Suggestions needed for hotels in Rome....

OnTheJourney

Will be sailing out of Civitavecchia early next year and so starting to get ideas for a pre-cruise stay. I came across the Hotel Navona and the Liberty Boutique. Both have good reviews on Trip Advisor. Any suggestions?  I might use Viator for a full-day tour and so want to make sure any hotel I choose is one that they would be able to pick up at (I'm assuming they probably would pick up almost anywhere - hard to get that info on their website unfortunately); however, the Navona does mention that they are in a restricted traffic area and so access is controlled by electronic entrance. Perhaps something like that might not work as well for a tour company. Thanks for any ideas...

Edited by OnTheJourney

We've stayed here last few times and we have it booked again for this July:

https://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/en/?r=4261005&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B_OuGOYQ-LWRNP_b0lROkj9JdltVVamuDs8UsQQbzyftvcC2h9RZJIaAs71EALw_wcB

It's in a great location...just across the street from the French Embassy on a quiet side street very close to the Campo di Fiore and a couple of short blocks further to the Piazza Navona.

Thanks Bruin...added that one to my bookmarks 🙂  Anyone here have experience with the Hotel Barocco...in the Piazza Barberini section?  Also looks like a nice place. Having never been there, I have no idea what are even the recommended sections of the city to stay in. We're very interested in the religious sites, so something close to St. Peters would be good. Of course, with the use of the metro suppose it makes hotel location less critical. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

16 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks Bruin...added that one to my bookmarks 🙂  Anyone here have experience with the Hotel Barocco...in the Piazza Barberini section?  Also looks like a nice place. Having never been there, I have no idea what are even the recommended sections of the city to stay in. We're very interested in the religious sites, so something close to St. Peters would be good. Of course, with the use of the metro suppose it makes hotel location less critical. 

I have no experience with Hotel Barocco, sorry.

The issue with being close to St. Peter's is that you are then far from everything else. The Vatican is somewhat of an outlier in terms of Rome sightseeing. In my experience it's better to just plan to be there for a day and do whatever sightseeing you want in that time period.

Other areas that are much more central include:  Pantheon area ("ground zero" location for me); Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Trevi Fountain.  Those are the MOST central.

These areas are all safe, very scenic, and have lots of nearby restaurant options for evenings, when it is very pleasant to go for a stroll before or after dinner.  

I will also ask a question, and ask about Harry's, close to Trevi.

We would be there for a couple of nights.

Having never traveled to Rome, and being unfamiliar, I see this as an option that might seem newer, and more updated, and English/U.S. oriented than some other local Italian hotels?

Rome is the historic Eternal City.  Somehow I wonder about the older, more historic, buildings and facilities?

Does anyone have any insight on this.

This hotel can be pricey.  But I like the location and reviews and everything else I am seeing.

Edited by Wishing on a star

47 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Having never traveled to Rome, and being unfamiliar, I see this as an option that might seem newer, and more updated, and English/U.S. oriented than some other local Italian hotels?

Rome is the historic Eternal City.  Somehow I wonder about the older, more historic, buildings and facilities?

Does anyone have any insight on this.

This hotel can be pricey.  But I like the location and reviews and everything else I am seeing.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.

Any location in central Rome is going to be within an older building. They don't tear down/build new, they renovate what they have. Whether it is a new hotel or an older one, the better hotels renovate frequently and to a fairly high standard. The Albergo del Senato, which I've previously mentioned as a favorite hotel of mine, has done major renovations/improvements twice since I first stayed there, back in 2005.  

Also, just about any hotel in central Rome is going to have small rooms, even a deluxe property, unless you pay extra (e.g., for a suite).  

Similarly, all the hotels in the centro storico cater to international travelers. Front desk staff speak English.  Electrical sockets anywhere will be Italian (European) standard but more hotels are adding usb ports for charging. Mini bars and kettles in rooms are pretty common.  Wifi is usually included (except sometimes in big chain hotels).

Are you concerned about space? decor? wi-fi? amenities?  Help me understand...

I prefer to feel that I am staying in an Italian hotel, rather than in an American enclave. I prefer a traditional style rather than modern, but some Italian hotels that look very traditional on the outside are surprisingly (and strikingly) modern on the inside.

The best thing is to read reviews online, discounting the ones that are clearly from disgruntled parties or shills, and look at guest photos/videos of their stays. It's pretty easy to get a good idea this way.

• Like 1

As you mention that you're interested in religious sites I would recommend you visit Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore on Via Cavour, close to termini train station. We came across it as we were staying in a hotel on Via Cavour and we walked past it a couple times. It's a truly stunning building and very historic. You can walk to it from Termini in about 5 minutes.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Will be sailing out of Civitavecchia early next year and so starting to get ideas for a pre-cruise stay. I came across the Hotel Navona and the Liberty Boutique. Both have good reviews on Trip Advisor. Any suggestions?  I might use Viator for a full-day tour and so want to make sure any hotel I choose is one that they would be able to pick up at (I'm assuming they probably would pick up almost anywhere - hard to get that info on their website unfortunately); however, the Navona does mention that they are in a restricted traffic area and so access is controlled by electronic entrance. Perhaps something like that might not work as well for a tour company. Thanks for any ideas...

