JamieLogical's Cruise Packing Guide

JamieLogical

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I really don't understand why so many cruise ship and hotel showers don't have a bar or ledge or anything for leg shaving. One would assume nearly half their patrons are women.

Isn’t that what the toilet seat is for? It is usually within inches of the shower and actually very convenient.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I assumed by "carry on" that you meant airplane. Oops.

And the amount of clothes seem wild to me. We just returned from a two week trip. I carried two tees, two cotton sweaters,  five bras, etc.

I was also thinking that is at least twice the amount of clothes I would take. And I usually bring home at least something I have not worn.

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

I was also thinking that is at least twice the amount of clothes I would take. And I usually bring home at least something I have not worn.

Which I have as a goal. Just in case I 'dribble.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Isn’t that what the toilet seat is for? It is usually within inches of the shower and actually very convenient.

My wife told me a long time ago that when we go on vacation, she does not want to do laundry, cooking, ironing, cleaning, etc.  We always bring at least two outfits per day each.  That way, we can change whenever we want/have to and not worry about laundry day, washing things in the sink, etc.

9 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

The showers are enclosed with a door. Not sure how you would reach the toilet seat without getting water everywhere. Also, I sail mostly NCL Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships. In the balcony bathrooms, the glass wall of the shower is between the shower and toilet so the toilet isn't at all accessible from the shower door.

I must have bigger BO issues than the rest of you? If I wear a t-shirt all day and then sleep in it that night, no way am I re-wearing it without washing it. I would not wish that on my fellow passengers. And I don't really see how I would get away with packing fewer pairs of underwear and socks than there are days of the cruise.... The things I re-wear are: jeans, bras, dresses (since I only wear those a few hours at a time), swim suits, pajama pants, and my moisture-wicking port clothes. 

Edited by JamieLogical

9 hours ago, clo said:

I assumed by "carry on" that you meant airplane. Oops.

And the amount of clothes seem wild to me. We just returned from a two week trip. I carried two tees, two cotton sweaters,  five bras, etc.

You wore the same 4 shirts for two full weeks? Five bras seems more than adequate for two weeks as I always wear mine 2-3 days, but 4 shirts?!?!? How did they not get super smelly?

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The showers are enclosed with a door. Not sure how you would reach the toilet seat without getting water everywhere. Also, I sail mostly NCL Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships. In the balcony bathrooms, the glass wall of the shower is between the shower and toilet so the toilet isn't at all accessible from the shower door.

I must have bigger BO issues than the rest of you? If I wear a t-shirt all day and then sleep in it that night, no way am I re-wearing it without washing it. I would not wish that on my fellow passengers. And I don't really see how I would get away with packing fewer pairs of underwear and socks than there are days of the cruise.... The things I re-wear are: jeans, bras, dresses (since I only wear those a few hours at a time), swim suits, pajama pants, and my moisture-wicking port clothes. 

My cruises have had shower curtains so I was being half serious—although that is my option when available.

Some people do have more BO than others so that may be an issue. Thank you for your consideration but I think from reading the comments most people just change a lot out of boredom. Not necessary to wear something different every day. I seldom wear socks on a cruise—fitness center mostly. But take heart. As you age the perspiration problem lessens considerably. Another secret—panty liners.

2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

My cruises have had shower curtains so I was being half serious—although that is my option when available.

Some people do have more BO than others so that may be an issue. Thank you for your consideration but I think from reading the comments most people just change a lot out of boredom. Not necessary to wear something different every day. I seldom wear socks on a cruise—fitness center mostly. But take heart. As you age the perspiration problem lessens considerably. Another secret—panty liners.

I definitely get the socks thing. I only ever wear sandals in my swim wear and my formal wear. 90% of my waking hours on a cruise, I am wearing sneakers, so socks are necessary for me. But I know that a lot of people are content to wear sandals or flip flops all day every day on a cruise, so wouldn't need socks. I am definitely a-typical as a cruise passenger. I wear jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, and a hoodie at all times unless I am going to the Spa, dining at a specialty dining venue, or visiting a walking-intensive port. I don't do shorts... I don't do open-toed shoes... I don't do sun dresses... I don't do gauzy/linen-type blouses. So I definitely do "bulkier" clothes than most people on a cruise, but I don't know that I bring significantly more articles of clothing. I definitely don't bring two outfits for every day as someone mentioned!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

You wore the same 4 shirts for two full weeks? Five bras seems more than adequate for two weeks as I always wear mine 2-3 days, but 4 shirts?!?!? How did they not get super smelly?

I don't sweat.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I definitely get the socks thing. I only ever wear sandals in my swim wear and my formal wear. 90% of my waking hours on a cruise, I am wearing sneakers, so socks are necessary for me. But I know that a lot of people are content to wear sandals or flip flops all day every day on a cruise, so wouldn't need socks. I am definitely a-typical as a cruise passenger. I wear jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, and a hoodie at all times unless I am going to the Spa, dining at a specialty dining venue, or visiting a walking-intensive port. I don't do shorts... I don't do open-toed shoes... I don't do sun dresses... I don't do gauzy/linen-type blouses. So I definitely do "bulkier" clothes than most people on a cruise, but I don't know that I bring significantly more articles of clothing. I definitely don't bring two outfits for every day as someone mentioned!

