Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

This is one update I read today:  Princess Cruises confirmed to PEOPLE that ten more people on their Diamond Princess cruise liner had tested positive for the illness. In addition the three Americans, those affected include seven people from Japan, three from Hong Kong, two from Australia, two from Canada, one from New Zealand, one from Taiwan and one from the Philippines.

Two different ships, of course.  Diamond Princess has confirmed cases aboard and is under quarantine.  That is quite a mess.

The separate issue I was addressing my pervious post (the one you quoted) was about HAL Westerdam.  That ships has a disrupted itinerary, as ports do not wish to receive her.  Still, as of the lastest reports, no known coronavirus cases on Westerdam; let’s pray for her passengers and crew that it remains so.  Having your 14 night Asia cruise become all sea days would be unfortunate, but it will get worse it the virus is really on board.  I know HAL would like to get passengers off early; that would be in the cruiseline’s interest.  OTOH, the health authorities of many countries many feel it is best if these passengers ride out the incubation period on the ship instead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, h20luvr said:

Based on my experience, this time of the year many of the passengers would be Canadians and others from cooler climates. 

I would think it might be quite a mix on Westerdam: UK, Canada, US, Australia, Europe, Asia... it may be such a mix than no one country has a solid majority of passengers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Still, as of the lastest reports, no known coronavirus cases on Westerdam;

It is my understanding that no one has been tested for Coronavirus on Westerdam. The ship has been out at sea and I don't believe they have the capability to test onboard.

23 minutes ago, blcruising said:

It is my understanding that no one has been tested for Coronavirus on Westerdam. The ship has been out at sea and I don't believe they have the capability to test onboard.

Well, golly, asymptomatic people generally are not tested for disease.  If nobody aboard has reported symptoms, than the ship has no needs for special tests, yet the doctor aboard can say he or she has no reason to believe there are any cases of coronavirus on board.  If health authorities insisted on more data, one might screen for active illness simply by taking temperatures (though there are many other causes of fever, of course, so any febrile persons would then require further evaluation)

I based my pervious post on info from HAL.  Certainly I cannot swear to the accuracy of their info, HAL would be tremendous foolish if they allow coronavirus to spread unchecked through the vessel.   More cases would result in longer quarantine period, meaning more canceled cruises.  If people are showing symptoms consistent with coronavirus, than HAL the filling statement would be a lie.  A publicly traded company posting lies with financial implications on their website would be compounding their problems.  So, I continue to hope no case will develop on Westerdam;, with my best wishes to this on board.

Per HAL website:

Update 2/6/2020 10 PM Pacific Time:

Guests on board Westerdam continue to be fully safe and secure. The ship is currently in a holding pattern off the coast of Japan, southeast of Okinawa, while we are working to finalize a new port of disembarkation. Please be assured that the ship is not in quarantine and we have no reason to believe there are any cases of coronavirus on board despite media reports.”

• Like 1

Breaking News re Spirit

MPORTANT NOTIFICATION
CANCELLATION

Reservation: xxxxxx

Date: 02/07/2020

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

Due to growing concerns regarding Coronavirus in Asia, all Norwegian Spirit sailings from April 15, 2020 through December 7, 2020 operating in Asia have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Please be advised that a full refund will be processed automatically to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. As a goodwill gesture, we have arranged for a future cruise credit, worth 10% toward your future cruise, to be issued. This credit will be available within 7 days and can be applied towards any of our currently published sailings if you book a new cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line in the next 45 days. Furthermore, we will cover up to $300 per person for any airfare change fees. Please submit your receipts at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

When you are interested in choosing another sailing, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-866-234-7350 or your travel professional.

For any guests booked outside of the U.S. and Canada, please visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your upcoming vacation at sea. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Well, golly, asymptomatic people generally are not tested for disease.  If nobody aboard has reported symptoms, than the ship has no needs for special tests, yet the doctor aboard can say he or she has no reason to believe there are any cases of coronavirus on board.  If health authorities insisted on more data, one might screen for active illness simply by taking temperatures (though there are many other causes of fever, of course, so any febrile persons would then require further evaluation)

I based my pervious post on info from HAL.  Certainly I cannot swear to the accuracy of their info, HAL would be tremendous foolish if they allow coronavirus to spread unchecked through the vessel.   More cases would result in longer quarantine period, meaning more canceled cruises.  If people are showing symptoms consistent with coronavirus, than HAL the filling statement would be a lie.  A publicly traded company posting lies with financial implications on their website would be compounding their problems.  So, I continue to hope no case will develop on Westerdam;, with my best wishes to this on board.