I loved staying at the Hotel Smeraldo when in Rome a few years ago.  They recently completed a complete re-do of their rooms.  The locations is wonderful with a short walk to Campa di Fiori and Piazza Navona.  We walked to the Pantheon and Trevi fountain and to so many churches close by along with so many restaurants.  We had a room overlooking a tiny side street with a window that we could open.  The smell of the bakery down below as the breads and other pastries were baking in the pre-dawn hours was one of my favorite things!  The location is also very near to a central bus and other transportation.  We will be back in Rome in the beginning of November this year and I am definitely looking to stay there or use an Airbnb in the same area.

https://www.smeraldoroma.com/en/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, Bruin Steve said:

We've stayed here last few times and we have it booked again for this July:

https://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/en/?r=4261005&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B_OuGOYQ-LWRNP_b0lROkj9JdltVVamuDs8UsQQbzyftvcC2h9RZJIaAs71EALw_wcB

It's in a great location...just across the street from the French Embassy on a quiet side street very close to the Campo di Fiore and a couple of short blocks further to the Piazza Navona.

Breakfast included? 

21 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

YES!

Checking it out now...looks very nice. Do you know if they offer transportation from the airport to the hotel, and then I'll also need from the hotel to the port. It seems like most hotels cater to these needs. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/6/2020 at 5:42 PM, San10s said:

I loved staying at the Hotel Smeraldo when in Rome a few years ago.  They recently completed a complete re-do of their rooms.  The locations is wonderful with a short walk to Campa di Fiori and Piazza Navona.  We walked to the Pantheon and Trevi fountain and to so many churches close by along with so many restaurants.  We had a room overlooking a tiny side street with a window that we could open.  The smell of the bakery down below as the breads and other pastries were baking in the pre-dawn hours was one of my favorite things!  The location is also very near to a central bus and other transportation.  We will be back in Rome in the beginning of November this year and I am definitely looking to stay there or use an Airbnb in the same area.

https://www.smeraldoroma.com/en/

How's the included breakfast?  

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

How's the included breakfast?  

The breakfast was incredible.  Not only did they serve more traditional European fare (meats, cheese, breads, etc.) they also offered more traditional American items like cereal, eggs, French toast, etc, rotating on different mornings.  If you didn't like any of their offerings, the bakery only steps away had plenty of pastries to choose from as did the corner café directly out the front door of the hotel.  

Edited by San10s

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Checking it out now...looks very nice. Do you know if they offer transportation from the airport to the hotel, and then I'll also need from the hotel to the port. It seems like most hotels cater to these needs. 

Anyone who offers free transportation is really just charging you and blending it into the price. 

We are using NCC Plus for transportation from the ship to the hotel (70 euro total for two for a shared shuttle) and for the trip from the hotel to FCO airport (45 euro for two for a private shuttle)...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We stayed at the Marriott Grand Flora for 8 nights on our land trip 2 years ago.  It's at the top of Via Venetto near the park.  We picked it because we could stay free on points.  The hotel was nice and we enjoyed breakfast on the rooftop each morning. The views were fantastic!  We walked down hill to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Colliseum, etc, but always called Uber or a taxi for a ride back to the hotel.  We also used a taxi or Uber to the Vatican.  Since we were staying free it wasn't a big deal to pay for taxi etc.  I wanted to stay there again after our cruise in May, but they didn't have our night available on points.  We are staying at the Westin just a couple of buildings down.   

On 2/8/2020 at 3:30 PM, cruisingxpert said:

Another vote for Hotel Smeraldo and if you are not an intrepid walker, this Golf Cart tour is fabulous.

https://mybesttour.com   Gets you up close and personal to everything and avoids bust congested main roads.

Thanks for the suggestion I’m going to be traveling with someone who is not a very good worker and I think that this will be a great solution

3 hours ago, jobinhume said:

Thanks for the suggestion I’m going to be traveling with someone who is not a very good worker and I think that this will be a great solution

I think you will love it.  I wish they had these tours in other cities.

We stayed at Hotel Damaso in the Campo de Fiori area. The location was fantastic.

We were able to walk everywhere for our tours (Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill,

the Vatican, Trevi Fountain and a food tour). 

The hotel had a nice breakfast and the BEST coffee I have EVER had in my life!

The only reason we would not book there again was it was impossible to dry/ style

your hair. The bathroom had no electric outlet but had a mirror. The sleeping area had

an outlet but no mirror. The hotel is aware of the goof but has not done any corrections.