You dress like I do, only hopefully with better color coordination.

I’ve discovered Allbirds shoes. They come in wool or a breathable plant-based mesh material (“tree”), are lightweight, and can be worn without socks. I pretty much live in tree skippers - I’ve bought 4 pairs so far! They’re great shipboard shoes, too.

Like clo, I pack an extra shirt in case of spillage. There’s only so much a Tide To Go pen can handle.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

haha, perhaps you are just more aware than others.  Sadly, we all encounter folks who need to pay more attention to their BO. 

I have learned to get away with doubling up on sock usage.  I don't wear dresses or bras, so can't relate to those, but pants/jeans, etc I agree.   I just got back from a stay in Singapore.  Moisture wicking shirts are terrific for travel in hot/humid places.   

8 hours ago, coastcat said:

I’ve discovered Allbirds shoes. They come in wool or a breathable plant-based mesh material (“tree”), are lightweight, and can be worn without socks. I pretty much live in tree skippers - I’ve bought 4 pairs so far! They’re great shipboard shoes, too.

I've been interested in those and should check them out Thanks.

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Oh wow. That is lucky. I have to wear "clinical strength" deodorant. 😋

I'll elaborate. Whether at home or traveling, when we're out of public we change into what we call "lounge wear." 🙂 A top and a bottom, maybe from a thrift store, not suitable for 'prime time.' Makes the other stuff last a lot longer.

Lots of different opinions out there. I think some people pack way too much crap. I think some people try to go to minimalistic. Either way, it's good to see ideas being shared so people can come prepared.

The best piece of advice I have followed is I have typed up a checklist of things over the years that I have commonly needed/used/may need. I will run through it each time I pack. It's great not having to buy inflated toiletries, rent snorkel gear, have no clean clothes, etc.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

The best piece of advice I have followed is I have typed up a checklist of things over the years that I have commonly needed/used/may need. I will run through it each time I pack. It's great not having to buy inflated toiletries, rent snorkel gear, have no clean clothes, etc.

This is a great point! I was able to put together this list based on a Google Doc I keep called "Cruise Packing List" and I add stuff to it continuously as I discover things I should have brought along the way. For example, I never use lotion in my real life. But after spending $11 on a small tube of lotion on the Gem because our hands were getting so dried out from the cooler climate (Canada & New England sailing) and all the washy washy, I now always pack lotion. In fact, I still always pack that same tube I bought on the Gem, because we haven't used it all up yet!

38 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

This is a great point! I was able to put together this list based on a Google Doc I keep called "Cruise Packing List" and I add stuff to it continuously as I discover things I should have brought along the way. For example, I never use lotion in my real life. But after spending $11 on a small tube of lotion on the Gem because our hands were getting so dried out from the cooler climate (Canada & New England sailing) and all the washy washy, I now always pack lotion. In fact, I still always pack that same tube I bought on the Gem, because we haven't used it all up yet!

I've mentioned this before. We have a 'travel box' and it holds things that we only use when traveling. And that's any type of traveling, i.e., road trips. So when it's getting close to time, we put a heavy cloth over the dining table and it becomes the 'staging area.' We rarely forget anything.

My toiletry kit is always packed for everything I need.  At the end of each trip, I refill or replace what needs to be replaced at the time, so I know I can grab and go.  I also have put together a small medical kit that contains mostly OTC meds that we might need, bandaids and the ilk.  That gets thrown in too.

We recently got off a cruise where temps ranged from 45F to 85+F.  Packing for this trip was a bit more challenging, but I was still able to only use a carry on bag.  I have only ever used a carry on bag for trips up to 6 weeks.  Obviously, laundry gets done....either we pay for it or do it ourselves, but consider this the lessor evil of needing to travel with big, heavy bags.  I remember getting off of one cruise, and we were behind a couple where a porter was hauling 4 x 25-27” bags, 2 x 22” and a couple of tote bags.  This was on a 12 day cruise (that does not require that you dress up for dinner).  If we cannot haul it ourselves, we don’t take it.  

BTW....we also have a staging area too when we pack, our king sized bed!  The only time we have needed to shop for something was when DH didn’t bother to check the rechargeable battery for his camera, and it wouldn’t hold a charge anymore.  So we went shopping in Lisbon for a Nikon rechargeable battery.  

15 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We recently got off a cruise where temps ranged from 45F to 85+F.  Packing for this trip was a bit more challenging, but I was still able to only use a carry on bag.  I have only ever used a carry on bag for trips up to 6 weeks.  Obviously, laundry gets done....either we pay for it or do it ourselves, but consider this the lessor evil of needing to travel with big, heavy bags.  I remember getting off of one cruise, and we were behind a couple where a porter was hauling 4 x 25-27” bags, 2 x 22” and a couple of tote bags.  This was on a 12 day cruise (that does not require that you dress up for dinner).  If we cannot haul it ourselves, we don’t take it. 