Per HAL website:

Update 2/6/2020 10 PM Pacific Time:

Guests on board Westerdam continue to be fully safe and secure. The ship is currently in a holding pattern off the coast of Japan, southeast of Okinawa, while we are working to finalize a new port of disembarkation. Please be assured that the ship is not in quarantine and we have no reason to believe there are any cases of coronavirus on board despite media reports.”

Earlier in the week there were reports of one possible infection onboard the Westerdam which is what has probably caused the confusion as the latest reports say there is no problem.

Quote:

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said later Thursday that another huge cruise ship, the Westerdam, was heading to the country with one confirmed infected passenger aboard.

He said no foreigners from the vessel, capable of carrying nearly 3,000 passengers and crew, would be allowed to disembark.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/global-fears-rise-as-more-coronavirus-cases-found-on-cruise-ship/

15 hours ago, blcruising said:

Just tried making a fake booking for the Feb 17th Jade cruise and I get the message "Looks like this page has taken a permanent vacation." Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe......

I just called and asked and NCL said it was removed because it sold out. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Masekr11 said:

Lol. They must have had a rush on cabin demand. On Monday, just about every stateroom category within every class of staterooms was showing as available. Intro fares for that 10 day sailing started at $399 per person. No single supplement.

16 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

LOL.  So that phone jockey thinks more people are booking an Asian cruise than are cancelling it this week.  More likely re-evaluating the situation than sold out.

I hoping for the best for those aboard Westerdam.  Perhaps it would also be for the best if all cruiselines learned from Westerdam’s situation.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

LOL.  So that phone jockey thinks more people are booking an Asian cruise than are cancelling it this week.  More likely re-evaluating the situation than sold out.

I hoping for the best for those aboard Westerdam.  Perhaps it would also be for the best if all cruiselines learned from Westerdam’s situation.  

Agree that it’s unlikely it sold out.  I just don’t see why they would lie and lose possible fares. If they sent out the Spirit cancellation, why not send the Jade? 

The funny thing is, 10 minutes after I called and was told it was sold out, I got an email offering upgrades for ocean view and balconies. 

Edited by Masekr11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

Agree that it’s unlikely it sold out.  I just don’t see why they would lie and lose possible fares. If they sent out the Spirit cancellation, why not send the Jade? 

The Spirit is a whole different situation. The dry dock is not finished on time, the ship is in France  and they have a lot of different itineraries to move around before even getting the ship to Tokyo. It probably is more cost effective to just scrap the whole deal. Based on the prices and cabins still available for the summer, I don't think a lot of those itineraries were selling well anyway. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

The Spirit is a whole different situation. The dry dock is not finished on time, the ship is in France  and they have a lot of different itineraries to move around before even getting the ship to Tokyo. It probably is more cost effective to just scrap the whole deal. Based on the prices and cabins still available for the summer, I don't think a lot of those itineraries were selling well anyway. 

If that’s the case, why did the email they sent out specifically say it was canceled due to growing concerns regarding the Coronavirus in Asia. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

The funny thing is, 10 minutes after I called and was told it was sold out, I got an email offering upgrades for ocean view and balconies. 

NCL may have the cruise closed to new bookings if they are actively evaluating the situation; they could re-open it anytime.  While closed, the phone agent would pull up a screen that said “no available cabins” and may really have interpreted that as “sold out.” If so, I’d call that more a misinterpretation than a lie on the agent’s part.

From other posts, we know NCL has been working in Spirit re-deployment for some time, and obviously it started before anybody on CC found evidence in port logs.  NCL might be looking at any or all other Asian itineraries...at least evaluating options...they might ask themselves, what will they do if Singapore closes it’s port while Jade is at sea?

The email selling upgrades is funny timing.  It was probably pre-scheduled.  

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

Why would NCL cite the “growing concerns” of the virus as the justification? They are concerned about it in April but not now?  They anticipate it becoming significant two months from now?  I don’t believe a word they say.  NCL is showing nothing but hubris, greed, and stubbornness in slashing prices and continuing to sail in this manner.  The enhanced medical precautions cruise lines have implemented are obviously inadequate and NCL is just asking for some very bad karma.

