Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MFR

Sydney hotel recommendation

Recommended Posts

Hi--sorry I know hotel recommendations have been extensively discussed in the past, but.....

We had reservations at the Holiday Inn the Rocks prior to our cruise, but due to change in ownership and recent reviews saying the hotel is badly in need of refurbishment, we are cancelling that reservation.  I'm looking at reasonably priced hotels within walking distance of the OPT, and have narrowed it down to the Sebel Quay West and the Four Seasons.  Does anyone know if, with a partial harbor view room at the Four Seasons, you would be able to see the harbor and the pier?  I'd love to be able to watch our ship coming in the morning we are due to sail.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you should be able to see harbour and CQ make sure you request a high floor to get a better view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MFR said:

Hi--sorry I know hotel recommendations have been extensively discussed in the past, but.....

We had reservations at the Holiday Inn the Rocks prior to our cruise, but due to change in ownership and recent reviews saying the hotel is badly in need of refurbishment, we are cancelling that reservation.  I'm looking at reasonably priced hotels within walking distance of the OPT, and have narrowed it down to the Sebel Quay West and the Four Seasons.  Does anyone know if, with a partial harbor view room at the Four Seasons, you would be able to see the harbor and the pier?  I'd love to be able to watch our ship coming in the morning we are due to sail.  Thanks!

If you can afford the four seasons it’s the most central to the rocks and circular quay.

 It has some of the best harbour views and It had a renovation last year.

To me the best hotel.

Edited by Chiliburn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the recommendations.  I looked up the time of sunrise in March and it's not until about 6:30, so it would still be dark when our ship comes in at 6 am.  Based on that, decided to go with the cheapest room, city view.  We'll be out exploring Sydney for a couple days before our cruise and not spending that much time in the room.  The price we got is actually less than what we were going to be paying at the Holiday Inn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you would get very good views of the ship coming in at 6am. It wouldn't be full daylight but pre-dawn, so enough light to see outlines of harbour and opera house, and the ship would be lit up. I've seen photos of ships arriving in those conditions and it looks stunning, almost better than in full daylight.

 

This is a picture from one of the Sydney webcams from a Carnival ship arriving this morning. The ship is blurry but it will give you an idea of the light conditions.

EarlyMorningShipArrival.PNG

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, unless we are upgraded, we'll have to get up early and go to an upper floor to see that.   Probably won't happen since we may still be jet-lagged from our flight from east coast US .  Or who knows, maybe we'll be so jet-lagged we'll be getting up in the middle of the night!   Thanks for the info though.  I follow the webcams myself,  so in a sense I've already seen our ship come in--that may have to suffice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you consider the Four Seasons reasonably priced, then thumbs up!

A nice upgrade from the Holiday Inn!

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 4:28 AM, buchhalm said:

If you consider the Four Seasons reasonably priced, then thumbs up!

A nice upgrade from the Holiday Inn!

🙂

 

And if you can get the Four Seasons for a comparable price to Holiday Inn, grab it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes somewhat less than the Holiday Inn AND with breakfast. Only drawback is that it's not quite as close to the cruise pier as we plan to walk there.

BTW we are neighbors to the south of you (Mass), but you are probably in FL now and hopefully enjoying warm weather.  Very cold here today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MFR said:

Yes somewhat less than the Holiday Inn AND with breakfast. Only drawback is that it's not quite as close to the cruise pier as we plan to walk there.

BTW we are neighbors to the south of you (Mass), but you are probably in FL now and hopefully enjoying warm weather.  Very cold here today.  

To the actual check in for OPT there would only be a extra 50 meters from the four seasons compared to the Rydges 

 I f you can get the four seasons I would grab it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 12:04 PM, MFR said:

BTW we are neighbors to the south of you (Mass), but you are probably in FL now and hopefully enjoying warm weather.  Very cold here today.  

 

Well howdy neighbors! We just left NH for FL this week (we are skiers!) But out 1st home was MA, working and raising the younguns there until retirement. (Plymouth)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sippican said:

 

Well howdy neighbors! We just left NH for FL this week (we are skiers!) But out 1st home was MA, working and raising the younguns there until retirement. (Plymouth)

We used to ski NH (broke my arm on Attitash) and VT (Killington) but less enthusiastic as we've aged.  Will ski only if 1.  Good conditions, 2. Weather above freezing, 3.  No crowds i.e . weekday mornings!

Would love to move somewhere warm but family all up here.  Enjoy FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...