I remember my very first cruise, the morning we disembarked, seeing a young woman (20s?) that couldn't have weighed much over 100 lbs trying to lug a suitcase the size of a refrigerator. I am not talking a mini-fridge here. I thought to myself you could fit at least three of her in that suitcase. This was a 7-day cruise. I can't imagine why or how such a tiny person could need so much stuff for a week!

As of right now, for a 7-day cruise, I bring my backpack (packed as described in the OP) as my "carry-on" for the ship. I bring a carry-on-sized roller bag with everything else in it that gets checked at the pier. It's basically against my religion to pay to check bags on airlines, so I don't even own any suitcases larger than an official carry-on sized roller bag. For my 12-day cruise and for my upcoming B2B (totaling 14 days) I bring an extra shoulder bag to accommodate the extra clothing. I think anything longer than two weeks, I would just pay to have laundry done and not pack any extra, because I wouldn't want to have to bring a second roller bag. While I always check my roller bag at the pier on embarkation, I usually do the self walk-off option for disembarkation and having to haul a second roller bag would be a huge pain.

Edited by JamieLogical

36 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I bring my backpack (packed as described in the OP) as my "carry-on" for the ship. I bring a carry-on-sized roller bag

Which of those is your "carry on" and which is your "one personal item"?

I keep an excel spreadsheet for my vacations every year.  I have one tab that is a generic packing list with all the necessities for DH and myself which I modify based on the length, temperatures, and type of vacation.  I have one tab that tracks my allotted vacation day usage from work and what I have scheduled to take (last year for that as I am retiring in January and DH already is retired).  I have one tab for each planned vacation for that year that I put a calendar of the month of our vacations so I can visually see the dates, our itinerary, addresses, phone numbers, confirmation numbers, travel agent info, insurance info, etc.  Basically all pertinent information about our trip on one page that I give to whomever needs it for emergency contact while we are gone (kids, mother, work, etc) and take a printed copy in my Travelon back pack with any travel documents I need. 

I keep travel supplies in my closet ready to go and replenish when we return from a trip.  I use an over the door shoe holder (that I used to use on vacations when we took the kids and had 4 in the room) permanently hung on high placed towel bar in my closet that holds things that I don't always use on all our trips, or extras if I buy them on sale,  but holds them for me in one spot so I can grab them when I need them.  Things like travel size toiletries, wrinkle releaser, sun tan lotion, lanyards/key chains, cards, my travel contact solution bag with spare contacts, extra sunglasses, cruise luggage tags, towel clips, cooling towels, magnets, night light plug adapter, charging cords, etc. Keeps everything in one spot, out of the way and easily accessible for when I need to grab it to throw in a carry on, one of our bags below, or my back pack.

For traveling I use a small hanging travel bag that I keep fully stocked  ready to go and hanging on the same bar as the over the door shoe holder with make up, hair supplies, and and smaller toiletries like dental care, clippers, and q-tips.  I have a larger see through plastic bag for larger toiletries like deodorants, shaver, suntan lotion, etc that I keep packed and ready on a shelf.  I have a second medium sized plastic see through bag that acts as a first aid kit including over the counter medications. Finally a third small plastic see though bag to hold a small bath sponge, travel size conditioner, and shower gel (things that I can pack away wet).    All these bags are always ready to go so I just have to throw them in a suitcase...usually our checked bag if we are flying or our carry on if we are driving.  I normally fly Delta with a Delta American Express so I get 1 free checked bag for both of us.  Comes in handy for longer trips as we don't have to worry about over packing.

As for clothes my basic rule of thumb for myself is one outfit per day plus a spare, 1-2 dresses if needed for elegant nights, 2-3 swimsuits with a cover up, 2-3 night gowns, 2 bras, and socks if necessary.  My downfall is sandals.  I definitely over pack with them.  DH on the other hand throws in about twice as many shirts as I tell him he needs and usually brings half back unworn.  We each have our vices.  For the most part we are pretty organized travelers and ready to retire so we can travel even more.

Edited by Warm Breezes

1 minute ago, clo said:

Which of those is your "carry on" and which is your "one personal item"?

If flying, the roller bag is my "carry on" and my backpack is the one personal item, as it fits under the seat ahead of me. I don't carry a purse or anything, just a wallet in my jeans pocket.

55 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

If flying, the roller bag is my "carry on" and my backpack is the one personal item, as it fits under the seat ahead of me. I don't carry a purse or anything, just a wallet in my jeans pocket.

Oh good. I finally replaced my carry on with one that will fit under the seat if need be. Due to the pigs who carry on more than they should and the airlines for not enforcing their own rules.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I might add for anyone flying - bring a washcloth in a ziplock bag. I wet the washcloth and breathe through it to help alleviate the effects of dry air on the plane. Really helps. Obviously you don't need it on the cruise but since I have to fly wherever I go it is mandatory for me to keep my skin and mucous tissue hydrated.