singapore or play follow the leader and release a third new embarkation port.

Edited by blcruising

1 hour ago, Atgatsea said:

To everyone on the 2/27 sailing, please know that NCL will do to you what they have done to the passengers on the 2/6 sailing and are planning to do to those of us in the 2/17 sailing.  These executives are monitoring the situation by reading charts, graphs, balance sheets, etc. but never hearing from the customers.  All of the frontline staff know nothing of value other than the standard statement.  The only way to get through to NCL decision makers is through direct contact, either by us or through a news outlet.  I have made calls and sent emails which (are we surprised?) have gone largely unanswered except for a copy of their ‘health and safety is our number one priority’ statement.  I urge everyone, including those on the 2/27 cruise (have they switched the stop in Malaysia yet?) to contact media outlets, file complaints with the BBB (there are a lot for NCL), leave posts on Facebook and YouTube (maybe even contact Don), and contact employees directly so that our voices can penetrate executive insulation. They are stalling and hiding and need to be exposed.

You are absolutely correct.  Everyone continue to call and voice your displeasure. Post on all your social media. Share and Like all post about what NCL is doing to us Jade customers. Norwegian Cruise Lies isnt going to do the right thing by its customers unless it is forced. Let's force them!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Celebrity is taking the Norwegian position of no refunds, right?

It's weird because the parent company was very generous about the Anthem cruise and refunds/hotel reimbursement. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Remember, the prior quotes have regarded lack of testing of all passenger currently off Diamond Princess.  You asserted you would wish to be tested to prevent spread.  Your above response covers when such a passenger might have contacted the disease, but with the isolation procedures in place, as a passenger, you should not be spreading it now.  Hence, no need for testing of people of people lacking signs and symptoms right now to prevent spread.  Wasteful and cumbersome.  They could run out of test kits and not have them when they actually need them. The extra exams would require more contact and this could even inadvertently spread disease rather than prevent it.  

As to your second paragraph: Evidently the number of times medical staff feel such testing is necessary for asymptotic guests is zero.  See above.

Obviously we have a different opinion on the subject.  Have a good day.

Received this response (lack thereof) from NCL asking for specific answers to my questions:

1.  What are the concerns of the April 2020 Asia cruises and how are they not concerns for current Asia sailings,

2.  Is it true 100+ individuals were evacuated during the current (2/6) sailing of the Jade?  If so, were the evacuations related to suspected Coronavirus infections?

3.  Since the health and safety of crew and passengers is NCL’s #1 priority, will NCL issue a refund or allow a change/FCC if I feel the health screenings are not sufficiently mitigating the risk to my health and safety?

How am I to make an informed decision when they refuse to answer my (reasonable) questions?

See the response below:

Thank you for the email and your voicemail yesterday, I am sorry I have not been able to return your call.  We appreciate you taking the time to relay these concerns.  

In regards to your specific questions below, we are unable to provide any other information regarding the Coronavirus that is not included in our official statement.  I apologize if you feel that our information is insufficient, we are continuously updating our statement as we gather more information on this issue.

Jonathan Rose l Manager - Resolution Desk
P: +1 305 436 4924 | F: +1 305.468.2179 

jrose@ncl.com 

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Edited by Atgatsea
  • Like 2

Just now, perditax said:

Oh my god, you guys. How long are y'all going to try to get the last word? No one even knows what you're bickering about.

Agreed! Take your anger and frustrations out on Norwegian Cruise Lies, not eachother. They are the ones who have put us in this situation!

• Like 2

CNN International have reported today, a business man from the UK contacted the coronavirus on a recent business trip to Singapore. On his return to the UK on testing, he was found to be positive. He was quarantined while being treated. Fortunately, he has now recovered, however is still under quarantine conditions.

19 minutes ago, AlanTBT said:

Checked the NCL app today and our Hong Kong/China/Japan cruise end of may wasn't there...

It was canceled due to the “growing concerns about the Coronavirus in Asia.”  They have canceled many cruises, inconvenienced thousands of (refunded) customers, and cost themselves a lot of money to make the changes.  All of this is going on but they cannot say anything meaningful (see response above).

Edited by Atgatsea

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Cunard pulled out of Singapore yesterday.

The 17th Jade sailing was originally a Hong Kong departure then changed to Singapore after the govt closed Hong Kong. We will see if they forge ahead from Singapore or play follow the leader and release a third new embarkation port.

No - celebrity is being extremely fair  - feb  15 cruise previously embarking in Singapore cancelled- 100% refund and 50% FCC. Norwegian was about last to pull out of HK and looks like  may be last to pull out of Singapore.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, floridafolks said:

No - celebrity is being extremely fair  - feb  15 cruise previously embarking in Singapore cancelled- 100% refund and 50% FCC. Norwegian was about last to pull out of HK and looks like  may be last to pull out of Singapore.