Edited by Atgatsea
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

NCL may have the cruise closed to new bookings if they are actively evaluating the situation; they could re-open it anytime.  While closed, the phone agent would pull up a screen that said “no available cabins” and may really have interpreted that as “sold out.” If so, I’d call that more a misinterpretation than a lie on the agent’s part.

From other posts, we know NCL has been working in Spirit re-deployment for some time, and obviously it started before anybody on CC found evidence in port logs.  NCL might be looking at any or all other Asian itineraries...at least evaluating options...they might ask themselves, what will they do if Singapore closes it’s port while Jade is at sea?

The email selling upgrades is funny timing.  It was probably pre-scheduled.  

Excellent point regarding misinterpretation. I didn’t even think about them closing the system and the agent not knowing any better. I agree the upgrade email is probably due to timing, but found it funny. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AliciaandMark said:

So they will cancel upcoming cruises citing the virus as far away as April but continue to soldier on with current itineraries in the peak of the epidemic through Asia currently. I don’t understand? 

It's a very dollars and sense approach, isn't it? They probably know the Asia market isn't going to sell on any ship at this point. They also know passengers are still outside of final payment on many of the summer Asia sailings, so they have no leverage there. People can cancel and get a full refund. So they are devoting time getting that ship repositioned so they can remarket the sailings and get the ship filled up.

For the more recent sailings, their approach has been....you booked the cruise, the only way we are changing something is if a government forces us to, so get to the ship if you don't want to lose your money cause we aren't refunding it. If you are concerned about your health or cant get to the ship, deal with it through travel insurance, if you bought travel insurance and if you bought the correct travel insurance. 

See once you understand the business model of Norwegian Cruise Lines, it all makes sense. They've exhibited this type of callous behavior on numerous prior occasions. No one ought to be surprised.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

I was reading a Science article last night. It was quite long, but boiled down to the scientists don't really know for sure where this is headed yet. It is still early days because they are having problems getting reliable information out of China for various reasons, and are having to rely on what is coming out of Western countries, where it is still extremely early days, and there is little reliable information as yet. Some scientists suspect it probably will become a pandemic, but of course nothing is a given. Another thing, there has been a case where a person was shedding virus but had minimal symptoms. Also, a passenger on the Princess ship tested positive, but had no symptoms. Does that make her a carrier? I don't know.

What I do know is that the hospital system I work for has set up one hospital with an isolation unit. It is the same one they set up for Ebola a few years ago. All patients who test positive within the hospital system are to be sent there, as they have specialized staff and equipment. Another hospital that I know of is asking for volunteers to be part of a special unit to just deal with virus patients if they get any.

As I said, the scientists consider this to be extremely early days, and have no idea where this is headed, how bad it will get, or how long it will go on for. What I did see this morning is that there has been 6,000 new cases reported in China in two days, and the Japanese Transport Minister is urging regional governors to close all ports to cruise ships. A guy on the radio last night was saying that the estimates of 100,000 cases in China are probably conservative, and that they are under reporting.

Stay safe my friends.

• Like 2

Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, MSC, Celebrity.....every one of these websites has timely, updated information on Coronavirus plastered on the home page of their website. The communications are clear, they give timeframes for the next updates. And then you go to NCL and there is no mention of the virus and what their plan is. You get a pop up box either  asking you to sign up for their email specials or to take a survey to evaluate their website.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AliciaandMark said:

So they will cancel upcoming cruises citing the virus as far away as April but continue to soldier on with current itineraries in the peak of the epidemic through Asia currently. I don’t understand? 

this doesnt pass the judge judy test at all. you cannot say one ship isnt safe but the rest are..by any standard. 

33 minutes ago, Bonobochick said:

Royal Caribbean Bans All Passengers Holding Passports From China, Hong Kong, Macau

https://gothamist.com/news/royal-caribbean-bans-all-passengers-holding-passports-china-hong-kong-macau

Yeah, they're getting serious about this. I assume they are consulting with different health experts than Norwegian. The last we heard you could still board an NCL ship if you had a connecting flight through mainland China.

This is the best part of Royal Caribbean's press release. I have no idea if it is true, but whoever is writing and approving the press release gets it...."We know that these steps are very conservative, and we apologize that they will inconvenience some of our guests. We regret to have to do this, but it is our responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit."

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2