I see now. Yes, they cancelled Millenium's Asia Orient cruise from Singapore on Feb 15th presumably due to the close proximity to countries where the virus is active. they are offering refunds and credits.

They swapped embark ports for Constellation's Asia/India cruise from Singapore on Feb 16th. They swapped from Singapore to Dubai, so  that ship will be far away from Asia. They are offering air change fee reimbursements.

I don't think NCL will abandon Singapore unless, like Hong Kong, the government makes it impossible for them to take their ship there. They refused to abandon Hong Kong, even though it was not a safe place to operate from, and only did so when the government forced them to do so by closing up the port.

They've previously changed the 17th Jade sailing embark from Hong Kong to Singapore. Based on their prior behavior, I have no doubt that, if the situation presents itself, they will again change the homeport, and, once again, force their guests to adapt. They could end up paying more in air change fees than if they had just bagged the sailing a week or so ago. Ha.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlanTBT said:

Checked the NCL app today and our Hong Kong/China/Japan cruise end of may wasn't there. Phoned NCL and they said all NCL Spirit cruises canceled and I should wait for contact by my travel agent.

Yes, that happened fully a week ago! 😉

Just got off the phone with Norwegian Cruise Lies. Same ol script as expected.  I would still encourage everyone to continue to call and voice your displeasure at the way they have handled our vacations. Again everyone continue to post on social media about NCL and their lack of customer care! I understand its repetitive but it's the only thing we can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JCopp said:

Just got off the phone with Norwegian Cruise Lies. Same ol script as expected.  I would still encourage everyone to continue to call and voice your displeasure at the way they have handled our vacations. Again everyone continue to post on social media about NCL and their lack of customer care! I understand its repetitive but it's the only thing we can do.

Has anyone considered contacting their local news "defenders" reporting team? Most local TV stations have a segment that is dedicated to exposing consumer injustices — and they often get good results. This story - with you, a local couple/family, fighting a greedy corporation to protect your health against the biggest news story around (corona virus) is absolute ratings catnip . . . And it's a lot easier to get the attention of a local market's news team, but you still have the possibility of it being bumped up to national news if the local network gets a good response . . .

46 minutes ago, JCopp said:

Thanks for trying.  Not surprised you didn’t get far.  Did you tell them you have growing concerns about the Coronavirus in Asia and that you feel uncomfortable going due to the risks to your health and safety which is your number one priority?

4 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

Thanks for trying.  Not surprised you didn’t get far.  Did you tell them you have growing concerns about the Coronavirus in Asia and that you feel uncomfortable going due to the risks to your health and safety which is your number one priority?

I have shared my concerns, multiple times but unfortunately they dont see it from their customers point of view. Still blowing my mind that Celebrity, Royal and others feel the same as us. Just a terrible company thats reactive instead of proactive!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GoTX said:

Has anyone considered contacting their local news "defenders" reporting team? 

I have as I’m pretty sure other people on this board have too. So far nothing. JCopp and atgatsea, thank you for fighting this as well. Maybe between the three of us (and hopefully others on this message board) constantly fighting, something will happen. 

• Thanks 1

Heads up again, sorry ... could be entirely false alert.  Where's the Jade heading to now? Isn't she supposed to be at Phu My or Ho Chi Minh City by now, per AIS data filed.  Revised itinerary, perhaps, anyone else has info on this, as I stand corrected if mistaken.  

Mein Schiff 6 is heading to HCMC now. 

Collage 2020-02-11 15_13_24.jpg

P.S.  Marine Tracking's AIS data can be outdated, not properly filed, etc. but with 2 other cruise ships in the area, I dunno.  No info from anyone currently onboard ?? 

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Masekr11 said:

I have as I’m pretty sure other people on this board have too. So far nothing. JCopp and atgatsea, thank you for fighting this as well. Maybe between the three of us (and hopefully others on this message board) constantly fighting, something will happen. 

I wont stop fighting until they do what's right! There does need to be more then three of us. Please if you are reading these boards and not doing something atleast make a call. Share a facebook post.  My goal is to make every person I can reconsider ever using Norwegian Cruise Lines. There are other and better options.  I would never want anyone to go through this hassle!! 

You are correct, CruiseMH. NCL and other cruise lines will suffer if the sailing public dislikes their behavior in this situation. Before Social Media, we the Public only caught glimpses of events like this.  Harsh and arbitrary treatment based on contracts like NCL's slipped under the wire. Active cruisers for years, we have sailed on or in anything that floats, once arriving at Venice's Luna Hotel in a soda and beer barge, disembarking over a fence onto a restaurant table. Not exactly a luxury entrance. Currently Gold on NCL, we are booked on the Joy for November in the Caribbean. The horrors of Asian travel are unlikely. However, I am concerned about Company Policy that expects guests to walk into what might turn into the Diamond Princess. Cancelling and not booking another cruise is a powerful option.

Mary 

• Like 1